Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dogs winter and mud

• 27-01-2014 11:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody,
    this winter is terrible with the two dogs and the dirty around the house!
    My garden is covered of mud and ok..
    But the problem is that at every walk / run in the park they come back ALL dirty and normal brush wouldn't do enough.
    My house is always full of dust and it's very difficult to keep clean (and I live with flatmates, so I am sorry for them).

What do you do?
    Should I wash them maybe with no soap every couple of days?
    Of course I would be sorry for them and it would be boooring everytime..
    or do you have other suggestion?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

jsabina wrote: »
    Hi everybody,
    this winter is terrible with the two dogs and the dirty around the house!
    My garden is covered of mud and ok..
    But the problem is that at every walk / run in the park they come back ALL dirty and normal brush wouldn't do enough.
    My house is always full of dust and it's very difficult to keep clean (and I live with flatmates, so I am sorry for them).

What do you do?
    Should I wash them maybe with no soap every couple of days?
    Of course I would be sorry for them and it would be boooring everytime..
    or do you have other suggestion?

thanks

I would dry my guy off with a towel, if he was muddy / wet then once he's dried brush any mud etc off of him.

Or on the nights the weather is really bad i walk him on lead around a path etc , so very little dirt.

Or you could get them some dog coats / jumpers -this would reduce the dirt on your dog although it would eman washing the coats etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

We gave our fella a shower yesterday. I reckon had we thrown seeds at him instead a tree would have grown on him so much mud came off.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

You could dry him off with a towel and brush him when it is dry.

You can wash him with no soap.

Just a note, it being "boooring" should have no toll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

One of mine is a muck magnet, even if it's dry out she comes back all mucky on her undercarriage, paws, backs of legs etc, I bring them in the back door and dry the living daylights out of both of them, but especially the muck magnet, with their towels, of which they have many. I find that does the job without having to wash them every few days, who has the time or energy to be doing that?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'd recommend microfibre towels. Mountain Warehouse in a blanch do really good ones and always reduce them in their sales ;).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Oh it's impossible at the moment, I'm just back in and I"m filthy, and he's filthy. I towelled him off at the door and I'll give him a brush later, but he's still filthy :( Plus one of the other shepherds decided today I was the most exciting person to greet ever, and jumped all over me, I am head to toe mud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

OMG, my little one is a total muck magnet as well. She just loves to find the muddiest puddle and have a lie down in it.
    Constantly have her in the shower and bath washing her belly cos it hurts to comb it out.
    What I don't get though, is how she LOVES lying down in puddles but gives you the look of why are you murdering me when you pop them in the bath!
    Nutters.

And currently trying to find a reasonably priced valet service to get the seats washed so I can pop some seat covers in. Seems pointless at the moment with the seats covered in mud.
    My poor car, it used to be soo clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Rear garden resembles a rugby pitch with the dogs at the moment. Some serious work needed in the spring to bring the lawn back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Rear garden resembles a rugby pitch with the dogs at the moment. Some serious work needed in the spring to bring the lawn back.

We're actually getting the lawn relaid for the spring, no point in doing anything else at this stage, and he's hardly ever even out there :(

I just took up the lawn after we got the two pups, laid down patio ourselves, looks nice, no mess and easy to clean up their business :D

• Advertisement

Karlitto wrote: »
    I just took up the lawn after we got the two pups, laid down patio ourselves, looks nice, no mess and easy to clean up their business :D

Yes we did the same.... no grass (no point with a cocker who could dig to Australia) we have lots of cobble locking, gravel, and decking, with lots of shrubs and prickly plants that he is afraid of :D

So clean, no smell as he goes ONLY on the small bit of gravel we have...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

I am renting so cannot do jobs in the garden..

Sorry if I wrote boring about washing them, I'll do everything for my dogs :)
    I suppose they would hate it more than me.

cocker5 wrote: »
    Yes we did the same.... no grass (no point with a cocker who could dig to Australia) we have lots of cobble locking, gravel, and decking, with lots of shrubs and prickly plants that he is afraid of :D

So clean, no smell as he goes ONLY on the small bit of gravel we have...

Yep, and it cost very little :) So the little ****s have taken a shine to bringing in the flower pots :D

No problem Jsa,

Ah, a dog will never hate you, they are soooooo selfless it is unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Nala is a muck magnet too. I get jealous when i bring her to the woods and see how clean other dogs are even if they're off lead then I look at her and how happy she is though covered head to toe in muck! Comes with the territory i think. I'm too lazy to be washing her all the time and she hates the bath. If she's very bad i put a towel in the crate and stick her in till she's dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Somebody say muck magnet?

VDLcpGKl.jpg

And that's during summertime! She's just as bad in the winter, she just takes longer to dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Here's my mucky pup! She looks really happy when shes out.

1511536_10151786953496735_433859841_n.jpg

Yeah I see it's a common problem...
    today I washed them with only water and woooow what came out!
    I couldn't just bring them on walk on lead, Jago really needs to run and run and run for at least 1 hour every evening!
    I think I'll try to use more a microfibre towel and wash them every few days.. :P they'll get used!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭kristian12

Having 3 one of which is only 4 months old and with the bladder of a gnat the garden, my cream tiles.... ah fe** that my whole house is destroyed :rolleyes: The plan for the spring is every bit of grass out and covered in gravel. Walking them is just as bad, i went out in wellies earlier cus i was fed up of changing cus i was wet, waste of time cus the mud went as far as my waist with the splatters from the dogs.

Good job we adore them ;)

Do you think gravel is good enough?
    I was scared that the dogs could start digging, bringing everywhere.. even swallowing..
    I don't know how to find a temporary solution for the garden as it's not My house uff :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

One of my dogs has legs only about 3 inches long, so his under carriage is a nightmare after every walk. We live on the muddiest lanes in Ireland too (not complaining - hardly any traffic!!)

I leave towels at the 2 back doors, and every time we come in from a walk I towel them like mad. At the weekends, I put a basin of water outside the door, front paws in, swoosh the undercarriages, back paws in, swoosh again. They act like Im torturing them. LOTS of filthy towels to wash though - now thats really boring JSabina!!! Your two are big dogs, so I can imagine the amount of mud and dirt you have to deal with - hope your housemates love your dogs too and dont mind the bit of muck :)

• Advertisement

jsabina wrote: »
    Do you think gravel is good enough?
    I was scared that the dogs could start digging, bringing everywhere.. even swallowing..
    I don't know how to find a temporary solution for the garden as it's not My house uff :(

They cant dig under the gravel as there is a special kinda thik plastic sheet that goes under the gravel, its pretty thick also i have about 4 / 5 inchs of gravel in height so plenty...

My guy never chewed it ate it....dont think the normally do

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

My 2 Shih-Tzus are low to the ground too, so collect clods of mud, especially under their leg pits. We live on a very quiet country lane and it is the leaf mulch which collects and mats their coats.

I have a large square plastic tray, about 4" deep, which I got from Lakeland. It is meant for cleaning oven shelves. I have it permanently filled and walk my Mutts through it on our return, twice a day in winter, to rinse out the worst of it and then towel them off. They hate this but it works pretty well. Every couple of months its a bath/shower with baby shampoo.

If they are really bad, or roll in another animals pooh then its a walk down to the stream about 1/2 mile away for a good rub off.

TT

Advertisement