Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Language to Learn?

Options
  • 27-01-2014 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭

I suppose these threads are a dime a dozen (sorry!). But I'm just wondering, what would an aspiring coder want to learn to use nowadays?

I know the answer is "Well what do you ultimately want to do?", but knowing the answer is as tough as knowing the question.

So, I was wondering for any budding or veteran coders out there: What's your language of choice, why and what do you get out of it (ie, finished product). Is it based on current trends (Android....mobile development). Is it more specific to a job role? (Database / SQL). Or do you want to make millions from a game? (Eh...C++?)

I've very basic knowledge of C++, Java that I did back in college. Oh, and Visual Basic! (Jaysus).

I've been doing the codecademy exercises and they're quite good, but I suppose I'm looking for a 'real world' example or a challenge to set myself.

Again, apologies for the vague question(s). But because of my age, I wanted to know that I was going about learning the right language, I suppose for any upcoming roles which would require the same.

Thanks for any / all help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Java.

Useful for a heap of stuff as well as android if you choose to go the mobile route. Also a really nice language (IMO anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Khannie wrote: »
    Java.

Useful for a heap of stuff as well as android if you choose to go the mobile route. Also a really nice language (IMO anyway).

Thanks for that!

I didn't really understand or do too well at Java, but will give it another shot. Would you recommend any book / site to work off?

Just found this, might have a look to get back in to my coding brain again.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Well it depends - Are you looking for a job in that area? If that's the case there are two aspects to it - Knowing the language (i.e. having the tools) and knowing how to code (i.e. knowing how to use them). You have to be able to prove both to a potential employer.

Things like design patterns are worth learning (head first design patterns is a decent book IMO) as well as a language.

To be honest I'm a long time out of learning to code, so I can't help out much more than that. Others will be along. There is a development forum too which has some very helpful posters (link).

Advertisement