Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arctic Monkeys Marlay Park July 12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

peekachoo wrote: »
    "Alex Turner can pretend to be cool with his leather jacket and quiff, but that won't change the fact that the Cornerstone video happened." - youtube comment :D
    Ah stop. The video makes me so happy ahaha.
    I know. They played it in Finsbury Park, and A Certain Romance! Hoping naively for a repeat.

I feel this warrants a posting, for those of you who may not have seen this gem yet, it's Alex at his best :pac:

That bit when he ducks down and moves towards the camera and pops up gets me every damn time!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Duff

R.I.P good craic Alex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Duff wrote: »
    Just had a look at the setlist from the first time I seen them in The AMbassador (See what I did there).

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/arctic-monkeys/2006/ambassador-theatre-dublin-ireland-23d0a8ff.html

/nostalgia.

My first Arctic Monkeys gig setlist http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/arctic-monkeys/2007/belongil-fields-byron-bay-australia-4bd1bbe6.html

I didnt see them at Splendour but at a warm up gig the week before in Brisbane in a venue the size of the Academy, they played the same songs :cool:

threein99 wrote: »
    My first Arctic Monkeys gig setlist http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/arctic-monkeys/2007/belongil-fields-byron-bay-australia-4bd1bbe6.html

I didnt see them at Splendour but at a warm up gig the week before in Brisbane in a venue the size of the Academy, they played the same songs :cool:

Ah f*ck. Add in a few tunes from Humbug and that is my dream set!! Balaclava must have been epic!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Maybe I'm on my own here, but I couldn't give a flying fcuk how much "craic" Alex is, as long as they keep producing quality music. I'm going to the concert to hear them play, not for the crap forced banter between songs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Maybe I'm on my own here, but I couldn't give a flying fcuk how much "craic" Alex is, as long as they keep producing quality music. I'm going to the concert to hear them play, not for the crap forced banter between songs.

Couldn't agree more, couldn't care less if he doesnt say a word in between songs as long as they put on a decent show.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Which, imo, is subject to the setlist they produce on the day.
    sure I'm going as a fan etc but I'm just not excited to the point I should be, by the current setlist doing the rounds.
    (And I know, I know, they're touring AM etc etc :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

He can be good craic or give us a decent setlist. We're missing out on both by the looks of things. It's not the setlist itself, more then lazy attitude towards it - it's been the exact same since the tour started.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Duff

Aye, but he's still an arrogant pr1ck now. Also, to make a gig as enjoyable as possible you need some crowd interaction and ''forced banter'' as you put it. Otherwise you may as well just stick on a CD at home and save your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 zvseire

Anyone know if there will be a bar to purchase alcoholic beverages at the concert?

• Advertisement

zvseire wrote: »
    Anyone know if there will be a bar to purchase alcoholic beverages at the concert?

There will, 6 euro a pint and the queues tends to be very long so drink early if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

He can be good craic or give us a decent setlist. We're missing out on both by the looks of things. It's not the setlist itself, more then lazy attitude towards it - it's been the exact same since the tour started.

As I said to you before why go if you feel that way? must be a better way to spending your Saturday night if you aint happy,

I for one haven't got a problem with the set list, I though and still think AM is their best album to date, I'm not upset the setlist isn't full of songs from their first two albums. For me I'm there to hear music not for a Frontman to chat and try to please me with his wit.

Which, imo, is subject to the setlist they produce on the day.
    sure I'm going as a fan etc but I'm just not excited to the point I should be, by the current setlist doing the rounds.
    (And I know, I know, they're touring AM etc etc :pac:)

Then why not go into a local field, with a few can's and get your ipod out and pick out what would be your favourite Arctic Monkey's setlist and have the time of your life :pac:.

Come one if you are a diehard Monkey's fan you must have known what the setlist was going to be, it's been like this since the Finsbury Park gigs and even before. On their day, which 99% cent of the time they are one of the best live acts about.

Looper007 wrote: »
    As I said to you before why go if you feel that way? must be a better way to spending your Saturday night if you aint happy,

I for one haven't got a problem with the set list, I though and still think AM is their best album to date, I'm not upset the setlist isn't full of songs from their first two albums. For me I'm there to hear music not for a Frontman to chat and try to please me with his wit.

I'm talking in relative terms, of course I'd rather spend my Saturdays watching AM than sitting at home. Since you think AM is their best album then I understand that this concert will suit you which is great, but surely the converse should apply - for those of us who prefer their early stuff why would you begrudge us a few classic tunes?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭BubbaM

I don't have any problem with the songs in the current setlist as I love all their albums but it is a bit ridiculous playing the same 20 or so songs in the exact same order constantly.. In my opinion, they could easily add another 3 or 4 older songs to the current list and play about 24 songs. I'm still looking forward to it!

