Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arctic Monkeys Marlay Park July 12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Jamies15

Fella beside me threw a full pint of piss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Don't understand the love for the Bugg. He just stands on stage like a surly teenager plonking out his tunes with ZERO interaction for the crowd. I don't recall him saying one word and he did the same thing as last year at Longitude in that he sang his big hit of the moment twice. I think his music is alright but I would never get a ticket to go see him as I would get the same from listening to his music at home.

Royal Blood were freakin awesome, second time to see them this month. I loves them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

I saw some vicious little pup doing a Luis Suarez impression. He bit some guys arm. The guy went apesh1t but had very little room to grapple in the crush.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Drake66 wrote: »
    It was a great gig somewhat spoiled by some of the crowd, especially the idiots throwing half empty plastic cups

The most of crowd were a bloody disgrace, especially the young lads. one of the little ****s kicked my girlfriend in the back :mad:. I really would like the booze age be put up to over 21's at gigs and for security to be a lot more tougher, I'm not saying every all under 20's are bloody drunken fools. Another thing people talking during acts was crazy yesterday. During Jake Bugg it was at it's worse.

Anyway the gig was great. Royal Blood and Arctic Monkeys were awesome, Jake Bugg was fine, needs to be a bit more talkative cause he lost the crowd a bit. Miles Kane was fine too.

Loved the Knee Snocks into My Propeller was awesome, the AM songs got massive reactions, any song from their first two albums got big reactions. I thought the songs from SIAS and Humbug got a nice reaction.

I was a bit underwhelmed by the whole day after looking forward to it for so long, I thought Miles Kane was the highlight.

As has been said already, the amount of scumbags around was mad from the minute I walked through the gates at about half 3.

• Advertisement

Royal Blood were class. Best opening act by a distance

Miles Kane was good. Good music good show man I like it

Jake Bugg was pathetic, terrible act just zero energy. The lad might as well have sat down during that excuse for a performance

Arctic Monkeys rocked it, crowd weren't great. Too young and ignorant to have been Monkeys fans since WPSIATWIN. Found myself the only one around singing along to their old stuff.

I thought the old stuff (first two albums) and AM era got some big reactions, but anything from Humbug and SIAS, you could tell the real die hard fan's.

The thing that shocked me was the amount of teenage girls that their fanbase has gathered on with AM Album, been a fan since 2005 and been too every gig they've done in Ireland. No way was their early gigs have that many young girls, as one woman said to me on the bus "It's the Haircuit" :pac:

I was a bit underwhelmed by the whole day after looking forward to it for so long, I thought Miles Kane was the highlight.

As has been said already, the amount of scumbags around was mad from the minute I walked through the gates at about half 3.

Over Arctic Monkeys and Royal Blood :eek:, I though Kane is a great stage presence but Monkeys and Blood blew him off the stage. Bugg needs to add a bit of strange presence to his act, he lost the crowd and only got them back when he played his hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭shamtastic

good gig, knew the setlist would be the same as all their gigs lately but it was still very enjoyable. prob could have dropped songs like fireside and library pictures in favour of stuff like teddy picker/this house is a circus. roughish crowd, my missus bought a wolly hat from the merch stand only for some little sh*t to swipe it off her head after the gig. little did he expect me to sprint after him and two minutes later justice was served, the little scrote got the fright of his life! hat returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

One for the road was absolutely incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sebbplatter

Crowd was mostly alright I thought but as usual some pricks ruining the fun for everyone. One group of lads beside had 4/5 of them literally picking up and throwing one of them at others, one girl got knocked out.

They were "literally picking up" what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

threein99 wrote: »
    Hopefully it was just water and Heineken as I seen a guy pissing in a pint glass.

I was hit with what I thought was Heineken, now I'm worried lol. Went into the gig having never listened to any of the support acts but Royal Blood won me over big time, they were really good. Miles Kane had a good stage presence too, seemed like he loved being up there, unlike Bugg. Decent enough mix of non-AM songs for it being an AM tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I thought they were good without being great. Good gig all the same though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

They were "literally picking up" what?

The group of lads would pick one of their members up and **** him across at people. As in pick up a person and throw him, and they were big enough ****ers as it is.

Anyway, think I'll avoid Marlay Park in future unless absolutely necessary. Seems to be attracting an absolute heap of young Dublin scummers lately who see it as a "day out down the road". Nearly ruined Kanye and this one in my view, I can only imagine how bad Longitude will be next week. Sound production and lights show is also awful - parking setup was decent to be fair to them but doesn't make up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I was probably 5/6 people away from the front in the center and seen no trouble at all, all the lads around me seemed to be there for the music and had a great time. That said I was pretty bored for Jake Bugg and just wanted Monkeys but man when Monkeys came on :D Everyone went mental and the crush was rough at the start, my neck is wrecked but still had a great time! Think we got lucky cos there was a great atmosphere around us for all the tunes. Certain Romance and that extra bit of R U Mine absolutely made the night. I was fairly on it all the same so that could have contributed :P Went into Workmans after and the DJ played 505 it was glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Jacks Smirking Revenge

Royal Blood were fucking immense best support act by a considerable margin.
    I kinda drifted in and out of Miles Kane and Jake Bugg, both very "meh" to me.

Arctic Monkeys were pretty damn good. Thought they slowed down the set a bit to much though..could have done without Fireside, No. 1 party anthem and that inexplicably slowed down version of She's Thunderstorms.

Overall though it was a good gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭NightOfTheHunt

Is it standard for them not to play "When The Sun Goes Down" at gigs these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

On the AM tour, yep unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The lad Bugg has decent songs but absolutely no stage presence or attitude. He walks around like a zombie with not even a change of expression on his face. Its like he couldn't be arsed to be there, And honestly I couldn't be arsed to see him ever again.

Thought the exact same thing. If he can't be bothered with being there then I'm not going to be bothered to go see him again.

Thought Miles Kane was amazing and was the best act of the day - even better than Arctic Monkeys - who were very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Looper007 wrote: »
    Over Arctic Monkeys and Royal Blood :eek:, I though Kane is a great stage presence but Monkeys and Blood blew him off the stage. Bugg needs to add a bit of strange presence to his act, he lost the crowd and only got them back when he played his hits.

Actually I agree with flynner and super furry. Not being a big fan of any of the artists, I was mostly impressed by Mile Kane.
    Not to take anything away from Arctic Monkeys and Royal Blood, very good performances from both of them, I guess I prefer Miles Kane because of the way he interacts with the crowd, more to my liking.
    Jake Bugg was the "mixed bag" of the day: Amazing voice but he needs to do something about his stage presence: not even a smile for the whole hour. I don't know, is he like that always? Is is inexperience?

As for the drunken eejits: I have reconciled myself to this situation in all day concerts. I was around the sound tower most of the day but by the time AM came on stage the number of people that have lost it completely has increased drastically so I moved towards the side and enjoyed the rest of the gig.

Overall more positives that negatives. Nothing can beat live music!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Randy Anders

Good gig but wasn't a great setlist imo

Was sick they didn't play View from the afternoon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Is it standard for them not to play "When The Sun Goes Down" at gigs these days?

Noticed that when checking the setlist from their other recent gigs and it's a bit of a shocker to exclude it i thought

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

One thing I don't really understand is the mentality of going to these gigs for the piss up, saw a few people that could hardly stand by about 7pm. I mean you can get blotto any time you want, why would you want to get so drunk that you don't get to enjoy the band you paid 60 quid to see. Makes no sense.

Really enjoyed the Arctic Monkeys, I wasn't familiar with the support acts but recognised a few songs anyway. Would have liked to hear When The Sun Goes Down but liked the setlist anyway.

Got away with sneaking in a naggin, had it poured in a caprisun pouch and in one of the cups of my bra! My friends though had the glass naggin bottle in the middle of their bras, but the security woman checking them did a karate chop to their breastbone and caught it. Squishy is the way to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭JamieHP

There was a girl beside me, so drunk, that she couldn't clap her hands, every time she went to clap them she missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Drake66

Looper007 wrote: »
    The most of crowd were a bloody disgrace, especially the young lads. one of the little ****s kicked my girlfriend in the back :mad:. I really would like the booze age be put up to over 21's at gigs and for security to be a lot more tougher, I'm not saying every all under 20's are bloody drunken fools. Another thing people talking during acts was crazy yesterday. During Jake Bugg it was at it's worse.

Anyway the gig was great. Royal Blood and Arctic Monkeys were awesome, Jake Bugg was fine, needs to be a bit more talkative cause he lost the crowd a bit. Miles Kane was fine too.

Loved the Knee Snocks into My Propeller was awesome, the AM songs got massive reactions, any song from their first two albums got big reactions. I thought the songs from SIAS and Humbug got a nice reaction.

That's horrible, I hope your girlfriend was alright.

I remember the security was a lot tougher at the Kasabian gig there two years ago: they had guys going through the crowd throwing anybody acting the ape out. I didn't see any of that in the area I was standing in yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I thought there was a noticeably heavy garda presence yesterday.
    Love AM and thought it was a great set, but I had such an incredible experience at arcade fire, in comparison, the crowd last night spoiled the evening for me.
    Think I'm officially past it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

It was a mixed night for me. I loved Arctic Monkeys and really enjoyed the tunes. Would have loved to have heard Mardy Bum and Sun Goes Down, but the setlist was good and, obviously, it was their AM tour. I felt there were too many supporting acts. I think max two would have been enough. To be honest, I was really only there for AM. Royal Blood were fine. Jake Bugg was ok but nothing really to write home about. I'm not a Miles Kane fan so I sat away from it for most of it. My feet are wrecked today from standing but it was well worth it for AM.

I didn't really safe in the crowd though and at Marlay Park in general. Was sick of that repeated BS of throwing half filled pints of Heineken at people. I don't like to be ageist but there were a lot of people barely 18 and were lifting each other and throwing each other at other people, right near me. Had some eejit try to sell me tabs because he thought I looked bored and wanted me to be as buzzed as he was. Also transport at the end was a nightmare. There were signs for taxis but AFAIK there were no taxis and I had to basically walk most the way home. I think Marlay Park could have been organised a bit better as a concert venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I got a taxi handy, luckily I was with someone with local knowledge!

'Pints' were €6 ffs! What sort of eejits were wasting them?!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Arrived at the main enclosure around 7. First thing I saw was a bloke so off his face that he had collapsed onto his from his sitting position on the grass. One of his mates hauled him up and he fell right back down again as soon as he let go of his mate. Didn't see the point of him being there if that's what he was gonna do tbh.

The live version of Knee Socks lacks the energy of the recorded one. Was disappointed at the lack of Humbug songs. A lot of people around me didn't seem to have a clue about a lot of the set apart from the hits. I enjoyed the gig for the most part. Set was still pretty good and the crowd in general seemed in good voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Don't understand the love for the Bugg. He just stands on stage like a surly teenager plonking out his tunes with ZERO interaction for the crowd. I don't recall him saying one word and he did the same thing as last year at Longitude in that he sang his big hit of the moment twice. I think his music is alright but I would never get a ticket to go see him as I would get the same from listening to his music at home.

Royal Blood were freakin awesome, second time to see them this month. I loves them.

No he didn't :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

SantryRed wrote: »
    No he didn't :confused:

He sang Lightning Bolt twice last year at Longitude and sang another song twice last night.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement