Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arctic Monkeys Marlay Park July 12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 AMfan

They actually have their debut album coming out next month. Dont most support bands just play their singles? then if possible throw in a few other tracks . Thats nothing new

I know that but they were nothing special yesterday, I'm just trying to make point that noone should give a **** bout stage presence

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

AMfan wrote: »
    "sales will b flying" hahahahahah....**** that made me laugh...point is Jake buggs sales r already flying so that point is so ****ings irreverent

Aaaaaaand I'm done here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

It's my first post coz I got pissed off with the whole "Jake bugg has no stage presence" ****,I was never that sad to actually make an account but today I had to make a ****ing point....I never said I hate the monkeys but alex's so called stage presence is terrible. They used to be alot better live

Calm down will ya.

I agree with you in that Alex has become a bit of a dick and AM are nowhere near as good live as they used to be. Having said that, he whipped out his guitar for A Certain Romance so I really can't say anything bad about him because that made my day.

Jake didn't want to be there, it was plain to see. He's far more suited to indoor gigs. Royal Blood are a tremendous live act but the two just aren't comparable. Maybe you didn't like their music and that's fair enough but they had loads of energy and they were clearly putting in a huge effort to engage the crowd, Jake to be honest didn't and he actually looked visibly irritated singing lightning bolt because it's the only one the crowd perked up for. Understandable but it doesn't contribute to a good stage presence, and as big as he is, he's still a support act so he should have been trying to sell himself to the crowd. Royal Blood and Miles Kane did that very well, IMO Jake did not.

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Fine you are entitled to an opinion. you do realise this is a discussion board and people tend to think differently.
    Bugg is a good musician but needs to work on his stage presence otherwise why would you go to see him if his "performance" is no different than listening to him at home.

Ok so answer me this.... Why do you "discuss" with people on a behind a ****ing computer when you can do it in REAL ****ING LIFE...."why go see him live" what the actual ****...bands tend to sound the same live as they perform songs from their albums...nuh nuh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

Ok so answer me this.... Why do you "discuss" with people on a behind a ****ing computer when you can do it in REAL ****ING LIFE...."why go see him live" what the actual ****...bands tend to sound the same live as they perform songs from their albums...nuh nuh

And yet you're still here :confused::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Calm down will ya.

I agree with you in that Alex has become a bit of a dick and AM are nowhere near as good live as they used to be. Having said that, he whipped out his guitar for A Certain Romance so I really can't say anything bad about him because that made my day.

Jake didn't want to be there, it was plain to see. He's far more suited to indoor gigs. Royal Blood are a tremendous live act but the two just aren't comparable. Maybe you didn't like their music and that's fair enough but they had loads of energy and they were clearly putting in a huge effort to engage the crowd, Jake to be honest didn't and he actually looked visibly irritated singing lightning bolt because it's the only one the crowd perked up for. Understandable but it doesn't contribute to a good stage presence, and as big as he is, he's still a support act so he should have been trying to sell himself to the crowd. Royal Blood and Miles Kane did that very well, IMO Jake did not.

Fair enough, but how can you notice "irritation" during live gig

And yet you're still here :confused::rolleyes:

This is a once off...plus its 1.50 am and I have nothing better to do,but infairness some sad ****s r on this all day

Fair enough, but can you notice "irristation" during live gig

Could see it from his body language, he just hopped from one song straight to the other, didn't crack a smile at all.

I'm a fan as well and know he's a very, very talented fella. Has the potential to be the Bob Dylan of our generation, we forget he's only 20 so he has years to work on it. I'm sure if you go to the his gig in the Olympia in a few months and come back here you'll see a completely different response.

This is a once off...plus its 1.50 am and I have nothing better to do,but infairness some sad ****s r on this all day

Scar tissue:3023 posts me:7...hahahah, don't make me out to b a sad ****

Could see it from his body language, he just hopped from one song straight to the other, didn't crack a smile at all.

I'm a fan as well and know he's a very, very talented fella. Has the potential to be the Bob Dylan of our generation, we forget he's only 20 so he has years to work on it. I'm sure if you go to the his gig in the Olympia in a few months and come back here you'll see a completely different response.
    True true....is Olympia a good venue...I'm only 16 but hoping to see Jake and beady eye the next time they play there...is Jake's Olympia gig sold out btw

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

True true....is Olympia a good venue...I'm only 16 but hoping to see Jake and beady eye the next time they play there...is Jake's Olympia gig sold out btw

You say Royal Blood are crap but yet say you want to see Beady Eye :rolleyes::rolleyes:

No it's not, October 13th is the date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Seen AM at Rock Werchter last week and his stage presence ruined it for me, chap is a bellend. Nowhere near as good as they used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sebbplatter

nbar12 wrote: »
    Seen AM at Rock Werchter last week and his stage presence ruined it for me, chap is a bellend. Nowhere near as good as they used to be.

So you went to see them again in Marlay just for the heck of it despite not rating them and hating on the singer? Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 rockey4215

So for once it looks like I managed to completely miss the rough element of a gig. I had such a good time, all day. Didn't see any trouble from the crowd from where I was, in fact I thought it was a great atmosphere. Everyone around me knew pretty much every Arctic Monkeys song word for word so it was one hell of a singalong. A Certain Romance happened, my life peaked. Terrific gig all in all, sorry to hear that others didn't have the same experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

So you went to see them again in Marlay just for the heck of it despite not rating them and hating on the singer? Hmmm.

I never said I seen them at Marley. Seen this thread, read the comments and gave my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fago123

Enjoyed the gig despite the occasional poor sound and the chap beside me who thought it'd be helpful to check his phone after every song and announce to everyone within earshot what was next.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I'm still singing A Certain Romance in my head, truly glorious. Tbh I had no time for Jake Bugg before the gig and his performance hardly sold me! Monkeys can get away with poor stage presence (which I don't fully agree with or maybe it's cos it doesn't bother me) cos they still bang out there tunes and they at least don't seem like they're bored and not wanting to be there.

I don't know why he decided to whip out A Certain Romance, maybe he's gunna do that for all their gigs now but it really made that gig epic imo!!

Personally I like to believe we were such an awesome crowd they decided, feck it, they've earned this one ;)

You say Royal Blood are crap but yet say you want to see Beady Eye :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Been a huge fan of oasis for ages and obviously never seen them coz I'm only 16 so ye I would like to see beady eye as they usually play smaller venues....I don't know if you've seen oasis live before but I intend on seeing one of the Gallagher brothers live on stage (or together for a reunion) before I die

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

I'm still singing A Certain Romance in my head, truly glorious. Tbh I had no time for Jake Bugg before the gig and his performance hardly sold me! Monkeys can get away with poor stage presence (which I don't fully agree with or maybe it's cos it doesn't bother me) cos they still bang out there tunes and they at least don't seem like they're bored and not wanting to be there.

I don't know why he decided to whip out A Certain Romance, maybe he's gunna do that for all their gigs now but it really made that gig epic imo!!

Personally I like to believe we were such an awesome crowd they decided, feck it, they're earned this one ;)

He did it last night at T in the park, probably going to do it for the British and Irish shows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Been a huge fan of oasis for ages and obviously never seen them coz I'm only 16 so ye I would like to see beady eye as they usually play smaller venues....I don't know if you've seen oasis live before but I intend on seeing one of the Gallagher brothers live on stage (or together for a reunion) before I die

Surely Noel would be the preferable choice? Seen him live and he played To Be Free, Talk Tonight, Half The World Away, Little by Little and Don't Look Back In Anger, it was pretty sweet!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

How depressing is being back in work today after the weekend ?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

I'm getting pissed off with people saying Jake bugg has no stage presence,been a huge fan of his for two years and going to c him for first time was great and monkeys on same night was fantastic aswell.but I have to Say Jake bugg was 100 times then ROYAL BLOOD and MILES KANE put together.crowd were lifeless for MK inpeticular and royal blood just didn't do it for me.crowd came to life for Jake and this "stage presence " complaining is bull,do ye want a ****ing performing clown on stage,I'd rather a crowd singing to a "lifeless" singer the watching Miles Kane do the ****ing splits in a rainbow coloured shirt with noone in crowd knowing his song.Jake might only introduce his songs and mumble "enjoy the rest of your evening" at end of his set but who gives a ****,he's not there to tell the crowd his life story. And also Alex turners"stage presence" is a joke.dancing around like a little gay boy Elvis impersonator is not stage presence and also the scripted "we are the AM from our green Sheffield" is not stage presence.AM r way to scripted for my liking lately
    spot on pal i think there's a bit of jealousy from some of the AM fanboys. i think Jake had a box office show and stole the day from AM. Turner goes through the motions now and doesn't seem to care about the fans. What do people want from Bugg? He plays his songs brilliantly live. Would the same people moan about Dylan having no stage presence? Doubt it. BUGG IS THE NEW DYLAN PEOPLE. I stood at the back of the gig and filmed the entire thing on my new gold iphone. Video quality is brilliant so I'm chuffed with that. Watched the entire show again last night and I was right people. Bugg was the best on the day and AM were a disappointment. Pretty sure I heard lots of boos at the end of their (short?) set. Anyway a buzz of a day and being back at work SUCKS! Bring on Longitude!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Thought it was a fantastic gig. I was towards the front of the pit, and all around me people sang the words of every song. Yeah there was some pushing, but that goes with the territory, and people complaining need to get a grip. When you buy a ticket to a rock concert theres is always the chance of that. It in no way impinged on the concert for me, and I thought they put on a stellar performance. The passion with which no.1 Party Anthem was sang with was a real highlight, Kneesocks was great, Do I wanna Know and ofcourse the epic A Certain Romance. Infact all the encore was of a really high quality.
    The gig was great, but getting back into town was impossible. Didn't arrive back till half 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Anyway, think I'll avoid Marlay Park in future unless absolutely necessary. Seems to be attracting an absolute heap of young Dublin scummers lately who see it as a "day out down the road". Nearly ruined Kanye and this one in my view, I can only imagine how bad Longitude will be next week. Sound production and lights show is also awful - parking setup was decent to be fair to them but doesn't make up for it.
    nah, Arcade Fire was grand, as was Longitude last year.

AM just attract loads of pissed-up louts who think they're Danny Dyer in The Football Factory.

nah, Arcade Fire was grand, as was Longitude last year.

AM just attract loads of pissed-up louts who think they're Danny Dyer in The Football Factory.

I think the Saturday will be a disaster personally. Still considering the Sunday but not as eagerly as I was a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Surely Noel would be the preferable choice? Seen him live and he played To Be Free, Talk Tonight, Half The World Away, Little by Little and Don't Look Back In Anger, it was pretty sweet!!
    you're not telling a chap, which ex member of Oasis's bands he should prefer are you?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

you're not telling a chap, which ex member of Oasis's bands he should prefer are you?

All he i doing is giving his opinion , Nothing wrong with that . I would agree with him that i would go to Noel Gallagher instead of Beady Eye but that doesnt mean AMfan has to go because we said it

Jazzzman wrote: »
    spot on pal i think there's a bit of jealousy from some of the AM fanboys. i think Jake had a box office show and stole the day from AM. Turner goes through the motions now and doesn't seem to care about the fans. What do people want from Bugg? He plays his songs brilliantly live. Would the same people moan about Dylan having no stage presence? Doubt it. BUGG IS THE NEW DYLAN PEOPLE. I stood at the back of the gig and filmed the entire thing on my new gold iphone. Video quality is brilliant so I'm chuffed with that. Watched the entire show again last night and I was right people. Bugg was the best on the day and AM were a disappointment. Pretty sure I heard lots of boos at the end of their (short?) set. Anyway a buzz of a day and being back at work SUCKS! Bring on Longitude!!!!
    Finally someone with common sense,me and my mates were near enough the stage and crowd was class for Jake,also I got the Jake bugg t shirt at the gig and was amazed at the amount of tour dates compared to AM, can't ****ing blame him for not "moving" on stage if he's traveling that much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

All he i doing is giving his opinion , Nothing wrong with that . I would agree with him that i would go to Noel Gallagher instead of Beady Eye but that doesnt mean AMfan has to go because we said it
    certainly doesn't

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement