Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry’s Fresh Foods Bryanstown

Options
  • 27-01-2014 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭

Looks like Staffords shop at Bryanstown is gone.
    Shutters are down today and there is a notice saying they have ceased trading.
    It's a shame for everyone who works there, always thought that place seemed busy.

CPL 593H

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

Wow, really surprised if this is the case as the place was always busy....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Awh. Pretty much a daily visit for me :(
    Surprised. I would have thought with the school there and the estates, they would be doing ok.

Hearing that people who collect benefits from he post office have to go to Ballsgrove.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

Really sorry to hear this, really nice staff in that shop.

One problem I noticed is that loads of parents from the school next door would park at staffords some staying from the time the juniors finish to the time the whole school finishes, I'm sure this would put shoppers off going to the shop at lunchtimes and the school traffic in the mornings may have been a factor too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Ah no, I love that shop. It does always seem to be busy enough, but I suppose it all depends on overheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

I was only in there on Saturday, couldn't believe it when I heard this morning.

Where will I get my fix of homemade rocky road now?!! :)

• Advertisement

Just on the post office, I told my neighbour today and he was really upset. He's 70 and as it is he walks a kilometre to the end of the road to get the bus to Bryanstown to collect his pension, he doesn't know how he's going to get up the hill to Ballsgrove from the bus station, he's had a couple of heart ops in the past 10 years and isn't able for the exertion. :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Just on the post office, I told my neighbour today and he was really upset. He's 70 and as it is he walks a kilometre to the end of the road to get the bus to Bryanstown to collect his pension, he doesn't know how he's going to get up the hill to Ballsgrove from the bus station, he's had a couple of heart ops in the past 10 years and isn't able for the exertion. :(.

He might be able to switch his payment to the PO on West st.

He might be able to switch his payment to the PO on West st.

He'll probably have to for the time being, although he's hopeful that a Dublin Rd local office will reopen somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

He'll probably have to for the time being, although he's hopeful that a Dublin Rd local office will reopen somewhere.

What's the old black bull newsagents unit being used as now? Drive past every day and wouldn't even glance at it!

And the walk to West st wouldn't be as tough, he could even go through the town centre and use the lift.

What's the old black bull newsagents unit being used as now? Drive past every day and wouldn't even glance at it!

And the walk to West st wouldn't be as tough, he could even go through the town centre and use the lift.

It's a Mace, but it has nowhere near the choice that staffords had, it does for the basics .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

That's a shame
    The staff there where really nice and friendly .
    It was madness around school time
    And the ATM would be chock a block

That's a shame
    The staff there where really nice and friendly .
    It was madness around school time
    And the ATM would be chock a block

I posted about this problem a year ago in a different thread, giving out about the car park being used as an overflow. It's very annoying, and it would make me choose not to visit the shop at school out time over it, I'd just go elsewhere. And it's not like the school doesn't have a car park, but the lollipop jobsworths probably make it hell to get in and out.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82581339

Just went by now. Quite sad to see the awards stacked against the closed grate :(

Did notice though that despite it being closed, the car park was still 90% full :confused:

Just went by now. Quite sad to see the awards stacked against the closed grate :(

Did notice though that despite it being closed, the car park was still 90% full :confused:

Think that carpark is used by train commuters.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

I posted about this problem a year ago in a different thread, giving out about the car park being used as an overflow. It's very annoying, and it would make me choose not to visit the shop at school out time over it, I'd just go elsewhere. And it's not like the school doesn't have a car park, but the lollipop jobsworths probably make it hell to get in and out.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82581339

Sad to see it go, the staff where friendly and good at they're jobs.

By the way "the lollipop jobsworths" (whatever that means) are there to keep the kids safe and if they did make it hell to get out, which they don't, then its tough

drogdub wrote: »
    Sad to see it go, the staff where friendly and good at they're jobs.

By the way "the lollipop jobsworths" (whatever that means) are there to keep the kids safe and if they did make it hell to get out, which they don't, then its tough

When I was a kid I went to school on a road far, far busier than Bryanstown. We didn't have one lollipop person for 3 large schools that were within 100 metres of each other. From memory, no child ever got knocked down or killed. We used the traffic light crossing to get across the road. We learned the safe cross code, to look each way before stepping out. Kids these days don't do this at all, as they have lollipop people who barely group 2/3 kids together and maybe let one or two cars through before stopping the traffic again. There's always a vast number of cars parked on adjacent roads, and in Staffords car park, presumably because the traffic is bad and it takes far too long to get out of the school car park. Why else would parents park all along the roads, and off the roundabout, and in staffords car park? It's further for the child to walk, so it's certainly not about safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭lamoss

come to think of it, over the years since that development opened up, a lot of businesses have closed up. Since it opened about 10 years ago these have all gone........Indus Indian restaurant, Lemon grass Thai restaurant, Mo,s upmarket fish and chip shop, The first butchers shop that opened ( cant remember the name ) was open for a while then closed ,before the present butchers took over the shop. I think High rents is the common factor here as when the development opened it was property boom time and they were charged top Dollar rents.
    Where the eastern seaboard is now, that site was for a pub originally and it was vacant for about 2 years, if I remember correctly .No one wanted that site for a pub, so I am only guessing here, that the rent was lowered a bit for that site and the seaboard opened up there.
    It would not surprise me that when the Eastern seaboards rent review is due their rent could be doubled as well, and they could close up as well :(

Mo's takeaway was run by the folks from the Eastern Seaboard, who converted the premises into a coffee shop and bakery (brown hound). High rents might not have been the reason for the switchover, just a change in direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 eurosceptic

A quick web search this morning found this regarding the winding-up of Staffords Fine Foods:

http://www.irisoifigiuil.ie/currentissues/Ir240114.pdf

THE HIGH COURT
    RECORD NO. 2013/565 COS
    IN THE MATTER OF
    ORLI FINE FOODS LIMITED
    AND IN THE MATTER OF
    THE COMPANIES ACTS 1963-2009
    Notice is hereby given that a Petition was on 9 December, 2013,
    presented to the High Court by Michael Murphy and Joseph
    Murphy whose place of business is at Bryanstown Centre,
    Drogheda, County Louth, Creditors of the said Company, for
    the winding up by the High Court of the above-named Company
    in main proceedings, (in accordance with Article 3(1) of Council
    Regulation (EC) No. 1346/2000).
    The Petition is directed to be
    heard at 10.30 a.m. on 3 February, 2014. Any Creditor or
    Contributory of the Company who wishes to support or oppose
    the making of an Order on the Petition may appear at the time
    of hearing by himself on his counsel for that purpose and a copy
    of the Petition will be furnished to any Creditor or Contributory
    of the said Company who requires it by the undersigned on
    payment of the regulated charge for the same.
    Signed: FOLEY SOLICITORS,
    Solicitors for the Petitioner,
    7 The Plaza,
    Forster Way,
    Swords,
    County Dublin.
    NOTE: Any person who intends to appear at the hearing of the
    said Petition must serve on or send by post to the
    above-named Petitioner or his Solicitor, notice in
    writing of his intention to do so. The notice must state
    the name and address of the person or if a firm the
    name and address of the firm and must be signed by
    the person or firm, or his or their Solicitor, (if any), and
    must be served, or, if posted, must be sent by post in
    sufficient time to reach the above named Solicitor or
    the Petitioner not later than 5 o’clock in the afternoon
    of Friday, 31 January, 2014.
    [33

^^^ Bloody hell, That explains everything. The business must have been struggling big time to stay afloat :(

• Advertisement

gipi wrote: »
    Mo's takeaway was run by the folks from the Eastern Seaboard, who converted the premises into a coffee shop and bakery (brown hound). High rents might not have been the reason for the switchover, just a change in direction.

You are correct Gipi, my bad.

lamoss wrote: »
    ^^^ Bloody hell, That explains everything. The business must have been struggling big time to stay afloat :(

Rent
    Rates
    Payroll
    Insurance

All these need to be paid before opening the doors every morning and taking a sale. Then there's

capital for stock (suppliers rarely give credit these days)
    A payment to the Post Office. There's more chance that they were paying to have the post office in the store to drum up footfall than the post office paying them rent for the space.
    Utilities
    Cleaners
    Maintenence
    Shrinkage/Wastage (could be high, particularly in a fresh food/deli)

Yet lots of people are prepared to scream "rip off" when a convenience store is more expensive than a large supermarket, even though they cut margins to the lowest possible to try and compete. Staffords wouldn't have stood a chance against the buying might of Tesco & Dunnes, nor did it have an umbrella brand such as musgraves or bwg to keep them stocked, although even they struggle to compete with the big names.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

More reason to support them in Laurence st.
    Ill bite my tongue on the rest of what I was gonna say about the above mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Eurosceptic, very informative first post. Any link to any of the businesses mentioned in this post?

Hello Mylow. I'm not connected to any of the businesses, I'm a resident in Martello Village (the estate on the otherside of the road), was curious to try and find out what befell such a fine local shop that has been the community hub from the outset.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I have (provisionally) deleted a number of posts in this thread due to their possibly libellous nature. If anyone has any questions regarding this please PM me.

Further posts of this nature without a link or reference to the source of such information will result in deletions and infractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 grannymomo

All old customers should support Joe (Stafford) in his other shop, he deserves it, his staff also deserve it they were always so helpful and pleasant, I can see the butchers go next, seldom see anyone there, how they pay rent wages and other overheads beats me. The Eastern Seaboard does good business, they dont charge high prices and serve very good fesh food.

It has now been some weeks since Staffords sadly closed its doors. Is there any news as to what the shop unit is to become? I would assume that it will one day re-open as a convenience store - but who will operate it...spar, centra, mace??? Will the post office be retained?

So some good news.

Apparently someone new will be taking over and opening the shop, and the Post Office will be reopening there within a month :D

• Advertisement

So some good news.

Apparently someone new will be taking over and opening the shop, and the Post Office will be reopening there within a month :D

Overheard today in Dunnes that it's Eurospar, the same people from Bredin St that took up the lease.

Advertisement