Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arctic Monkeys Marlay Park July 12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

niallo24 wrote: »
    Lads he is not going to respond to this chant idea in my opinion. For big arena tours and whatnot they have the stage lights and everything preset for each song, there is never any room for improv.

You have clearly never seen a band like Pearl Jam for example. There is no reason why Improv cant happen

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fago123

Chanting for a particular song you want played? Na, count me out of that nonsense.

Your favourite song might not be everyone else's favourite song. The classic you love might be getting slightly tiresome for someone who has seen the band multiple times & want to hear some rarer stuff (and vice versa). Just enjoy the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

srfc d16 wrote: »
    I live in Ballinteer and that's the way I would come in from town. What time are you planning on getting there?

Hopefully trying to get out there for 5 I'd say to meet my mates, 40 mins to drive? Going to be cutting it tight so don't mind walking a bit.
    nm wrote: »
    Parnell Road, Harolds Cross, Rathgar, Churchtown, Ballinteer for me but much of a muchness.

I remember for Kasabian 2 years ago Harolds Cross was nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,683 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

How long will it take to get a bus from the Quays out to Marlay Park, and then into the actual gig area would ye think? I've never been to Marlay Park before and wouldn't mind seeing Royal Blood for a bit so just trying to trace back my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Couple of friends and I planning on doing the same thing. One of my friends in particular, I told him we could probably show up a bit later and be grand but he's not havin' any of it, 12 is the very latest we'll be getting there. I'll help spread the word. :P

Edit: Does the fact that it's 5 syllables make it awkward to chant?

Ooh see you there so!
    My friends are the same, theyre bringing a flag for the barrier and everything :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Sorry but this idea of getting 40,000 people to chant for a song is ridiculous.

As one poster said,just enjoy the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭riskshamam

Why is it ridiculous? Oh is it maybe because you dont like the song. Ya you're right, I should just keep quiet and enjoy the gig and then go home and have a good nights sleep and dream about how lovely it was. No ridiculousness or any of that crowd interaction to spoil the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Hopefully trying to get out there for 5 I'd say to meet my mates, 40 mins to drive? Going to be cutting it tight so don't mind walking a bit.

Would you get parking in Marlay if you were there for 5 do you think?

Sorry but this idea of getting 40,000 people to chant for a song is ridiculous.

As one poster said,just enjoy the gig.

Its gonna be amazing regardless. I have no intentions to start anything off, but if something did kick off a crowd chant I'd join in, what harm really? If they played it, class. If not its a bit of craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fago123

riskshamam wrote: »
    Why is it ridiculous? Oh is it maybe because you dont like the song. Ya you're right, I should just keep quiet and enjoy the gig and then go home and have a good nights sleep and dream about how lovely it was. No ridiculousness or any of that crowd interaction to spoil the gig.

Nobody is asking you to keep quiet, don't know how you make the leap from keeping quiet to the ridiculous idea of a mass chant for a song. Surely you can have a great time at a gig without trying to force a band into playing your favourite track?

As I said above, what if I don't particularly want the song ye are all mass chanting for? Do I start up my own chant to counteract your chant?

Every gig is luck of the draw as regards whether your favourites are played or not, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. Can't say I've ever personally come home from a gig and thought "pity they didn't play my all time favourite track....damn I wish there was a mass chant to change the bands mind"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

You should do there is plenty of parking for the gigs in the back car park on college road.

Fago123 wrote: »
    Nobody is asking you to keep quiet, don't know how you make the leap from keeping quiet to the ridiculous idea of a mass chant for a song. Surely you can have a great time at a gig without trying to force a band into playing your favourite track?

As I said above, what if I don't particularly want the song ye are all mass chanting for? Do I start up my own chant to counteract your chant?

Every gig is luck of the draw as regards whether your favourites are played or not, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. Can't say I've ever personally come home from a gig and thought "pity they didn't play my all time favourite track....damn I wish there was a mass chant to change the bands mind"

Ok, ok the whole keeping quiet thing was an exaggeration. But I'm still not seeing your reasons for the "ridiculousness". So far all you've said is that you might not like the song. So what like? Start a counter chant if you want but I'm sure you'll find that there are VERY few real fans who despise the song enough to not want it played.

If it does get going properly it will be a hell of an atmosphere if he plays it. And if he doesn't he'll probably say "well I can't play that atm but I will play this if ye really wanna hear an old tune". Maybe he won't but it won't do any harm

Look I think what people aren't seeing about this is that, the reason for the chant is to show them that the whole crowd really wants the song. Alex doesn't play classics because they feel stale but it won't be stale if we're all cheering for it.

We're not looking to hold him at gunpoint and say "play the ****ing song". We just want to show them that people want to here it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

The date looms closer :D Get on your dancing shoes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

There's only music, so that there's new ringtones- Great line from that song

buyer95 wrote: »
    There's only music, so that there's new ringtones- Great line from that song

And it dont take no Sherlock Holmes to see its a little different around here you know

Fago123 wrote: »
    Chanting for a particular song you want played? Na, count me out of that nonsense.

Your favourite song might not be everyone else's favourite song. The classic you love might be getting slightly tiresome for someone who has seen the band multiple times & want to hear some rarer stuff (and vice versa). Just enjoy the gig.

The whole idea of the chant is that almost everyone WANTS it played because it is so RARELY played i.e. it IS the 'rarer stuff'.

If that's not the case then the chant won't kick off and we'll all accept that its just not as popular as we thought. If it does I will have no sympathy for the 'die hard fan' who's seen it all before and is now begrudging anyone else the opportunity to hear it because its too 'tiresome'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I got there around 7 for the Kings of Leon gig and parked in there no problem but i know this gig starts earlier but id say it will be no problem as majority are busing or public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

The date looms closer :D Get on your dancing shoes!!

And your wet gear by the looks of it :P

I can't wait for this gig, I understand why they don't play their older stuff, luckily I love all their stuff so any setlist will do me.

threein99 wrote: »
    And your wet gear by the looks of it :P

I can't wait for this gig, I understand why they don't play their older stuff, luckily I love all their stuff so any setlist will do me.

I'm intending to go in shorts and a t regardless of the weather! I'll have a naggin and a few pints in me so, be grand :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm intending to go in shorts and a t regardless of the weather! I'll have a naggin and a few pints in me so, be grand :P

Why??! You'll be miserable if its cold and raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Getting a lift :D
    andreac wrote: »
    I got there around 7 for the Kings of Leon gig and parked in there no problem but i know this gig starts earlier but id say it will be no problem as majority are busing or public transport.

You weren't driving from town? Trying to suss the best route/quickest out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Need a little advice here. taking my Girlfriend to the gig but she's not a fan of this kind of music so just wondering where are the less hassled places to stand at gigs as I don't want her moaning and groaning at me.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Why??! You'll be miserable if its cold and raining.

Honestly? I have this weird thing about being in wet clothes it drives me mental I dunno why. Shorts and a t doesn't bother me, is it lacking in logic completely? Absolutely!

Looper007 wrote: »
    Need a little advice here. taking my Girlfriend to the gig but she's not a fan of this kind of music so just wondering where are the less hassled places to stand at gigs as I don't want her moaning and groaning at me.

Bring her right up the front and show her what she's missing

If she doesn't like the arctic monkeys, dump her

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

riskshamam wrote: »
    If she doesn't like the arctic monkeys, dump her

She has to go to the gig cause I went to the last Westlife gig at Croke park, so it's time she took one for the team :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Getting a lift :D

You weren't driving from town? Trying to suss the best route/quickest out there.

I drove down the M50 and then came back off at the Firhouse exit. Both were bumper to bumper either off at Firhouse or at Dundrum, the whole way to the gig, not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

She has to go to the gig cause I went to the last Westlife gig at Croke park, so it's time she took one for the team :pac:

God help you. She better be a stunner!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 cathyledger

cant wait for this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement