Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arctic Monkeys Marlay Park July 12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

They are a totally different band now to what they were in 2006. Go watch gigs on youtube from 2006 and 2013, there are few similarities. People hoping for a repeat of their 2006 gig at oxegen will probably be disappointed.

They are still great though. I would be going to this but I have no interest in any of the support acts and their set will be pretty much the same as what I saw at EP (which I really enjoyed) maybe with a few more songs from the new album. Although if a few friends say they are going I might cave and buy a ticket. It should be a great gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

TheCoolWay wrote: »
    2006 was insane! I was loitering around the back of the crowd for the main stage not knowing who they were.... and they were mind blowing! big fan since

I remember the heavy rain, and many miserable faces but once they came on they pulled in the biggest crowd that weekend. Excellent gig, they just released Leave Before The Lights Come On a week before that. I actually preferred their Malahide Gigs in 2007, better weather and it was also awesome seen Supergrass (although not their best set I've seen from them) and the Coral.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

GA is for General Admission

They also give a row number and seat number on the ticketmaster invoice.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

MadYaker wrote: »

They are still great though. I would be going to this but I have no interest in any of the support acts and their set will be pretty much the same as what I saw at EP (which I really enjoyed) maybe with a few more songs from the new album. Although if a few friends say they are going I might cave and buy a ticket. It should be a great gig.

Seen them at EP and felt Franz Ferdinand were better than AM and since as said their setlist will prob be similar ill only go if other friends are goin . Already seing Miles Kane in the Academt but would love to see Royal Blood

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Seen them at EP and felt Franz Ferdinand were better than AM and since as said their setlist will prob be similar ill only go if other friends are goin . Already seing Miles Kane in the Academt but would love to see Royal Blood

do Royal Blood have an album out? or is it just that single? cant seem to find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 toygee99

Anyone know of a coach direct from Befast?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,548 ✭✭✭✭siblers

D.Q wrote: »
    do Royal Blood have an album out? or is it just that single? cant seem to find it.

Just 3 tracks, "Come On Over", "Out Of The Black" and "Figure It Out". No idea when they have an EP/album due.

strongback wrote: »
    They also give a row number and seat number on the ticketmaster invoice.

Yeh they always do, it's more a ticket number than anything. Once you have GA on it you're standing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

Yeh they always do, it's more a ticket number than anything. Once you have GA on it you're standing :)

Grand. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

hey gonna head out on the tear after this, what time do gigs in marlay usually end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭BubbaM

TheCoolWay wrote: »
    hey gonna head out on the tear after this, what time do gigs in marlay usually end?

Last time I was there, Kasabian finished up about 10:30, so around that time I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Went to check out Royal Blood last night in The Workmans. Didn't really know much of their stuff.

They were a bit "meh" to be honest. If the whole hard rock genre with not much by way of melody is your thing they'd be right up your street but I certainly won't be busting my gut to get to Marley Park early to listen to them again.

On the other hand, there was a Dublin band called "Leaders of Men" who supported them who I was very impressed by!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭JamieHP

102 days.. swear i'm not excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Who is the support for AM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Went to check out Royal Blood last night in The Workmans. Didn't really know much of their stuff.

They were a bit "meh" to be honest. If the whole hard rock genre with not much by way of melody is your thing they'd be right up your street but I certainly won't be busting my gut to get to Marley Park early to listen to them again.

On the other hand, there was a Dublin band called "Leaders of Men" who supported them who I was very impressed by!

I was there as well and thought they were absolutely amazing. Good old fashioned riff driven rock, short snappy songs. Can't wait til they bring out an album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

buyer95 wrote: »
    Who is the support for AM?

Royal Blood, Miles Kane and Jake Bugg

Miles Kane and Royal Blood. In the time it took you to type that post you could have found that out for yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I was there as well and thought they were absolutely amazing. Good old fashioned riff driven rock, short snappy songs. Can't wait til they bring out an album.

I wasn't crazy about them. To be honest there was nothing about them or their songs that didn't sound like a lot of other bands.

Having said that, the musicianship was outstanding!

JamieHP wrote: »
    102 days.. swear i'm not excited.

why not?

I can't wait, Am's first stand alone gig since 2009, also Jake Bugg and Miles Kane are good support acts. Not a bad summer gig at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭JamieHP

Looper007 wrote: »
    why not?

I can't wait, Am's first stand alone gig since 2009, also Jake Bugg and Miles Kane are good support acts. Not a bad summer gig at all.

It was sarcasm haha!

• Advertisement

JamieHP wrote: »
    It was sarcasm haha!

ha ha sorry very hard to know that :D

Has this gig even sold out yet? I'm surprised if it ain't seen as AM haven't played a gig in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

ha ha sorry very hard to know that :D

Has this gig even sold out yet? I'm surprised if it ain't seen as AM haven't played a gig in years.

Marlay Park is pretty big though.

buyer95 wrote: »
    Marlay Park is pretty big though.

sorry never been before so didn't know it was huge, thought it only held 40,000 or so.

sorry never been before so didn't know it was huge, thought it only held 40,000 or so.

Thats still a lot of people ;) . Plus they played EP last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I wasn't crazy about them. To be honest there was nothing about them or their songs that didn't sound like a lot of other bands.

Having said that, the musicianship was outstanding!

I can see what you mean about there being nothing exceptionally "new" about their sound, but I thought what they do, they do very, very well. I'm a huge Sabbath fan, and think they really capture that mentality of letting the riff come first, and building the song around it. Different strokes for different folks I guess ;)

It won't sell out anytime soon. There's a load of gigs in Marlay Park this summer along with all the festivals so id imagine theres a fair amount of competition. Also a lot of people who would go to this went to E.P last year. They were great at E.P to be fair and I may yet buy a ticket for this!

Thats still a lot of people ;) . Plus they played EP last year

That's a festival not their own stand alone gig plus they played Oxygen during the SIAS era too but their last stand alone gig was O2 in 2009 during the Humbug era. It is a lot of people but they have sold out Finsbury park (that's holds more I think) twice and 2013/14 has been a massive year for them so was expecting this to sell out pretty quickly that's all. But sure it won't take away my enjoyment anyway :)

That's a festival not their own stand alone gig plus they played Oxygen during the SIAS era too but their last stand alone gig was O2 in 2009 during the Humbug era. It is a lot of people but they have sold out Finsbury park (that's holds more I think) twice and 2013/14 has been a massive year for them so was expecting this to sell out pretty quickly that's all. But sure it won't take away my enjoyment anyway :)

True but the fact they were playing the Sunday this allowed people to come down for the day to see them instead of having to go for the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gatame

D.Q wrote: »

They finished recording their debut album this week. I for one am a huge fan of their sound and can't wait for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 RobbieHawkins

Really looking forward to this. Any guesses on what the set list will be like? I'm guessing mainly songs from AM

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement