Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5s or iPhone 6?

• 27-01-2014 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

I currently have the iPhone 4 and it is nearly 3 years old. The phone I have is ok, its a little slow and the apps crash the odd time but I feel I am due an upgrade. I don't know whether to but the iPhone 5s now or wait until September/October for the iPhone 6? What would you suggest? Thanks

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

I currently have the iPhone 4 and it is nearly 3 years old. The phone I have is ok, its a little slow and the apps crash the odd time but I feel I am due an upgrade. I don't know whether to but the iPhone 5s now or wait until September/October for the iPhone 6? What would you suggest? Thanks

Well, considering the 6 is currently imaginary, and considering we don't know what you want out of a phone... Who knows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

iPhone 6 is still a long way away and then you have to hope you can get one when they are released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Usually the S model is a decent upgrade. The 5S took all the good bits about the 5 and made it better. I'd probably go for the 5S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

This might sound crazy but if I was in your shoes... I would buy the 5s now hold onto the 4 and couple weeks before the next one comes out sell the 5s for max value and use the 4 until your 6 comes. (Will require messing around with SIM cards though) then sell your 4 to make up the cost of switching to the newer model.

Or else just buy a 5s now if the 4" screen size is enough for you and upgrade again in another few years. The next model will almost definitely be 4.7" or larger. Will obviously be that bit faster too but the 5s is already really fast. So if you want that bigger iPhone either choose the first option above or simply wait 9/10 months.

Good luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I think personally if I was in your shoes I'd wait for the iPhone 6 S, the 5 S is obsolete now, and the yet unreleased 6 will be obsolete as soon as it's released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭Stenth

There will always be a new and better phone just around the corner. Do you need a new phone now? Do you feel that the advantages of a 5s over your 4 is worth the money, for you? In that case, get one. Otherwise, don't.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Do you look at the 5S and think "I wish it was a little bigger... a bit more like those Samsungs".

If the answer to the above is "YES!" - then wait for the autumn.
    If the answer is "NO- the screen is big enough!" - then get yourself a 5S.

Buying a network-locked 5S now on contract and trying to sell it while still in contract in 9 months is fraught with peril. Avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭aoshea83

Before I jumped to android I faced the same question. The main thing to keep in mind is that it's nearly all about the 24 month contract now.

I personally would buy the 5s now. Why?

Well it boils down to the fact that usually apples Xs range tend to be better then their originals, usually if the original (iPhone 3, 4 & 5) has some issues (remember the antenna debacle on the 4) it is usually resolved for the "s" release plus a few extra bits (eg Finger scanner).

If you enter into contract now with the 5s it means when your contract ends your next upgrade will probably be the 6s (assuming apple keep up the name system). Pretty much you'll be on the Xs cycle.

This doesn't take away from the painful envy of those who get the new model when you're only a year into your contract though :D

That's my two cents anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭comfortseeker

I would be buying the phone on prepay don't like the bill option and from doing my sums it works out cheaper in the long run to buy out the phone from the start. So I'm thinking if I buy it sim free I can always sell it if I wish in 10 months time anyways? It will still be in demand and worth money as it is only one model behind

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shaunarosie12

does anyone know where i can get a screen on iphone 5c fixed most places looking for 180 euro
    wow expensive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭aoshea83

I would be buying the phone on prepay don't like the bill option and from doing my sums it works out cheaper in the long run to buy out the phone from the start. So I'm thinking if I buy it sim free I can always sell it if I wish in 10 months time anyways? It will still be in demand and worth money as it is only one model behind

If you can afford the initial outlay then this is the best way to go. Come next year when the next iPhone comes out you can sell the 5s and use the funds towards the new model. iPhones usually hold their value if only a year old.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

does anyone know where i can get a screen on iphone 5c fixed most places looking for 180 euro
    wow expensive

The screens on the 5 generation are expensive everywhere. Cheapest I seen was the Chinese shop on the corner of Parnell street and Marlborough street. Done my brothers for €160.

Have you rang apple? Might not be that much more expensive and you get a genuine product.

I've yet to see a broken 5 screen! They seem much much much sturdier than the 4 and 3 screens.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    I've yet to see a broken 5 screen! They seem much much much sturdier than the 4 and 3 screens.

Me brother broke his within the first month :(

kceire wrote: »
    Me brother broke his within the first month :(

Wow!

Had mine since it came out and felt so comfortable I never bothered with a case. My relatively clumsy (her words) wife doesn't have a case on hers either. Neither have a single scratch on the screens.

Unlike my 4 which was heavily scratched, even with case.

Very impressed I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Wow!

Had mine since it came out and felt so comfortable I never bothered with a case. My relatively clumsy (her words) wife doesn't have a case on hers either. Neither have a single scratch on the screens.

Unlike my 4 which was heavily scratched, even with case.

Very impressed I am.

"His and hers" Iphone 5. Recession me arse ! :D

dodzy wrote: »
    "His and hers" Iphone 5. Recession me arse ! :D

It goes well with our 96 Ford Fiesta #livinthedream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

It goes well with our 96 Ford Fiesta #livinthedream
    Priorities, and right you are ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

aoshea83 wrote: »
    I personally would buy the 5s now. Why?

Well it boils down to the fact that usually apples Xs range tend to be better then their originals, usually if the original (iPhone 3, 4 & 5) has some issues (remember the antenna debacle on the 4) it is usually resolved for the "s" release plus a few extra bits (eg Finger scanner).

If you enter into contract now with the 5s it means when your contract ends your next upgrade will probably be the 6s (assuming apple keep up the name system). Pretty much you'll be on the Xs cycle.

This doesn't take away from the painful envy of those who get the new model when you're only a year into your contract though :D

That's my two cents anyway.
    Meh. I'm not in the "S" cycle and have not seen any reason to be in it. My missis has an S and short of being a bit zippier there's nothing I need on it. Every new phone will be zippier, S or not. New iPhones are not first gen devices anymore that need another 12 months of development to get them solid.

Lack of "painful envy" in new model year trumps a spec bump model every time. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

kceire wrote: »
    The screens on the 5 generation are expensive everywhere. Cheapest I seen was the Chinese shop on the corner of Parnell street and Marlborough street. Done my brothers for €160.

Have you rang apple? Might not be that much more expensive and you get a genuine product.

I bought my screen for the iphone5 from a guy on adverts who has a shop on north circular road. Screen cost €65 and my husband fit it on took a couple of minutes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement