Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ballistic glasses

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

matty1994 wrote: »
    i have my eye on a pair of http://www.swisseye-tactical.com/en/tactical-glasses/details/raptor would these offer protection from a bb? also will take recommendations for similar style glasses, my budget would be around E40 max

You can pick up either ESS ice 2.4 ballistic glasses or Revision sawfly glasses for cheap-enough as British army surplus these days; like around the £30-40 mark.

They'll take a shotgun blast when the rest of your face wont ... so BB hits wont be a problem I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭matty1994

Lemming wrote: »
    ESS ice 2.4 ballistic glasses for £15.00 on special offer.

They'll take a shotgun blast when the rest of your face wont ... so BB hits wont be a problem I'm sure.

I like them, where are they for £15??

I like them, where are they for £15??

Sorry, I had seen the "items in stock: 3" and failed to see the "Out of stock" sign ... so removed the link as it was a bit crap.

But basically, the ESS ice were british army issue for years, although have been phased out for the Revision sawfly glasses instead, but either will do the job quite nicely. You'll pick up a pair in a case with three types of lense for under £40; picked my ESS glasses up at a military show out in Swords a couple of years ago for £20.

Sorry, I had seen the "items in stock: 3" and failed to see the "Out of stock" sign ...

Awh got my hopes up:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Awh got my hopes up:(

Have look here £34 uk comes with 3 colored lenese and a band/strap

http://www.uktactical.com/p-3857-ess-ice-eyeshield-with-3-lenses.aspx

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    Have look here £34 uk comes with 3 colored lenese and a band/strap

http://www.uktactical.com/p-3857-ess-ice-eyeshield-with-3-lenses.aspx

Found some on ebay for €45 posted but think i will go with these as i would trust a website more:) thanks:)

Found some on ebay for €45 posted but think i will go with these as i would trust a website more:) thanks:)

There a very trusted retailer ,

A good few of us on here have bought kit from them top notch service

There a very trusted retailer ,

A good few of us on here have bought kit from them top notch service

I shall order them when i get paid so:) thanks again:) hate using goggles and these seem pretty good protection wise:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

i have my eye on a pair of http://www.swisseye-tactical.com/en/tactical-glasses/details/raptor would these offer protection from a bb? also will take recommendations for similar style glasses, my budget would be around E40 max

I have the Raptors myself and find them brilliant, no fogging and they hold prescription lenses that I need. Personally picked them up from AirsoftEire where we were shown a set that SwissEyes rep had personally shot with his own Shotgun and they held up very well against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

I have a set of ESS ICE glasses and not impressed at all with them. One hairline crack appeared after a few months of little use maybe 3 skirmishes if even, this was present where the earpiece slots in to the lens notches. Then a second fracture where the other notch was, and finally a 3rd where your nose would sit.

The nose piece itself cracked when I replaced the dark lens for the clear. I contacted ESS about it so I have to send them back to their warranty department

Those raptor glasses seem good so I may wait for a few more reviews. Now this is just my experience with with my ESS glasses, in all likelihood I got a lemon, these things happen.

• Advertisement

I have a set of ESS ICE glasses and not impressed at all with them. One hairline crack appeared after a few months of little use maybe 3 skirmishes if even, this was present where the earpiece slots in to the lens notches. Then a second fracture where the other notch was, and finally a 3rd where your nose would sit.

The nose piece itself cracked when I replaced the dark lens for the clear. I contacted ESS about it so I have to send them back to their warranty department

Those raptor glasses seem good so I may wait for a few more reviews. Now this is just my experience with with my ESS glasses, in all likelihood I got a lemon, these things happen.

I think you've been incredibly unlucky with your glasses then; I've had my ESS for about the better part of four/five years and never had issues with cracks. FireKitten had a pair just like mine (I picked the two pairs up at the same fair) and again no issues other than eventually losing them.

I did crack the nose piece a couple of years ago but it's still in one piece - just have to be careful with it when swapping out lenses - which you have to be anyway. It's the one weak-link in my opinion with any sort of glasses where you can swap the lense; not just ESS. Thjat said, you can pick up replacements for about £5 if it really comes to not looking after them and being rough when swapping out lenses

I think you've been incredibly unlucky with your glasses then; I've had my ESS for about the better part of four/five years and never had issues with cracks. FireKitten had a pair just like mine (I picked the two pairs up at the same fair) and again no issues other than eventually losing them.

I did crack the nose piece a couple of years ago but it's still in one piece - just have to be careful with it when swapping out lenses - which you have to be anyway. It's the one weak-link in my opinion with any sort of glasses where you can swap the lense; not just ESS. Thjat said, you can pick up replacements for about £5 if it really comes to not looking after them and being rough when swapping out lenses

Wasn't rough in the slightest, I have two similar glasses of a different brand with interchangeble lenses one of which was 1/4 the price of the ESS and they are near perfect. Only time I changed the lens was when the smoked ones cracked, the clear ones are perfect but I like the smoked lens, like I said a lemon as I know ESS has an outstanding track record.

Wasn't rough in the slightest, I have two similar glasses of a different brand with interchangeble lenses one of which was 1/4 the price of the ESS and they are near perfect. Only time I changed the lens was when the smoked ones cracked, the clear ones are perfect but I like the smoked lens, like I said a lemon as I know ESS has an outstanding track record.

Where did you buy them from ,
    I'd be more worried about fakes vs lemons

Where did you buy them from ,
    I'd be more worried about fakes vs lemons

Nah there legit alright, bought from reputable retailer.

If im feeling generous to myself i may just buy a pair of raptors and ess ice, but i found on ebay the frames for cheap so i may buy 2 more frames and frame each lens so i dont have to go about removing and swapping all the time

If im feeling generous to myself i may just buy a pair of raptors and ess ice, but i found on ebay the frames for cheap so i may buy 2 more frames and frame each lens so i dont have to go about removing and swapping all the time

Whatever works for you; tbh the only part of the ESS ice that you need to be careful with when swapping around is the nose-piece. The mistake i made was squeezing at both ends rather than from further up the bridge where it's stronger.

I now have a pair of ESS Crossbows which are a different frame design (except for the nose piece), but they're somewhat upwards of the price-range you want.

Whatever works for you; tbh the only part of the ESS ice that you need to be careful with when swapping around is the nose-piece. The mistake i made was squeezing at both ends rather than from further up the bridge where it's stronger.

I now have a pair of ESS Crossbows which are a different frame design (except for the nose piece), but they're somewhat upwards of the price-range you want.

Well the only thing i can do now is get me a pair lol

Advertisement