Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arctic Monkeys Marlay Park July 12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 AMfan

All he i doing is giving his opinion , Nothing wrong with that . I would agree with him that i would go to Noel Gallagher instead of Beady Eye but that doesnt mean AMfan has to go because we said it

Dont get me wrong lads Noel is 1000 Times better live then Liam, I know that.But Liam in the Olympia (which is a small enough venue) would be better for beady eye then NGHFB in my opionin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

you're not telling a chap, which ex member of Oasis's bands he should prefer are you?

Not at all. That's just like, my opinion, man. :P

Have seen both of then live, Noel at Croke Park and Beady Eye at Oxegen (which coincidentally was on the same day as AM :) ) and imo Noel was far better. Whichever Gallagher he prefers is his choice, just giving my 2 cents etc

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wong

Thinking of that transition from A Certain Romance to One for the Road is giving me goosebumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I agree with you in that Alex has become a bit of a dick and AM are nowhere near as good live as they used to be. Having said that, he whipped out his guitar for A Certain Romance so I really can't say anything bad about him because that made my day.

Sorry TimetoShine, have to disagree with a fellow Gooner but the Monkeys have got better live for me saw them at every Irish gig and consider this their 2nd best gig they played here still think Oxygen 2006 is their best gig ( During Humbug era and SIAS era they weren't top notch live especially the Humbug era during AM era they have picked it up even with silly granddad dancing). Alex been a dick, I just think he's acting like a rock star and has gained a bit of attitude nothing wrong with that.

Bugg was okay but to say he was better then AM's and Royal Blood is even if it's someone's opinion, is totally wrong. I'm a big fan of the lad but he seriously lost the crowd for some of his set. He looked bored and couldn't be arsed at times. I think that's more been a dick then Turner's frontman act, at least he's entertaining the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

AMfan wrote: »
    It's my first post coz I got pissed off with the whole "Jake bugg has no stage presence" ****,I was never that sad to actually make an account but today I had to make a ****ing point....I never said I hate the monkeys but alex's so called stage presence is terrible. They used to be alot better live

Yet the Monkeys are bigger then they have ever been, they are selling out bigger gigs and getting rave reviews for them :rolleyes:. Come back to us when you get out of puberty.

• Advertisement

Looper007 wrote: »
    Yet the Monkeys are bigger then they have ever been, they are selling out bigger gigs and getting rave reviews for them :rolleyes:. Come back to us when you get out of puberty.

Selling out crowds to screaming wet girl's who have liked them sine AM came out,that's y the crowds are bigger you tit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Selling out crowds to screaming wet girl's who have liked them sine AM came out,that's y the crowds are bigger you tit.

It didn't rain that much ;)

threein99 wrote: »

Haha your so funny....funny coz it did rain and that's not kind of wet I meant anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

:pac::pac:

Haha your so funny....funny coz it did rain and that's not kind of wet I meant anyway

Ok, thanks for clarifying :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Duff

Jazzzman wrote: »
    spot on pal i think there's a bit of jealousy from some of the AM fanboys. i think Jake had a box office show and stole the day from AM. Turner goes through the motions now and doesn't seem to care about the fans. What do people want from Bugg? He plays his songs brilliantly live. Would the same people moan about Dylan having no stage presence? Doubt it. BUGG IS THE NEW DYLAN PEOPLE. I stood at the back of the gig and filmed the entire thing on my new gold iphone. Video quality is brilliant so I'm chuffed with that. Watched the entire show again last night and I was right people. Bugg was the best on the day and AM were a disappointment. Pretty sure I heard lots of boos at the end of their (short?) set. Anyway a buzz of a day and being back at work SUCKS! Bring on Longitude!!!!

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

threein99 wrote: »
    He was insinuating the young ladies at the gig resembled a refrigerator in need of repair!

Jake Bugg the new Dylan?:confused:

Is that actually a thing people think? I mean, Bob Dylan?!

Jake Bugg the new Dylan?:confused:

Is that actually a thing people think? I mean, Bob Dylan?!
    i listened to one of his songs..it was about going to the pub and taking a pill, on a hill.....seemed a bit like a kids diary than dylan!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sebbplatter

nbar12 wrote: »
    I never said I seen them at Marley. Seen this thread, read the comments and gave my opinion.

Commenting on a gig you didnt even attend. Hmmm.

He was insinuating the young ladies at the gig resembled a refrigerator in need of repair!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Jake Bugg is hardly a new Dyson, nevermind a new Dylan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Fastfuse12

Decent gig overall but not really a patch on Noel Gallagher's HFB and Kasabian 2 years ago in terms of organisation crowd and sound (even with the delays due to power trouble)

Hard to explain how the sound was this bad. Everything seemed so muted and I don't know if it was because of wind or if there were so many loud drunken people in the immediate vicinity of your ears wherever you were.
    Security 2 years ago was like a bloody airport, metal detectors full on pat downs etc. Not much at all at this. People were too drunk and obnoxious as a consequence.
    Very disappointed I missed Royal Blood but hopefully they'll be back soon (gig in Cork would be nice).

Miles Kane had great stage presence but poor sound let him down. Loved Inhaler and the Rolling Stones cover.

Jake Bugg: Looked absolutely shattered, only thing I could notice was the huge bags under his eyes. People complaining about his stage presence evidently have double-standards as the Arctics were similarly poor in that department. Has some great tunes and hopefully will get better and better in every department.

Luckily for AM they make up for it with so many sing along tunes. Loved the Humbug and SIAS songs that not many others seemed into even if they brought the tempo of the gig down a bit. Library pictures, Fire Side and My Propeller were great. Can't complain about anything really. When the sun goes down has had it's day tbh not too disappointed at that.

Looking forward to The National tonight at the Marquee, another great show in store.

U have turned a sexual reference into a refrigerator reference u sad sad sad ****. Point is AM's fanbase has increased because since release of AM they have changed their style which has attracted a very big female audience. Infairneas I don't think to many girls would have liked their early stuff which included WTSGD which was about Sheffield prostitutes ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Zed Bank

U have turned a sexual reference into a refrigerator reference u sad sad sad ****. Point is AM's fanbase has increased because since release of AM they have changed their style which has attracted a very big female audience. Infairneas I don't think to many girls would have liked their early stuff which included WTSGD which was about Sheffield prostitutes ffs.

Alex Turner used to be cool mannn, Alex Turner changed maaaaan!

• Advertisement

rockey4215 wrote: »
    So for once it looks like I managed to completely miss the rough element of a gig. I had such a good time, all day. Didn't see any trouble from the crowd from where I was, in fact I thought it was a great atmosphere. Everyone around me knew pretty much every Arctic Monkeys song word for word so it was one hell of a singalong. A Certain Romance happened, my life peaked. Terrific gig all in all, sorry to hear that others didn't have the same experience.

If you think a certain romance was the peak of your life I pity you my friend, it is a really horrific version...HORRIFIC. "the peak" hahahahahahahahah....tragic

You realise When the Sun Goes Down is about a prostitute and it's one of their biggest/most popular hits?

may have gone over your head!

You realise When the Sun Goes Down is about a prostitute and it's one of their biggest/most popular hits?

So your mothers in a song.....and yes I know it's one of there biggest hits...so why play a horrific a certain romance version then WTSGD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Just watched the Teddy Picker video again...hard to believe it was 7 years ago.

So your mothers in a song.....and yes I know it's one of there biggest hits...so why play a horrific a certain romance version then WTSGD

Haha, a mother joke really? I'm putting this one down to trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

I had a great time. We got right up to the barrier just off centre to the right. Made loads of new friends, the crowd got rougher as time went on but that was to be expected. By the time the Arctic Monkeys came on I was on the receiving end of an almighty squish but sure if you want to be at the front you have to expect these things so I wasn't complaining. The amount of people pushing their way up to the front, realising they couldn't hack it and being pulled out was incredible. Probably should have been a pit to be honest but like, as long as you knew what to expect it wasn't too bad. Couple of eejits trying to push me out of my spot and clinch my barrier space but I was having none of it, it helped that we were in a group and held the spot together, but we did lose one or two lads as the night went on.

Royal Blood were excellent, the sound they can get out of just a bass guitar and a drum kit is great. I wouldn't be surprised to see them blow up when they release their album, especially with the endorsement the Arctic Monkeys have given them.

Miles Kane is always enjoyable. He's a great showman and he knows it too. He loves himself probably more than anyone else in the crowd loves him but who cares, he had some great songs and of all the support bands I think he managed to win over the crowd the most, considering I'd say a lot of them didn't know who he was. Personal highlight was the Sympathy for the Devil cover!

Jake Bugg is a complicated one. I enjoyed him a lot, but only because I'm a fan and I knew all his tunes. I'd say he did nothing for the people who didn't already know who he was. No stage presence but I can imagine he'll gain some with time.

The Arctic Monkeys were great! A marked improvement on Electric Picnic, they definitely looked happy to be there this time and weren't just "phoning it in". As a massive fan of all of their albums I was never going to hear all the songs I wanted, and since they are touring AM it's fair enough that was AM-heavy so I have no complaints. When I saw him come out with the acoustic and ask if we wanted an old tune I nearly died because I knew what that meant. I was a bit upset that some of the people nearby (mainly younger girls) who screamed for the AM tunes fell silent for some of the older songs, A Certain Romance in particular, but most of the people around me were into it.

Great gig, I managed to miss most of the "scummier" element by being up at the barrier but I don't doubt that it was there given some of the eejits I saw being dragged out of the crowd. It's a bit of a shame, they attract a diverse enough crowd these days and I thought most of the people near me were grand anyway.

Also, that disco ball for "I Wanna Be Yours" was so pretty.

10557447_10204231719815557_4124583753052745110_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fago123

Been a huge fan of oasis for ages and obviously never seen them coz I'm only 16 so ye I would like to see beady eye as they usually play smaller venues....I don't know if you've seen oasis live before but I intend on seeing one of the Gallagher brothers live on stage (or together for a reunion) before I die

This may have something to do with it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    Please don't feed the troll guys.

Feed me more hahaha

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement