Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croquembouche - freezing choux buns.

Options
  • 27-01-2014 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

I've been asked to make a wedding cake for a friend and my plan is to make a croquembouche.

I'm going to make choux buns and a couple of different types of creme pat.

My question is this - can I freeze the buns filled with creme pat or must I freeze them empty and fill once defrosted?

The wedding is at the end of August which gives me plenty of time to get planning but I need time for trial and error too!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Crème pat 'weeps' on defrosting in my experience (whether frozen alone or already in buns), but keeps for a few days in the fridge. The choux buns can be frozen unfilled for a couple of months though, which should save you some time!
    Gorgeous idea for a wedding cake :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Lovely idea for a wedding, but in the heat at the end of August is it going to be able to stand up to being on display for 4-8 hours? The creme pat will soften and the pastry will go soggy. Croquembrouches are meant to be put out on display and eaten as soon as possible, not usually conducive to your average Irish wedding, when the cake is normally set up around lunchtime and stands in the heat of lights, summer and a lot of people until after the meal at 8-9pm.

Advertisement