Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beaded blind cord- how to make them safe

Options
  • 27-01-2014 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hi,

We have blinds all around our house and they are lifted and drawn using a cord. The cord is beaded so doesn't fit into them wind up circles. I've seen the clips that you can screw in to hold the beads tight at the bottom- is this the only option available?

If so anyone recommend where to get them from?

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Only yesterday at mother in laws I asked her where she got the clip that you can screw in to hold the beads tight at the bottom as you described above and she said the person who fitted the blind for her also fitted the clip so im guessing any blind or curtain shop will have them, its next on my list - so important

• Registered Users Posts: 22 maghenderson

hi there I work for clonsilla blinds and they have them I think they are 1 to 1.50 each i think, visit the showroom in coolmine ind est or navan if you get blinds from us we fit them free

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Must look into those.

To be honest after reading a horrible story about a fatality, I cut off all cords from our blinds. They all stay half up anyway, to move them now I have to roll them manually. May look crap, but I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 maghenderson

safety comes first I understand. you can change them to roller go to your local blind company and ask them to change them to spring plus tassels rollers and ask for the brackets as well it cost aright but it will be cheaper to fit then yourself hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I would loop them high and knot them.

I got the fright of my life one day when I went into my bedroom and saw the loop of the blind around my son's neck. I never thought he would get up to it. I was wrong! It was only for a sec and there was no marking, but dear God did it terrify me.

You can get different types on ebay and amazon too, so look on there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

O god that's terrible. I saw my daughter just reach up and touch the cord when she was gone 2, after that I got the scissors out.

I was in Smyths on Mary's street today and they had packs of 2 for 2-3e.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd still be concerned a little about pinning the cord tight. Little hands have no inhibitions and could pull hard enough to break stuff.

Had the same problem at the in-laws and they put in little hooks at the side of the window, around 5 feet up, and hang the cord on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Just cut the bottom of the cord.

Just cut the bottom of the cord.

Not an option for people in rented accommodation.

• Advertisement

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Not an option for people in rented accommodation.

Its a beaded cord? Cut it and just re twist it to rejoin it.

Its a beaded cord? Cut it and just re twist it to rejoin it.

If you shorten it too much, you can lose your deposit. It is just as safe to knot out of reach.

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    If you shorten it too much, you can lose your deposit. It is just as safe to knot out of reach.

You'd shorten it by maybe .5cm

Advertisement