Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kickstarter - Fund raising for a new idea

Options
  • 27-01-2014 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭

I have been cycling a bike for a lot of years & in many different countries around the world. Based on many experiences at junctions with cars I am currently working on an idea that should make the roads safer for cyclists.

Basically it is a system of lights installed on a car that the driver would use to indicate which way they are turning, left or right, or which exit they plan on taking from a roundabout. An "indicator" system of sorts, though I need to come up with a name. A light on the left of the car that a driver switches on when turning left and the same system on the right. perhaps controlled from a button/switch close to the steering wheel.

I will develop the system & pitch it to a few small companies in the automotive industry. I would love to think that it would someday be installed on all cars but that is just probably pipedreams.

Do you think this would work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

LCD wrote: »
    I have been cycling a bike for a lot of years & in many different countries around the world. Based on many experiences at junctions with cars I am currently working on an idea that should make the roads safer for cyclists.

Basically it is a system of lights installed on a car that the driver would use to indicate which way they are turning, left or right, or which exit they plan on taking from a roundabout. An "indicator" system of sorts, though I need to come up with a name. A light on the left of the car that a driver switches on when turning left and the same system on the right. perhaps controlled from a button/switch close to the steering wheel.

I will develop the system & pitch it to a few small companies in the automotive industry. I would love to think that it would someday be installed on all cars but that is just probably pipedreams.

Sorry this will never catch on, the hand eye coordination, reflexes needed to operate such futuristic thinking is beyond the average motor vehicle owner, especially combined with communicating on a phone, or applying makeup, picking your nose, or picking the wrong lane in roundabouts etc.

sorry LCD one more add-on to a car is just too dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

I've advocated for decades that the existing indicator systems is inadequate and the added complication of "No Indicator" meaning the vehicle intends to go straight ahead and not turn at the next immediate junction seems to have traumatized all motorists into adding to the existing system's failures.

On a personal level I've been exercising my sixth sense and mind reading abilities, it has served my well and I'd advise any cyclist to practice the same as one will become one with the human traffic and seemless integration does take place ~ just not enough of it on either side and that lipstick is indeed a distraction of immense power ~ maybe a big sign can be placed on the tube to warn of the dangers of changing concentration.

Keep at it with the ideas, our current system is indeed unacceptable for all concerned, and any new idea should be considered.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

That's a crazy idea. Will never catch on.

Next you'll be suggesting putting mirrors on cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Gotta be Thread of the Day material!!

How about adding rear view mirrors to the exterior of vehicles?

They can be useful for motorists to check behind them before moving or changing lanes AND cyclists can use them as an early warning device of impending danger. A swift kick when they come within range generally straightens a car up.

On a serious note.

I'd like to see something like the eye tracking software that is in mobile phones installed into cars. If the software does not detect activity or that you are looking at the mobile screen it either pauses video or the phone goes to sleep.

In the case of drivers if the software does not detect your eyes moving in a particular pattern that ensures your full field of vision is checked an electric pulse is issued through the seat to remind you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

if we would imagine those smart classes take off could they not do what you wanted by the way the driver looks ?
    rather than a bottom it should be handsfree voice controlled i think .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

This might work https://www.blaze.cc/

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

very good idea, do you know if available in any shops or only online?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Not out till March and it's expensive £125 Sterling!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

"The Laserlight projects out of the blind spot to tackle the most common cause of cycling accidents - vehicles turning across an unseen bike" - would it not be in the car's blind spot anyway? i.e. too close to the bonnet to be seen?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Only if a vehicle has fully functioning mirrors.

• Advertisement
Advertisement