Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Dried Sage instead of Fresh?

• 27-01-2014 3:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭

Hi all. To begin, I have to admit that I'm a terrible cook.

I want to have a go at cooking the following sage and onion stuffing:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3056/sausage-sage-and-onion-stuffing

The recipe requires "a handful" of sage. However, sage does not appear to have come to the shops of the midlands and I can only find dried sage in my local shops. I am wondering if this will do instead. If it will, how much do you suggest I use eg, two teaspoons etc.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Without being smart, about as much as you need.

When I'm making stuffing I normally use fresh herbs but never measure them. I tend to just use the sniff test, and when it smells herby enough, its time.

Edit: Dried herbs are more potent than fresh so less is more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭TheBody

sullivlo wrote: »
    Without being smart, about as much as you need.

When I'm making stuffing I normally use fresh herbs but never measure them. I tend to just use the sniff test, and when it smells herby enough, its time.

Edit: Dried herbs are more potent than fresh so less is more!

Thanks for the reply. As I said in my op, I haven't a clue. How much would you suggest for the first time? I can adjust the amount up or down in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

As mentioned, add to taste.

Dried sage is quite pungent, so you don't need much. If you're using 800g of sausage meat, then start with 1 teaspoon and then adjust next time. Some people don't like much of it at all, so better to start with less.

Salt and pepper will help and if you're looking for a christmas taste, add a very small bit of cinnamon and nutmeg. Dried cranberries or apricots would also go well with it.

If you have allspice, I'd add a decent bit of this too - it will make the stuffing taste kinda like white pudding rather than sausage.

Good advice is just to smell the various herbs/spices - add what your nose tells you will make the dish tastier !

F.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

You'll have difficulty getting fresh sage at this time of year.I grow it and it won't reappear again now until Spring at least.

Dried sage is really strong, when making sage and onion stuffing for a chicken I normally use three teaspoons or thereabouts, fresh parsley and obviously salt and pepper.Start off with a teaspoon and then add each teaspoon separately until you're satisfied with the taste!

And don't worry about not being able to cook, everyone starts somewhere and when you get into the swing of it there is nothing more satisfying!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

there is nothing to stop you from having a hot frying pan on the go when you are making it and fry a small amount, and tasting it - you can then adjust so you don't end up with a huge amount that is not very good.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies folks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Merkin wrote: »
    You'll have difficulty getting fresh sage at this time of year.I grow it and it won't reappear again now until Spring at least.

And don't worry about not being able to cook, everyone starts somewhere and when you get into the swing of it there is nothing more satisfying!! :)

I lost all my sage in the recent bad winds, I hope it'll reappear in the Spring, nothing like it!

Every new recipe is a challenge, keep at it OP, there is great satisfaction in cooking a nice meal and getting the clap on the back afterwards!...:)

And the nice rewarding glass of wine at the table!..:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Mine's still perfectly OK outside in the herb garden.

Alun wrote: »
    Mine's still perfectly OK outside in the herb garden.

Lucky you.

Mine didn't survive the deluge of rough weather so it will need to get a bit sunnier for it to thrive again.

I have mine in large pots outside the back door. They are all well and in good health, but if the weather looks like being nasty I bring them in... :rolleyes:

Most of them have come from the Lidl or Aldi and I re-pot them when I get home.

• Advertisement

Awww, that's cute Animord! All my herbs are in our herb garden which is a great little sun trap but the poor little things didn't like the gale and downpours of late!Sage is supposed to be perennial after all so I am a little disappointed but there we have it, a bit of sunshine and they'll be back to their best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes all our herbs are in a little corner of the garden near the house sheltered on one side by a fence and on the other by the conservatory, and there's a large bay tree planted in the middle for shelter, so they don't really suffer at all from the bad weather.

Awww, that's cute Animord! All my herbs are in our herb garden which is a great little sun trap but the poor little things didn't like the gale and downpours of late!Sage is supposed to be perennial after all so I am a little disappointed but there we have it, a bit of sunshine and they'll be back to their best!

I feel a bit silly to be honest, but I can't be letting their little toeses get all frozen, can I? I also give my indoor plants warm water instead of cold in case I frighten them. (I'd be frightened if I got cold water poured over me) :o

In all seriousness, I keep them in pots because I lost so many in my raised beds. and it is handier to have them right outside the back door.

Animord wrote: »
    I feel a bit silly to be honest, but I can't be letting their little toeses get all frozen, can I? I also give my indoor plants warm water instead of cold in case I frighten them. (I'd be frightened if I got cold water poured over me) :o

I do the EXACT same thing with house plants, I'd be afraid of shocking or upsetting them with icy water!

I do the EXACT same thing with house plants, I'd be afraid of shocking or upsetting them with icy water!

Yay! I was afraid of admitting than one.

In all seriousness, I keep them in pots because I lost so many in my raised beds. and it is handier to have them right outside the back door.

The only way I've saved a lot of my herbs is doing exactly what you are describing Animord....:)

The only problem is when you travel they dry out too much....:(

I think I may have saved some of them after Christmas though. The weather this week is not doing anything I have planted outside any favours. I hate my lovely herbs dying...:(

You must cease travelling immediately! poor little herbs.

Not that drying out would be much of a problem at the moment. I am more worried about them being water logged.

You must cease travelling immediately! poor little herbs.

:D

Not that drying out would be much of a problem at the moment. I am more worried about them being water logged.

The one's inside have been to the Sahara and the one's outside have been to Atlantis......:(

The one's inside have been to the Sahara and the one's outside have been to Atlantis......:(

lol - that happens alright.

Hi all!! The op here. Made the stuffing that I linked to in the op. It was very tasty if I do say so myself. I'll definitely make it again.

Thanks for all the help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement