Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arctic Monkeys Marlay Park July 12

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

I thought the gig was unreal! I was up at the barrier for both Macklemore and AM and Macklemore was much worse for the shoving. I have to say the security were great with dealing with the few lads who would push up to the front then get their 5 friends up to. The squashing was bad but it was worth it... Saw a fair few people having to be dragged out by security and at least passed out when they got out but luckily paramedics were on guard to help them.

I always see people complain about Marathon shuttle buses but every time I used it I was back in the city centre 50 minutes after the concert ended so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Joekers

Mince Pie wrote: »
    He sang Lightning Bolt twice last year at Longitude and sang another song twice last night.

What song did he do twice last night ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Joekers wrote: »
    What song did he do twice last night ?

Don't know the name of it, and if he didn't it sounded remarkably alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 choccymousse

Arrived at the gig around 6.30 ish , first thing we saw was a girl no more than 16 being carried out off her head . Set the tone for the night . What really gets to me is the flinging of the pints across the crowd . I was left soaked after one eejit threw it across - as another poster said the pints are €6 - some waste !! I loved the AM's , felt they did lose the crowd from time to time and enjoyed jake bugg . I just didn't enjoy the atmosphere there - it was messy and felt like it could have kicked off at any time . Maybe I'm just officially past it but I felt a lot of the crowd weren't there to appreciate the music and am not sure I would be back to Marlay park for a gig again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

The Cool wrote: »
    One thing I don't really understand is the mentality of going to these gigs for the piss up, saw a few people that could hardly stand by about 7pm. I mean you can get blotto any time you want, why would you want to get so drunk that you don't get to enjoy the band you paid 60 quid to see. Makes no sense.

Really enjoyed the Arctic Monkeys, I wasn't familiar with the support acts but recognised a few songs anyway. Would have liked to hear When The Sun Goes Down but liked the setlist anyway.

Got away with sneaking in a naggin, had it poured in a caprisun pouch and in one of the cups of my bra! My friends though had the glass naggin bottle in the middle of their bras, but the security woman checking them did a karate chop to their breastbone and caught it. Squishy is the way to go!

Capri Sun pouches are God's gift to people trying to sneak in drink

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Have to say I really enjoyed it, I wouldn't be a hardcore fan or anything but I was impressed. Marlay Park itself is such a nice setting with the trees and hills in the backdrop and the grass was grand, no fear of mud really.

Went too and from via the luas in Dundrum so a bit of a trek in and out and was surprised more people didn't take it even with the distance involved.

You'd imagine Jake Bugg will grow into live performances, he's got very good material and plenty of time to develop a stage persona. It was a good day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Duff

Good gig. Didn't see any scummy behaviour. I was in the middle by the sound stage and everyone there were having the craic and knew the majority of the songs. Highlights for me were seeing Royal Blood again and Pieminister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

He sang Lightning Bolt twice last year at Longitude and sang another song twice last night.

You're wrong about last night.

The red flares looked great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

How the hell do you fill a Capri sun pouch with drink and the keep it from spilling out? Sounds like a lot of effort for not that much drink :L

• Advertisement

How the hell do you fill a Capri sun pouch with drink and the keep it from spilling out? Sounds like a lot of effort for not that much drink :L

They are scew cap pouches now, the other ones would be an absolute disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

threein99 wrote: »
    They are scew cap pouches now, the other ones would be an absolute disaster.

Ahh I see, makes so much more sense now :L

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

threein99 wrote: »
    The red flares looked great

There was some amount of them. The guy was just to my right. He must have let off about four or five.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I really enjoyed my day but we did have to move twice in the crowd due to inconsiderate drunken/drugged loons. There was one guy who was acting really mental and throwing himself around and running through people, he then knocked into a guy and spilled his pint and there was nearly war. He fecked off out our area after that thankfully.

Other than the scumbaggy behaviour it was a fantastic gig.

Having never heard of Royal Blood before yesterday, I will defo be listening to a lot more of their stuff and if get the chance to see them again will be taking it. They were brill.

Miles Kane was meh really for me, despite again liking him before hand. Didn't really get into Jake Bugg despite being a fan, he was just limp and like he was bored with the whole thing.

Think that there was the right balance of old and new stuff by the Monkeys. I always liked them but AM made me fall in love with them and go back and relisten to their old stuff.

ShagNastii wrote: »
    There was some amount of them. The guy was just to my right. He must have let off about four or five.

They looked fantastic, they were at Electric Picnic last year too during AM

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭_ReyRey_

I wasn't a fan of Miles Kane or Royal Blood so I didn't know what to expect from them. I have to say I enjoyed Royal Blood but was I the only bored during Miles Kane? It could be because I wasn't familiar with any of the songs but I found myself checking the time throughout.
    I was so looking forward to seeing Jake Bugg after missing him at the Olympia last year but I was fairly disappointed with his performance. He has a great voice and a lot of potential but as it was said before, no stage presence whatsoever. He looked like he would rather be anywhere else. I'll continue to listen to his music but I can't see myself buying tickets to see him again.
    I was about 6 or 7 rows from the front and after Jake Bugg it was getting uncomfortably overpacked. Because it was so tightly packed everyone was leaning on eachother and there was a good bit of pushing, it had a sort of domino effect. That doesn't bother me too much but then some lad behind me starts smoking and I'm being burnt by the ashes falling on me? I didn't have to say anything, just turned around and gave him a look. He was clearly out of his mind anyway.
    It was all worth it once Arctic Monkeys came out. I thought they were absolutely incredible. I felt like I was the only one around me singing a lot of the songs not on AM like My Propeller, Crying Lightning and even 505 which surprised me. I would have never expected the acoustic A Certain Romance but it was one of the highlights for me.
    I came on a bus full of people under 18(including myself) and nearly everyone of them were hammered. I saw a good majority of them pushing out of the crowd before Arctic Monkeys even came out because they were so sick. I can't see why you'd pay so much money for a ticket and then risk not being able to fully remember the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I had a fair few pints in me myself by the time I got to Marley, but jaysis, the state of some people in there was mental, I'd be absolutely sickened if I got so drunk as to not even remember the gig!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Anyone who took part in the lime thrown between miles and Jake thank you

Anyone we hit sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

What really gets to me is the flinging of the pints across the crowd . I was left soaked after one eejit threw it across - as another poster said the pints are €6 - some waste !!

it was most likely full of his piss not beer and you got soaked in it mate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

From T in the Park on BBC3 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭NightOfTheHunt

srm23 wrote: »
    it was most likely full of his piss not beer and you got soaked in it mate

Lol, come to think of it I did see some lads pissing into the cups. Beats the walking and queueing for toilets I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 AMfan

I'm getting pissed off with people saying Jake bugg has no stage presence,been a huge fan of his for two years and going to c him for first time was great and monkeys on same night was fantastic aswell.but I have to Say Jake bugg was 100 times then ROYAL BLOOD and MILES KANE put together.crowd were lifeless for MK inpeticular and royal blood just didn't do it for me.crowd came to life for Jake and this "stage presence " complaining is bull,do ye want a ****ing performing clown on stage,I'd rather a crowd singing to a "lifeless" singer the watching Miles Kane do the ****ing splits in a rainbow coloured shirt with noone in crowd knowing his song.Jake might only introduce his songs and mumble "enjoy the rest of your evening" at end of his set but who gives a ****,he's not there to tell the crowd his life story. And also Alex turners"stage presence" is a joke.dancing around like a little gay boy Elvis impersonator is not stage presence and also the scripted "we are the AM from our green Sheffield" is not stage presence.AM r way to scripted for my liking lately

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

AMfan wrote: »
    I'm getting pissed off with people saying Jake bugg has no stage presence,been a huge fan of his for two years and going to c him for first time was great and monkeys on same night was fantastic aswell.but I have to Say Jake bugg was 100 times then ROYAL BLOOD and MILES KANE put together.crowd were lifeless for MK inpeticular and royal blood just didn't do it for me.crowd came to life for Jake and this "stage presence " complaining is bull,do ye want a ****ing performing clown on stage,I'd rather a crowd singing to a "lifeless" singer the watching Miles Kane do the ****ing splits in a rainbow coloured shirt with noone in crowd knowing his song.Jake might only introduce his songs and mumble "enjoy the rest of your evening" at end of his set but who gives a ****,he's not there to tell the crowd his life story. And also Alex turners"stage presence" is a joke.dancing around like a little gay boy Elvis impersonator is not stage presence and also the scripted "we are the AM from our green Sheffield" is not stage presence.AM r way to scripted for my liking lately

That hurt my eyes reading that

And it's your first post yet you call yourself AMFan, why not BuggFan if you hate the Monkeys so bad?

Comeback in a years time and tell me who's the bigger artist, Royal Blood or surly no charisma plonking out tunes Bugg. I know who I'll be putting my money on.
    And for the love of god please use a space bar, it makes reading rants a little easier.

Comeback in a years time and tell me who's the bigger artist, Royal Blood or surly no charisma plonking out tunes Bugg. I know who I'll be putting my money on.
    And for the love of god please use a space bar, it makes reading rants a little easier.

So royal blood (a singer who plays base and a drummer(sausagefest) ) will be bigger then Jake bugg,go to a doctor, how bout you come back when royal blood have two albums,they've been in the industry for two years which is the same as Jake bugg and the fact they don't have an album out is pathetic, all they played were singles yesterday, that's ****ing tragic....and pleas explain to me how royal blood had "charisma" hahahahah

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

So royal blood (a singer who plays base and a drummer(sausagefest) ) will be bigger then Jake bugg,go to a doctor, how bout you come back when royal blood have two albums,they've been in the industry for two years which is the same as Jake bugg and the fact they don't have an album out is pathetic, all they played were singles yesterday, that's ****ing tragic....and pleas explain to me how royal blood had "charisma" hahahahah

They actually have their debut album coming out next month. Dont most support bands just play their singles? then if possible throw in a few other tracks . Thats nothing new

Seriously? Sausagefest? How on earth is that a valid point to make? And they were formed in the current incarnation in 2013 and only play SXSW in March so I'd say they are doing pretty well at the moment and sales will be flying out when their album is released in August.

scudzilla wrote: »
    That hurt my eyes reading that

And it's your first post yet you call yourself AMFan, why not BuggFan if you hate the Monkeys so bad?

It's my first post coz I got pissed off with the whole "Jake bugg has no stage presence" ****,I was never that sad to actually make an account but today I had to make a ****ing point....I never said I hate the monkeys but alex's so called stage presence is terrible. They used to be alot better live

Seriously? Sausagefest? How on earth is that a valid point to make? And they were formed in the current incarnation in 2013 and only play SXSW in March so I'd say they are doing pretty well at the moment and sales will be flying out when their album is released in August.

"sales will b flying" hahahahahah....**** that made me laugh...point is Jake buggs sales r already flying so that point is so ****ings irreverent

• Advertisement

It's my first post coz I got pissed off with the whole "Jake bugg has no stage presence" ****,I was never that sad to actually make an account but today I had to make a ****ing point....I never said I hate the monkeys but alex's so called stage presence is terrible. They used to be alot better live

Fine you are entitled to an opinion. you do realise this is a discussion board and people tend to think differently.
    Bugg is a good musician but needs to work on his stage presence otherwise why would you go to see him if his "performance" is no different than listening to him at home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement