Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Evertons - Tuesday 8.00pm

• 27-01-2014 2:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭

The reds vs the blues
    4th vs 6th

yinf.jpg

TEAM NEWS

Liverpool duo Joe Allen and Mamadou Sakho are both doubtful as they continue to nurse hamstring injuries.

The Reds are already without injured quartet Jose Enrique, Daniel Agger, Lucas Leiva and Glen Johnson.

Everton are assessing knocks to Phil Jagielka, Sylvain Distin, Antolin Alcaraz, Seamus Coleman, Ross Barkley and Steven Pienaar.
    New striker Lacina Traore may be risked despite a recent hamstring injury, but Bryan Oviedo (broken leg) is out.

MATCH PREVIEW

Brendan Rodgers's belief that Liverpool should still be considered as title contenders despite being six points behind third place is not entirely far-fetched.
    It's based on the fact that all the other sides in the current top six still have to play at Anfield, whilst Liverpool have already played them all away.
    Whilst that's true, Rodgers would probably agree that Liverpool will need to take maximum points from those five crucial home games to exert any real pressure on the breakaway top three, starting with this mouth-watering derby.

Liverpool should be confident against anyone at Anfield, where they've lost just one of their last 20, but the sloppy home draw with Villa last time out will need to be a one-off.

If the Reds still consider themselves to be in the title race, what about Everton? Just a point worse off than Rodgers's side, Everton's campaign has perhaps been the better story, however impressive Liverpool have been.
    The manner in which Roberto Martinez has changed Everton's approach, without losing any of the sheer bloody-mindedness that was a feature of the team under David Moyes, must already have made him a contender for manager of the season.

If Everton were to finish in the top four or win the FA Cup, then Martinez would have a very strong case indeed.

Like Liverpool, the Toffees play some lovely stuff going forward, but defensively they're better than their neighbours.

Since the first Merseyside mash-up of the season, the thunderous 3-3 draw at Goodison in November, Liverpool have conceded 15 goals in 10 Premier League games to Everton's seven.

Nobody has scored more than one past an Everton keeper since, you guessed it, Liverpool.

Working out how many players you'd pick to make a combined XI from each squad, if everyone was fit, is an interesting exercise if you have a spare 10 minutes; mine came down to six of one and five of the other, but that's all I'm giving away.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head
    Liverpool are unbeaten in the last 13 Premier League Merseyside derbies at Anfield (W6, D7). Everton's last away win came courtesy of a Kevin Campbell goal in 1999.

Everton have gone six Premier League matches without a win against Liverpool, although the last three meetings have all been drawn.
    The Merseyside derby has produced 20 red cards in the Premier League, more than other fixture in the division.

Liverpool are unbeaten in their last eight Premier League home matches, only dropping points in the 2-2 draw with Aston Villa last time out. They have scored at least twice in each of those games, and managed three goals or more in six of them.

The Reds have scored a league-high 64% of their goals this season in the first half.

Luis Suarez needs one goal to match his 2012-13 tally of 23.
    Steven Gerrard has scored seven Premier League goals against Everton, the most by any player in Merseyside derbies.
    Everton

The Toffees are unbeaten in their last seven Premier League away matches (W3, D4), their best streak since an eight-match run (W2, D6) between September and December 2010.

They have conceded 11 goals in away matches - the joint-fewest in the league, alongside Chelsea.

Roberto Martinez could earn his 100th league win as a manager. It would be his 12th Premier League victory with Everton, the most he has achieved in a single season in the top flight.

Nine-goal top scorer Romelu Lukaku has only scored once in his last nine league matches, and none of his last six away appearances. He has scored four goals in four Premier League appearances against Liverpool.
    Phil Jagielka could make his 200th Premier League appearance for Everton.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,568 ✭✭✭✭CSF

1-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Tighter than a carlow mans wallet this match. Score draw

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Im gonna go with liverpool to win and Suarez and Sturridge to score :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

..............Howard
    Coleman..jag..distan...baines
    Barkley ..Barry... mcCartey
    Sturidge…Suarez... lukaku

Going for one nil Liverpool win

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm really looking forward to this game, yet dreading it at the same time. Hopefully it'll be a classic (home win) but it'll probably be a dull game in the face of expectations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Oranage2 wrote: »
    ..............Howard

Uh oh... we all know where this is going ^^

Very hard to predict.

The only thing I'll say with any degree of confidence is that neither side will keep a clean sheet.

I'll take a stab at a 3-1 Liverpool win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

If Gerrard shows up like he usually does in the derby then I think we'll win comfortably. I think we'll sneak it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,671 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Have the same nervous feelign about this as I did just before the Spurs game... Hopefully this works out the same!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭Chris The Hacker

Why does the tread title says "Evertons", as in, a plural of Everton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Think there will be goals because there often is in this game. Plus Liverpool are missing most of their defence and at home it's hard to see Suarez and Sturridge not bagging a couple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Martinez has said Coleman is definitely out and Distin is a major doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Martinez has said Coleman is definitely out and Distin is a major doubt.

Goals at both end so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

A disappointing 1-1.

Why does the tread title says "Evertons", as in, a plural of Everton?

Because that's how The Rigger rolls, yo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

..............Howard

Henderson for McCarthy and maybe Sakho for Distin and that'd be my combined team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

..............Howard

Skrtel for Distin, Henderson for McCarthy.

2-1 Liverpool, home crowd carries them over the line...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

God, even with Henderson's undoubted improvements I would have said McCarthy quite easily.

Kind of surprising how many Everton players I find myself picking in any combined XI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I just hope the ref is paying attention (though not to Skrtel obviously!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Will be a number of boardsies in Anfield tomorrow. Should be enough to cause a Liverpool win. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

pool to concede a few and score a few

• Advertisement

Nervous

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Actually whos reffing again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Actually whos reffing again?

Atkinson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I am actually quietly confident about this one. Stones might be a good player in the future, but I would like to think we might be able to exploit his inexperience. Distin I would expect to me back, but is he fit? Again, I would like to see our attack target him, specifically his lack of pace. Can see us edging Everton out by a single goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

There will be goals. That's as much as I'm gonna predict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

I would like if Distin plays he seems to panic when anyone is nearby particularly someone pacey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

With a complete second choice back line and two fit midfielders it will be a tough one, feels like we've to score 3 to at least get something out of a game these days. 2-2 me thinks. Shame about all the injuries in both teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Finical wrote: »
    I would like if Distin plays he seems to panic when anyone is nearby particularly someone pacey.

Distin has a lot of pace. It's probably his biggest strength and despite his age there's not many who get the better of him. He's carrying an injury though, like a number of Everton players.

Being a bluenose, I'd take a draw at Anfield all day long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

915701.gif

Should have been Super Rush to create match thread

Just hope Suarez stays away from Mirallas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

We need and want 3 points . We are at home . I expect it to be tight , but we have Luiscitto :p

3-1 Home win .

Wrap up tight. It's gonna be a cold one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Even with our injury problems, I don't fear this anywhere near as much as I would under Moyes, Liverpool may be dreading playing us as well with their defence seemingly decimated. They conceded 3 against Stoke, and 2 against villa - two poor sides. If we get amongst them we will create chances and I fancy us to score a couple. Keeping SAS quiet is where we will know the outcome of this game.

If Lukaku turns up it could be interesting but Barkley and Coleman being out for this means it's almost essential for us.

That, or they'll get a late pen, we'll have at least one red card or they will put one past us via 17 deflections :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

915701.gif

ahheyor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

915701.gif

True and I hope Gerrard doesn't go gun ho with 2 footed lunges.

But back to the football, Barkley and Coleman are big big loses for us. Stones and Distin need to have the game of their lives. If Mirallas and the midfield can put in a shift maybe we can sneak something. Head says Pool 2-1 winner coming from a deflection in the 88min, heart says score draw.
    Liverpool cant afford to lose this game, and depends on Evertons approach. We've done alright in big games away from home under Martinez this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

..............Howard

You're mad controversial you...pure loose cannon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its the derby anything can happen but I'm going to go for an early goal for Everton, Liverpool then to wake up and win 2/3-1.

Must win for Liverpool with city playing Tottenham, they could be 3 clear of spurs, 4 clear of everton and 6 of man united.

Derby day is here! I are excite. I would have loved to be at it, but midweek scheduling meant it didn't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

0-0 borefest. Still, can't wait

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

8-10 wrote: »

not.a.chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

8-10 wrote: »

Yeah I can't see that, Everton may have a weak defense due to injuries and defensively Liverpool will have a weak midfield. Goals!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Wish I had BT Sport now!

I thought I'd be able to get a Sky Sports Day pass for the game but didn't realise it was on BT.

Yeah I can't see that, Everton may have a weak defense due to injuries and defensively Liverpool will have a weak midfield. Goals!

Both teams are decimated at the back due to injuries. i can't see it being a 0-0 whatsoever, but these games do tend to surprise. I think the 0-0 at Anfield last season was the first in ages.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

noodler wrote: »
    Wish I had BT Sport now!

I thought I'd be able to get a Sky Sports Day pass for the game but didn't realise it was on BT.

There doing an offer at the moment, tenner a month!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Bag of cans on the train up. Happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

You're mad controversial you...pure loose cannon.

Okay…:confused:

Besides distin I think It's spot on, Liverpool haven't put out a consistent back four tough I'd agree sakho, agger and skertle are all better than him. Also the keepers are similar and I put jag in the team just because the better defensive record though there is very little in it between both team's CB.

Henderson might get into the team too but I would rather have both barkley and mcCarthy over him. I think any non Liverpool fan would Also.

Also there's very little it between gerard and Barry,I chose Barry, I wouldn't argue against someone picking Gerard though.

The front line picks itself.

Everton have finished above Liverpool for the past two seasons and are only behind by one point this season, that was not a controversial team selection.

So if you want to debate my team go ahead and stop Thank whoring!

It's a pity there are so many injuries from both teams tonight, although hopefully the derby atmosphere can raise the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Looking forward to it tonight, First mid week game in a while I'll get to properly watch due to a change in work hours!

11/8 for Sturridge anytime.

Decent price for a man in form

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

First Merseyside derby since I've moved here, Hopefully be a good atmosphere in town tonight. Pity Tranmere aren't involved as I live beside Prenton Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

noodler wrote: »
    Wish I had BT Sport now!

Special deal noodler

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88702252&postcount=4471

• Advertisement
Advertisement