Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Monday Night Raw 27-1-14

• 27-01-2014 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭

20140126_Light_5ptPreview_Batista_HOMEPAGE.jpg

So much happened at the 2014 Royal Rumble that five points almost doesn’t even cut it. Brock Lesnar obliterated Big Show with a mezzanine’s worth of steel chairs, Daniel Bryan and Bray Wyatt delivered an instant classic five minutes into the pay-per-view, and John Cena and Randy Orton raided each other’s arsenals in an old-school match for the WWE World Heavyweight Title. But five points is all we have, so from the maybe-fracturing Shield to the definitely WrestleMania-bound Batista, WWE.com previews the fallout from the Royal Rumble.

1. King of the jungle (The Animal, it seems, has found his prey. Batista will indeed challenge for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship at WrestleMania, As of now, that puts Randy Orton in Batista's sights)

2. He's back, fella! (Six months after a nasty shoulder injury took him out of ring action, Sheamus returned with a vengeance in the Royal Rumble Match,)

3. Cracked Shield? (Roman Reigns was the MVP of the Royal Rumble Match, breaking Kane’s single-bout record of eliminations by tossing 12 Superstars… Dean Ambrose and Seth Rollins among them. Given that Ambrose also tried to give Reigns the heave-ho only to be chastised by Rollins, it would appear that The Shield’s unity is in question for the first time in their collective history. Can The Hounds of Justice keep from mauling one another before WrestleMania?)

4. Lingering Attitude (Yep, they still got it. The New Age Outlaws defied both conventional wisdom and … well, age, to defeat Cody Rhodes & Goldust for the WWE Tag Team Championships, throwing a new wrench into the already rollicking tag team division. Can “The Brotherhood” pull themselves together and keep their feel-good story running? Or is it up to another tandem to take out the DX veterans in the weeks leading up to WrestleMania?)

5. Eater of Worlds feasts (Yes, Batista won the Royal Rumble Match, but the Royal Rumble pay-per-view was undoubtedly Bray Wyatt’s night. He got to make a vicious example of Daniel Bryan, defeating his would-be disciple in a furious singles contest, cost John Cena the WWE World Heavyweight Championship, and saw his Family throw down in the Rumble Match itself, eliminating a ‘Wrestling God’ and little bull before all was said and done. He has been around for nearly six months, but last night, Bray Wyatt truly made good on his famous warning. He’s here. What he does next – particularly where Cena is concerned )

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Looking forward to Sheamus's promo and stories about spending time "me old uncle Finbar on the farm"

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

rovert wrote: »
    Looking forward to Sheamus's promo and stories about spending time "me old uncle Finbar on the farm"

Oh for the love of god i hope they don't let Sheamus anywhere near a live microphone tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Cleveland is the venue isn't it? I wouldn't fancy being in charge of the crowd mics for that...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Hope:

Batista comes out as a face, but the crowd all **** on him. He slowly turns heel. He calls out Bryan, asking to talk to this guy who wasn't even around when he was there last but who the fans all choose over him. The two end up brawling, and a feud is set for Mania with face Bryan vs heel Batista (with Batista picking up the title somewhere along the way).

Reality:
    Batista will come out as a face, ignore the crowd's reactions, and they'll bull through with this Batista vs Orton feud. Meanwhile, Bryan will be jobbed out to Damian Sandow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

All i see right now instead of putting Bryan over as the face of the WWE they are using him to put anyone and everyone else over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Really looking forward to the Triple H and friends show tonight, i just cant see how they can top the fun and games they had last night though.

I also hope the crowd dump all over them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Sound editor will be ****ting himself tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Sound editor will be ****ting himself tonight.

They'll probably go 'live' a few minutes after start time so they can shut the mics down and use pre recorded crowd noises for Batista.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,604 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'll assume we will see some confrontation between Kane and Punk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I'm planning to watch this. But realistically only to see the fallout of the crowd rebellion at Royal Rumble, to see what the Shield do now, and to see how Brock's title shot will work with EC being the next PPV.

I expect Batista to be going over Bryan at Elimination Chamber because they're 2 guys they're going to want to keep away from the title picture until after the PPV when Batista gets his undeserved spot. If they go with the 6 man match I expect Brock, Orton, Cena, Bray, Sheamus and one more, I'd say Punk only for the Kane business, Reigns only for the Ambrose business. Probably poxy Big Show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

is Lesnar scheduled to make an appearance tonight?

Edit: Just see now that he is.

A confrontation between Orton, Batista and Lesnar would be pretty good

CSF wrote: »
    I'm planning to watch this. But realistically only to see the fallout of the crowd rebellion at Royal Rumble, to see what the Shield do now, and to see how Brock's title shot will work with EC being the next PPV.

I expect Batista to be going over Bryan at Elimination Chamber because they're 2 guys they're going to want to keep away from the title picture until after the PPV when Batista gets his undeserved spot. If they go with the 6 man match I expect Brock, Orton, Cena, Bray, Sheamus and one more, I'd say Punk only for the Kane business, Reigns only for the Ambrose business. Probably poxy Big Show.

Batista maybe one on one with Del Rio at EC and then have Cena, Orton, Lesnar, Bryan, Punk and Kane in the chamber match or Bray and Reigns in for Kane and Punk if they have a one on one clash

Not sure where Sheamus fits in tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Prediction: Sheamus heel turn tonight because the fans didn't give him respect or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I'd like to see Sheamus as part of the authority

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

The fans need to be vocal tonight. That's literally all I'm hoping for.

Honestly, a heel Sheamus would be great. Might actually give his character a bit of direction....

Prediction: Sheamus heel turn tonight because the fans didn't give him respect or whatever.

And attacks Daniel Bryan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

All i see right now instead of putting Bryan over as the face of the WWE they are using him to put anyone and everyone else over.

HHH will put him over at Mania.He's not allowed to be over until he puts him over.Then HHH will be the one who "made" him.:-\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'd really like another Sheamus-Bryan match if they got given more than 10 minutes at Mania.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

I'd really like another Sheamus-Bryan match if they got given more than 10 minutes at Mania.
    Thing is, they could book it to be 25 minutes for weeks in advance, and on the day it'll get cut down to <10 because Taker, Hunter, Cena, the celebrity guest spot and the ad for slim jims will all wind up needing more time than was anticipated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

In regards to what JP LIZ V1 said about a Kane/Punk confrontation, this is how i see it going down

This is wishful thinking more than anything else on my part, but i can see CM Punk coming out at the start of the show, walks towards the ring in a ''Piss me off if you dare'' kinda mood, gets in the ring, grabs a microphone and literally says what we've all been thinking/saying (or maybe it's just me), that their is a conspiracy theory surrounding him & The Authority & Kane are behind said conspiracy theory and that Kane was (Probably ordered by Stephanie or Hunter....... Or a really really long shot Vince perhaps) to eliminate Punk making sure he get's nowhere near the WWE World Heavyweight Championship or the man event of WRESTLEMANIA XXX, thus setting in motion a Punk/Hunter feud for THE GRAND DADDY OF THEM ALL............... But knowing WWE Logic, they'll find a way to screw it up, they always do..... Last night's Rumble match proved it

/RANT OVER

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

No Bryan's above HHH fail project, I like Sheamus he's a great in ring worker but come on Bryan's above that now. He deserves a crack at Lesnar and Taker even he would get a classic out of Batista. We've seen Bryan-sheamus plus it feels like a mid card waste a little time up WM match instead of a big event.

I wouldn't be surprised if they left Bryan off the card tonight, they really don't want to push the guy and having the crowd **** on everything else must be really killing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Bryan and Sheamus had an awesome 2/3 falls match at Extreme Rules 2 years ago.They'd never get the time to top that at Mania so that match does nothing for me,Same with Punk HHH.
    All the matches being thrown around for Mania are rematches,No interest in rematches for the biggest show of the year.The only matches I can think off the top of my head that it worked for were Taker HBK 2 and the TLC matches imo.

You'd think after the crowd **** on Rock/Cena last year they'd have learned by now rematches are always a dumb idea.

Taker vs HBK rematch was inferior to their first match.

HHH vs Taker was inferior to their match at 27.

Etc, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

bradlente wrote: »
    All the matches being thrown around for Mania are rematches,No interest in rematches for the biggest show of the year.

And then you get rematches of those rematches either the next night on RAW, or at the next PPV (Extreme Rules iirc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

And then you get rematches of those rematches either the next night on RAW, or at the next PPV (Extreme Rules iirc)

Or reigniting feuds that have been done to death ala Cena/Orton, jesus how many times was that exact same match booked over the years?

about as often as Kofi Vs Del Rio

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I'm expecting a Bryan/Sheamus Vs Wyatts tag match tonight and Sheamus turning on Bryan.

Loughc wrote: »
    I'm expecting a Bryan/Sheamus Vs Wyatts tag match tonight and Sheamus turning on Bryan.

I will cry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Loughc wrote: »

Not Cena and Bryan?

I'll be expecting Bryan vs Bray, and another clean Bray win.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sophya

The Shield is gonna last til Wrestlemania I think based on the fact that WWE are advertising that they're doing a fan signing in late March. It's nice to know they have about 8 weeks to have more great matches and build the split properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I'll be expecting Bryan vs Bray, and another clean Bray win.

Not a chance time for Bryan to get his win back unless WWE want the fan's to **** on the show again. I say Cena will interfere though.

sophya wrote: »
    The Shield is gonna last til Wrestlemania I think based on the fact that WWE are advertising that they're doing a fan signing in late March. It's nice to know they have about 8 weeks to have more great matches and build the split properly.

Unless they carry on without Reigns maybe a new member joins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,312 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm hoping for a Del Rio/Mysterio match. Haven't seen one in a while. :)

I wonder what direction they'll take Bryan now or would they brave enough to keep him off tv to avoid the chants.
    I'd say there's a chance Batista will turn heel as a reaction and also since he's friends with The Authority anyway.

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I'm hoping for a Del Rio/Mysterio match. Haven't seen one in a while. :)

I wonder what direction they'll take Bryan now or would they brave enough to keep him off tv to avoid the chants.
    I'd say there's a chance Batista will turn heel as a reaction and also since he's friends with The Authority anyway.
    If Batista turns heel, realistically somebody has to win the title from Orton. That match is a hard enough sell already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,312 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'd say it'll be easier to turn him heel than reedit the Rumble finish to make it sound positive. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Anyone think Taker might be making an appearance
    I reckon Taker v reigns is a distinct possibility for WM XXX

brinty wrote: »
    Anyone think Taker might be making an appearance
    I reckon Taker v reigns is a distinct possibility for WM XXX

I'd say it is almost definitely the lineup that has been constantly been posted as a rumour here. The only thing that could change that is the Yes movement, but even that I don't see.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sophya

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Unless they carry on without Reigns maybe a new member joins

True but the shop website has all three of them listed. And the prices for the signing had me raising my eyebrows.

• Advertisement

Would Taker really trust Reigns enough to work with him?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

CSF wrote: »
    I'd say it is almost definitely the lineup that has been constantly been posted as a rumour here. The only thing that could change that is the Yes movement, but even that I don't see.

Didn't WWE come up with the Yes movement?

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Didn't WWE come up with the Yes movement?

I don't know. It definitely isn't impossible that the suits are loving all the attention Bryan is getting, but I don't think that is the case. I mean when you assume, great, the WWE are creating the ultimate underdog, with the intention of getting everyone so behind him that he becomes a superstar later. Great plan. But when do you pull the trigger? Hell in a Cell? Battleground? TLC? Obviously not, if this was all building to something, Wrestlemania is the time for a star to be born. Royal Rumble is the way to get there.

I thought Brie was the major force behind the Yes movement.

Insofar as creating hype and the term "YesMovement"

Wrestling Observer:
    After rewriting several segments throughout the day, we just got word the show is changing again less than two hours before it's start.

Also, it's confirmed Big Show is not at TV, as he flew home from Pittsburgh on the same plane with Kevin Nash.

Update: The writers were just called in by Vince McMahon and they are rewriting the show.

rovert wrote: »
    Wrestling Observer:

h7d6ao.jpg

Bryan taking a wheelchair ride:

lfWNo.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deano546

PWInsider with a bit more
    One source noted that McMahon was not changing the script because of the negative crowd reaction to Batista and the John Cena vs. Randy Orton bout, but "in spite of it." We have also been told that the new script was a vast improvement from the original direction.
    Hyped.

PWInsider on an audio said that given they are paying Batista the big bucks they are dead set on pushing him aggressively as a babyface no matter what.

Top post on r/SquaredCircle
    "CLIMB THE LADDER, CLEVELAND! MAKE YOURSELVES FAMOUS!"

I LOL'd.

• Advertisement
Advertisement