Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What food do you bring with you?

Options
  • 27-01-2014 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭

Some of ye might bring interesting food with ye? do you put much effort into planning it. what consdsiderations do you have, weight, cooking time, transportability?

Im lazy enough myself recently just bringing a tin of spaghetti , with added meat so I can just cook it in the can. Breakfast have been bringing porridge . In the past Ive just brought things I'd cooked at home and froze them in plastic containers and once did a boil in the bag omlette. I have never brought food that needed to be cooked.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

tin of beans for breakfast hate porridge:D tin of soup for supper i drink gallons of tea/coffee.
    im the worst cook on the planet so it has to be food i can heat up.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

I was supposed to be in the mountains now had my gear all packed for two days then saw the weather it hadent got any better so i postponed til the weekend. In my pack i had two day ration packs i did myself consisting of.
    Three meals per day. One breakfast cereal granola with milk. One lunch noodles or soup. Snacks like nature valley bars or neutragrain bars. Tea and coffee. Sugar. One main meal per day beef casarole and dumplings and chicken and curried rice. Picked both these up in great outsoors 5 euro each. When out i buy my milk before going and just find a nice sheltered place near my camp to store it and it keeps fine for two days or even longer. Will try and get out friday. The ration packs are so handy cus if you have a few done up for 24 hours you can throw one in when going for a day hike just incase.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I restock along the way but head out with Nutella (transferred to plastic container, lighter), lump of cheese, lump of ham, brown bread loaf, cherry tomatoes and a hand of bananas.
    Water only and sometimes a pint at the last pub so I can refill my water.
    Have an Optimus multi fuel and cookware but rarely bring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Crapbag

For me, it very much depends on what im doing. Freeze dried stuff is great but after a few days I find it hard on the system. Breakfast is generally porridge with dried fruit (honey in a small container if I'm not restricted on weight). Snacks, again depends on the activity. Something bready or home made jerky if I'm not on the move. Otherwise granola, mixed fruit, bananas if im hiking. Main meals can vary from dried noodles with Chirizo to proper meals with carrots, onions & pasta. I find that knorr stock pots and Oxo cubes are a great addition to any meal kit (especially for replacing salts on long hikes). Sometimes I make up a zip lock bag with pre chopped veg, a stock pot, rice and some dried meat. It's amazing! Just throw it in some water and away you go.

Brews can vary from powered hot chocolate to tea or Army powdered orange drink for the evenings.

I've had a few stoves over the years. Currently I mix between a Swedish Trangia & an MSR Whisperlite for longer trips where fuel is a concern. There are so many options out there but my favourite cooker is still the open fire :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

Does anybody here cook on the trail or while camping. Ive seen on you tube a few people making bannock bread while camping including ray mears and it looks dead easy with just a pot snd a small frying pan.
    The recipei saw was
    Two parts flour to one part powdered egg.
    Raisins
    Depending on the size of your mix some bread soda
    (One cup of flour id estimate a tea spoon of bread soda)
    And water to make your mix into a dough. Add slowly so you dont over do it

Form a dough but dont kneed it then fry in the pan turning once or twice until you get a nice colour.

Its something i havent tried but im keen to give it a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Crapbag

Yep, we regularly do it. Its a very versatile mix. You can make it sweet or savoury depending on what you add. You can add some dried herbs or dried tomato for a savoury or just add some sugar and raisins for a dessert. It's brilliant stuff. Just make sure and pack it safe where it wont burst and go all over your kit. I've seen it done so many ways. Dont add too much water or its a nightmare to manage. Try keep it fairly flat & thin too. It requires some playing with to get right. Best thing to do is make a few batches and bring them with you. Play with the different mixes doing different things

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

SNAKEDOC wrote: »
    Does anybody here cook on the trail or while camping. Ive seen on you tube a few people making bannock bread while camping including ray mears and it looks dead easy with just a pot snd a small frying pan.
    The recipei saw was
    Two parts flour to one part powdered egg.
    Raisins
    Depending on the size of your mix some bread soda
    (One cup of flour id estimate a tea spoon of bread soda)
    And water to make your mix into a dough. Add slowly so you dont over do it

Form a dough but dont kneed it then fry in the pan turning once or twice until you get a nice colour.

Its something i havent tried but im keen to give it a shot.

I use this and it goes down a treat:

Ingredients

2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
    1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
    1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
    1/2 cup (125 mL) milk
    1/2 cup (125 mL) water
    vegetabIe oil, for frying

If you've no milk, double up on water. Cook time is about 15 mins.

Try it in the frying pan at home to get the mix and ratios that taste best to you. Lash on the butter as soon as it comes out of the pan!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I've never used MREs, so opinions required. I'm looking at the MREs sold by the Great Outdoors. If these are being sold as full meals, they do not look adequate for a regimen of three meals per day.

Let's take the Beef Stew & Dumplings. The nutritional information describes 121 calories*.
    (Presumably this is per 100g, but I cannot find official clarification on this from the manufacturer's website).
    Product Description - Beef Stew & Dumplings

Nutritional Information

•Energy: 508kj/121kcal

•Protein: 6.9g

•Carbohydrate: 12.3g

•Fat: 4.9g

Specifications

•Weight: 300g

Let's say that a man needs 2,500 calories per day, for the sake of argument.

The Wayfarer meal weighs 300g and contains 121 cal/100g (presumably). This comes to 363 cal in the meal.

2500/363 = 6.88

Does that mean that a man would need to bring 7 of these for one day?? That sounds like a lot to bring, or else the meals do not provide sufficient nutrition. Not by a long shot.

Looking at this review of the Wayfarer meals, this guy describes a breakfast with 405 cal (that's a 300g meal at 135 cal/100g). He says:
    you do not feel like you have had enough.

Looking at the numbers, it doesn't look like there could be enough unless you brought 6 or 7 of these MREs per day, at least. At €5 each, you would end up paying well over the odds for your camp food.

Am I missing something? Have I been unfair to Wayfarer?

*Link
    For the sake of convenience, the word calorie is used instead of the more technically correct kilocalorie.

Advertisement