Saw them last night at Roskilde festival. Absolutely excellent as expected, did wonder about the setlist being identical. Still looking forward to next Saturday though.

Looper007 wrote: »
    Then why not go into a local field, with a few can's and get your ipod out and pick out what would be your favourite Arctic Monkey's setlist and have the time of your life :pac:.

Come one if you are a diehard Monkey's fan you must have known what the setlist was going to be, it's been like this since the Finsbury Park gigs and even before. On their day, which 99% cent of the time they are one of the best live acts about.

What TimeToShine said!
    I mean the KoL setlist was nearly 30 songs long the other night, it couldn't be that hard to throw in one or two classics, that they KNOW the entire crowd are dying to hear!
    I'm still looking forward to it, obviously, like I'm sure we all are. All I'm saying it wouldn't kill them to switch it up a bit.

Monkeys are never ones to go for a long set though. Have they ever had a set over 20 songs?

For me it's a case that, I'm very excited but, all the songs they play I have already heard live bar the AM ones. And yeah the likes of Do I Wanna Know and R u Mine? are gunna be great but Knee Socks, Snap Out Of It etc. grand tunes but don't see them being good live, not when they have so many classics they could do that don't get regular play at all.

That said, it's gunna be great whatever set they play, I honestly love all of their songs, but it's exactly because of that that I wish they just mixed it up a little!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭riskshamam

But seriously imagine if they played the Glastonbury version of Mardy Bum (the one with the strings). Hearing that live would be just so perfect.

Can we set up some sort of petition ? (srs)

Or even a petition to get a few whatever people say I am songs. I mean I know very few real fans going who wouldn't give their left arm for a few classics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Zed Bank

Possibly a bit late now, but does anyone know if there's a bus going up from Waterford City?

• Advertisement

riskshamam wrote: »
    But seriously imagine if they played the Glastonbury version of Mardy Bum (the one with the strings). Hearing that live would be just so perfect.

Can we set up some sort of petition ? (srs)

Or even a petition to get a few whatever people say I am songs. I mean I know very few real fans going who wouldn't give their left arm for a few classics.

That was absolutely incredible...wishful thinking though. It took an orchestra and of course it was glasto. This is a field in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭riskshamam

That was absolutely incredible...wishful thinking though. It took an orchestra and of course it was glasto. This is a field in Dublin!

Ya they're not going to hire an orchestra on a weeks notice for a field in Dublin. But just how great would it be holy ****.

Then again maybe if we set one up Alex will see the light and change the tour to the "whatever people say I am that's what I'm not tour" and then we'll all live happily ever after

riskshamam wrote: »
    Ya they're not going to hire an orchestra on a weeks notice for a field in Dublin. But just how great would it be holy ****.

Then again maybe if we set one up Alex will see the light and change the tour to the "whatever people say I am that's what I'm not tour" and then we'll all live happily ever after

I'm up for that.
    Although if I ever heard that version live, I'm sure the d*ck with the camera would zoom in my face on the big screen in a blubbing mess crying my eyes out :P

And their first stand alone gig in 5 years, I'm just grateful they are playing in a field in front of Arctic Monkey fan's for once. Yeah it be nice for them to throw in a few different songs but they never been that type of band to change it up every gig really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ciaranc1991

heard bad reports about the bar from the kings of leon gig last night, hope its not too bad next week

What TimeToShine said!
    I mean the KoL setlist was nearly 30 songs long the other night, it couldn't be that hard to throw in one or two classics, that they KNOW the entire crowd are dying to hear!
    I'm still looking forward to it, obviously, like I'm sure we all are. All I'm saying it wouldn't kill them to switch it up a bit.

But Monkey's have never been that type of band to kiss the ass of their crowd, they do as they please. Only at Glastonbury was the only time I seen them try to tick the boxes. At KOL gigs I always feel lacks a bit of soul for me just throw out the hits a bit like Oasis at the end for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Likely set times? No pit by the looks of it? Best bet to get a Marathon Bus?

I've seen Mardy Bum live, just sayin' :cool:

Getting v excited for this now! Can't wait for Crying Lightning and the glorious 505!

Now that I think of it at the O2 gig back in 09 he played Florescent Adolescent with a snippet of Mardy Bum at the end and in the middle of Crying Lightning he launched into 'If you want my body and you think I'm sexy come on sugar let me know' It was epic! So, hopefully Alex mixes it up a little bit like that :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Can someone advise on shuttles from the city to Marlay park? And also, is it difficult to get taxis from the city afterwards?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement