Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infraction & Warning in Motors

Options
  • 27-01-2014 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭

I'm not certain of the timeline as the posts have been deleted but here goes;

Last Friday I posted in the dash cam thread, a response to a clip which I felt was pointless, as it showed nothing of note. Post 1.

Over the weekend there was about 5 replies to my criticism of the clip.

One was a reply from OP defending his clip.

The other replies were all off topic, and directed at me rather than at the clip or my response to the clip.

One reply was that the viewing the clips was "not compulsory", rather hilariously ignoring the whole point of the thread, which is; clips of note are posted, commented on, and it's impossible to know the content of a clip without viewing it!

Another reply was asking, which was more pointless?, the clip it's self or my response to the clip? Again rather funny as it could be the beginning of a long and pointless circular argument.

I responded to these 2 replies in one post on Saturday evening. Post 2.

Post 2 received 2 or 3 completely off topic replies, one of which from Dr.Fuzzenstein was a childish "you're not welcome around here" type thing.

My response to this post was a simple "what do you think of the clip?" Post 3.

On Saturday night I received an infraction from Colm_McM for Post 2.

On Sunday morning I received a warning from Biko for Post 1.

Biko deleted most of the posts which he didn't like and directed a dig at me but didn't address the off topic posts.

The thread was dragged off topic by these posters and any action should have been directed at them. Not me.

I would like the infraction and warning to be rescinded as I don't believe they were warranted.

I have exchanged PM's with Colm_McM and he said I could open the thread in Dispute Resolution.

I sent Biko a PM over 24hrs ago but I received no reply.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Apologies on the delay.

A CMod will review this as soon as they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

So... it's been a week?...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,700 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Hi The Dagda,

Apologies for the delay but I've had a look over this for you now.

Your first post was what caused the problems. If you didn't feel like the video in question should have been posted in the thread, you could have reported the post or PMed a mod. Complaining about its validity on-thread results in thread derailment, as was the case here, and it's not your position to judge whether or not a video belongs in the thread. The poster who posted the video in question had already stated in his post that it was "nothing major", and the video title describes what happened. People could judge for themselves if they wished to view it.

Your second post then included this line:
    It's not called "dash cam clips of nothing" where people get a pat on their back for posting sh1te.

Which is again, needlessly complaining about a video. Whether or not you thought it should have been in the thread, complaining about it on-thread is unacceptable.

Biko did not delete posts "he didn't like", he deleted posts which were going against the spirit of the thread and which probably would have resulted in further arguing between posters had they been left up.

You're complaining that everyone's posts responding to you were off-topic, but it was your initial post which was off-topic and resulted in the subsequent posts.

In future, if you don't believe a video should be allowed on the thread, contact a mod or report the post and allow them to make that decision. Complaining on-thread about it is unnecessary and needlessly argumentative.

Warning and infraction both upheld. You may ask for an admin to review this if you wish.

Have you even spoken with the mods who issued the penalties?!

It's taken over a week to get a reply and this is what you come back with?

Not once have you mentioned the reasons that I was given originally for the infraction and warning.

Not once did the mods in motors, when they were penalising me, mention any of the reasons you've given.

This process is supposed to offer an appeal system to penalties received, not to give other mods a chance to reinterpret the offences and restrospectively apply that interpretation.

Can I please get an Admin to look at this?

Into week 3...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,700 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'll bump the Admins again. Apologies for delay.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The yellow card was for this:
    That has to be the lamest video ever posted on this thread.

It's a video of a bus driving around a bend on a relatively narrow road. That's it.

Going to the trouble of editing the video, posting it on youtube, and then again on boards, to point out nothing, is just sad!
    As has been pointed out, if you had a problem with the video you could have reported the post. It's hard to see this post as anything other than needlessly antagonistic.

The red card was for this:
    It's not called "dash cam clips of nothing" where people get a pat on their back for posting sh1te.
    This is also needlessly antagonistic.

I'm not seeing a compelling reason to reverse these cards. Next time you see a post that you feel isn't in the spirit (or up to the standard) of the thread it's in, you'll know to report it instead of posting hostile comments that are only going to start an on-thread row.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

After a PM conversation, I've reversed the yellow card.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement