Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

**Setanta Insurance**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Perhaps he wanted to protect his car in case anything happened to it

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rocksolid

Got myself covered today also, with FBD directly as they offered my 7 months cover till the end of when my setanta was supposed to end...

Had to take it out as i had too close of a call over the weekend....

I was also offered Petrona at an incredible low rate by my prevoius broker but after a few questions was told that they operate in Denmark and do not fall under Irish regulations so wouldnt touch them with a barge pole, also was told that if you were to cancel a monthly direct debit with setanta (even though they are not providing cover your paying for) that your credit rating would be affected....

Also when i rang to my broker to inform them that i had new cover taken out, they said they would cancel my setanta policy (god knows why as its useless anyways) but had the cheek to look for the insurance disc and cert back, not a hope they are getting it....

NoelDoran wrote: »
    I was also offered Petrona at an incredible low rate by my prevoius broker but after a few questions was told that they operate in Denmark and do not fall under Irish regulations so wouldnt touch them with a barge pole, .

You should read this about Patrona

http://www.patrona.ie/Tranparency_And_Security/

I have an association with this business

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

I got insured with Quote Devil at 4:55pm last Wednesday. Tried ringing Sheridan's all day, but to no avail and the temporary cover was expiring at 5pm.

Anyway Quote Devil insured me for €300 third party, as I didn't feel like paying a double whack of fully compo for the one year.

I guess we'll be waiting a while for the 'no claims' proof letter from Setanta then? This is a necessary document for the new policy cover and I think they give you ten days to produce it? I wonder if Setanta will even bother their ass to send the letters out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 mercfisher

If anyone on here got insurance through a broker since 24th January 2014 then be assured, the brokers in this part of the world are finally waking up, several people I know including me have been told by the brokers that the cheque is in the post today ! So please don't despair, now I'm told that there's no admission of liability clause included in the letter with the cheque but I'll live with that!
    Keep an eye up and Ill tell you when I get the cheque and even more importantly when it clears, bankers brokers politicians solicitors...i can see clearly now as the song says!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I got insured with Quote Devil at 4:55pm last Wednesday. Tried ringing Sheridan's all day, but to no avail and the temporary cover was expiring at 5pm.

Anyway Quote Devil insured me for €300 third party, as I didn't feel like paying a double whack of fully compo for the one year.

I guess we'll be waiting a while for the 'no claims' proof letter from Setanta then? This is a necessary document for the new policy cover and I think they give you ten days to produce it? I wonder if Setanta will even bother their ass to send the letters out?

We have 7 days from today to get the no claims letter - I too was wondering if Setanta will produce same - this has the potential to get very messy.

Pretzill wrote: »
    We have 7 days from today to get the no claims letter - I too was wondering if Setanta will produce same - this has the potential to get very messy.

You'd think the very least they could do is to post out the bloody no claims letters, after screwing us around so much already. How hard can that be?

Absolute muppets!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

I only joined Setanta last November and before that I was with Zurich so I got a copy of my no claims history from Zurich and sent that on to Chill, they were happy to accept that, maybe others can do the same...

I think You should be sent a copy of your bonus history every year along with your renewal notice..

The broker said he was hopeful of getting my bonus history from Setanta and is to send it out, God knows when that will be, as for getting money back, well I won't hold my breath on that one...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Hotwheels wrote: »
    I only joined Setanta last November and before that I was with Zurich so I got a copy of my no claims history from Zurich and sent that on to Chill, they were happy to accept that, maybe others can do the same...

I think You should be sent a copy of your bonus history every year along with your renewal notice..

The broker said he was hopeful of getting my bonus history from Setanta and is to send it out, God knows when that will be, as for getting money back, well I won't hold my breath on that one...

We've been asked to use the most recent no claims cert - which we have from last year - seeing as there were no claims since our new insurers are accepting that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Iansheridan

On setantas website today

Notice to Policyholders re Cancellation of Policies of Insurance

9th May 2014
    At an Extraordinary General Meeting of Setanta Insurance Company Limited (the ''Company'') held on 16th April 2014 it was resolved that the Company surrender its insurance business licence to the Malta Financial Services Authority and be immediately dissolved. Furthermore at a meeting of creditors of the Company held on 30th April 2014 I was appointed as liquidator of the Company.

Take notice that, all policies of insurance issued by or on behalf of the Company will be cancelled by way of 7 days' notice or 10 days' notice to policyholders in accordance with their policy documents. These Notices of cancellation shall be issued within the next seven days. I believe this to be in the best interest of policyholders as it avoids a situation where consumers would continue to drive vehicles insured by the Company in circumstances where their claims are unlikely to be paid in full.

I would urge policyholders to make alternative insurance arrangements without delay. Policyholders may cancel their policies before cancellation by the Company and are advised to do so by notifying their broker in writing immediately.

This notice supercedes all previous Company and third party communications. The notice period will expire, and policies will be cancelled, in accordance with the cancellation notices to be issued to policyholders.

Policyholders and brokers should continue to send correspondence on individual Claims or other claims matters to the Company at:

Setanta Insurance Services Limited,

Suite 6, Plaza 255,

Blanchardstown Corporate Park 2,

Ballycoolin,

Dublin 15, Ireland

Tel: 0818 255 255

Dated this 9th Day of May 2014

Paul Mercieca,

Liquidator

Setanta Insurance Company Limited (in liquidation)

The Setanta in Liquidation Website is in the process of being updated and further details will be put up shortly

By evoking the cancellation clause under the policy, Setanta will be obliged to refund policyholders for the unused portion of the policy.

However, I don't see anyone actually receiving cash at this moment in time and policyholders will become creditors. Just my opinion though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

This notice supercedes all previous Company and third party communications. The notice period will expire, and policies will be cancelled, in accordance with the cancellation notices to be issued to policyholders.

Thats going to make it interesting for former Setanta customers who will now not be able to answer No to whether they have had a policy cancelled on online quote forms...

djimi wrote: »
    Thats going to make it interesting for former Setanta customers who will now not be able to answer No to whether they have had a policy cancelled on online quote forms...

Good point. Hopefully common sense will prevail when an applicant truthfully answers Yes, and follows it up with a comment that it was part of the Setanta debacle

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

oldyouth wrote: »
    Good point. Hopefully common sense will prevail when an applicant truthfully answers Yes, and follows it up with a comment that it was part of the Setanta debacle

Oh Im sure that it will, but an online form is unlikely to quote when a policy has been cancelled, and you cant lawfully answer No.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

djimi wrote: »

I assume then, that the best option owuld be to cancel the policy yourself?

BTW. Brokers were advised today that NCB certs for all policyholders are being sent out shortly. Your broker will contact you when they arrive

mercfisher wrote: »
    If anyone on here got insurance through a broker since 24th January 2014 then be assured, the brokers in this part of the world are finally waking up, several people I know including me have been told by the brokers that the cheque is in the post today ! So please don't despair, now I'm told that there's no admission of liability clause included in the letter with the cheque but I'll live with that!
    Keep an eye up and Ill tell you when I get the cheque and even more importantly when it clears, bankers brokers politicians solicitors...i can see clearly now as the song says!

Hi Mercfisher. Any update on this??

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mercfisher

Old youth has asked me for an update, basically my broker sold me a policy on 30th of January and I argued the point with him that he shouldn't have at this stage as Setanta had said on 24th Jan that they were not doing renewals or underwriting any new business,any way to cut a long story short I got a cheque from him for the full premium which I paid at the end of January on Friday the cheque was accompanied by a long letter of waffle and a disclaimer that the payment was a gesture of goodwill and not an admission of liability.

• Advertisement

If you paid via credit or debit card you will be entitled to a charge-back for the remaining period of the policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

If you paid via credit or debit card you will be entitled to a charge-back for the remaining period of the policy.

On the moneyguideireland site it says chargeback only works for 120 days after the cc transaction. This means that anyone who took out insurance before January is still screwed? (We renewed in November...). Still worth contacting the cc company?

galah wrote: »
    On the moneyguideireland site it says chargeback only works for 120 days after the cc transaction. This means that anyone who took out insurance before January is still screwed? (We renewed in November...). Still worth contacting the cc company?

No, it's 120 days after you recognise the problem.

Someone sent me a link of Conor Pope on Ray Darcy this morning advising Setanta customers to do the same.

I contacted my bank today and they told me to send in the details in writing with a copy of the policy (took out policy last Sep). It sounded like I wasn't the first person today, probably due to Conor Pope.

Have a listen here. Jump to 41 mins.

Anyone get their No Claims Letter yet from Setanta?

No, it's 120 days after you recognise the problem.

Someone sent me a link of Conor Pope on Ray Darcy this morning advising Setanta customers to do the same.

I contacted my bank today and they told me to send in the details in writing with a copy of the policy (took out policy last Sep). It sounded like I wasn't the first person today, probably due to Conor Pope.

Have a listen here. Jump to 41 mins.

As someone who works very closely to the credit card schemes and processor regulations, it is infact 120/180 days since the transaction date (depending on your card issuer and the dispute reason)

As someone who works very closely to the credit card schemes and processor regulations, it is infact 120/180 days since the transaction date (depending on your card issuer and the dispute reason)

This is from today's examiner. http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/hope-for-setanta-insurance-customers-269265.html

The girl from AIB said nothing to me about 180 days and she asked me when I took out the policy (last September). She said to send the stuff in to them.

No idea how if could be 180 days, if you paid for a 12 month policy. I'd be with Conor Pope on this one, as he said on the radio clip above, it's 180 days after you encounter the problem.

This is from today's examiner. http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/hope-for-setanta-insurance-customers-269265.html

The girl from AIB said nothing to me about 180 days and she asked me when I took out the policy (last September). She said to send the stuff in to them.

No idea how if could be 180 days, if you paid for a 12 month policy. I'd be with Conor Pope on this one, as he said on the radio clip above, it's 180 days after you encounter the problem.

Don't believe everything you hear on the radio or read on the internet,
    Contact your card issuer and ask for a copy of their chargeback rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JoeThing

^^

Be wary of companies like Patrona.

They have only cropped up in the last short while, their target market is the same as Setanta's was so the reality is that it could end up in the same way as Setanta did.

Dont get blinded by a cheaper price, at the end of the day, the insurance is only as good as the company underwriting it so as someone with alot of industry experience Id advise going with a recognised company such as Aviva, Zurich or FBD.

Yes, you will probably pay a little bit more but for piece of mind, its worth every penny.
    I would agree. Mike Matthews who formed Setanta is involved heavily with Patrona.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Its strange that you have only joined this month and the only two posts you made refer to Mike Matthews being involved with Patrona.

Maybe you would like to elaborate on what exactly he has to do with Patrona? Because he had set up Sevitt Consulting Ltd and doesnt appear to have gone anywhere else since.

It's also probably important to point out that he quit Setanta 3 years so not really sure what you are alluding here. On that basis I'm calling shennanigans!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 panorton

Hi Guys
    Sorry to hear about all your losses. I renewed my policy on Feb 18th through a broker. I have read since that Noonan was questioned about Setanta in the dail in January and said they would not be issuing any new, or renewing any policies. yet mine was renewed nearly a month later. My broker is writing to me to explain how this came about. Anyone in the same boat?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement