Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog waking up my dad at night

• 27-01-2014 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, just wondering has anybody had a similar experience with their dog and what they have done to improve the situation.
    One of my dogs is Maltese/bichon friese. She's always since I got her slept in the bed with me when I'm home and she sleeps in the parents bed when I'm not at home at night.
    Whenever she sleeps in my bed she never gets up during the night to go out for her business. I usually bring her out for a bit at night before bedtime so there's never any waking up during the night.
    But when she's in my parents bed she wakes my dad up about twice and sometimes 3 times a night to go outside for a bit, sometimes she pees outside but other times she just sniffs around outside for a bit and comes back in.
    My dad being in his sixties now I'd prefer if he could get his full nights sleep.
    He doesn't mind getting up for her but obviously would prefer not to get up at all during the night.
    Is there any ideas or solutions to this problem?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

What age is your dog OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

DBB wrote: »
    What age is your dog OP?

She's just over 3

Am I to take it from your posts that your dad has been bringing her out int he middle of the night?
    If so, he has taught her to wake him up!
    If you're sure that she can last through the night, then were I him, I'd be putting her back to bed, and not going outside with her any more. It sounds like it's a habit she has got into, and it is probably going to take him a few nights to break the habit, and he may find that she becomes more insistent for a little while... if she does, you can be sure the message is getting through, it's called an extinction burst, and doesn't happen unless the dog has copped on that they're not getting their own way! It's really important to work through this, continuing to ignore her. It may mean a few sleepless nights, but it's a means to an end :)

Thanks DBB, Yes my dad would bring her out in the middle of the night and maybe at another time during the night but this is only because it seems she wants to go out. it's only my dad to whom she does this to, she'll hop out of the bed and scratch the side of the bed until he gets out, she's very persistent, but in a nice way sort of persistent :).thanks DBB

The old man is saying to me the longer he ignores her the more aggressive shell get, she's a very small dog so no injuries will occur or anything but she'll definitely up the amount of scratches on the the blanket cover the longer she's left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭tyview

This situation sounds exactly like my sisters dog who is also a bishon. Hes 9. He only does it with my dad too. I minded him in their house when they were away and not one night did he try it. I'm always giving out to him (my dad) for getting up to him because it is totally just habit for him.

The old man is saying to me the longer he ignores her the more aggressive shell get, she's a very small dog so no injuries will occur or anything but she'll definitely up the amount of scratches on the the blanket cover the longer she's left.

Oooh... she'd be heading for Time-Out-ville in my house if she did that!
    I'd suggest that your dad gets up, puts her back in her bed, and goes back to his own bed. If she gets up, he puts her back in her bed. And so on, until she realises that getting up is a waste of time. A crate could be worth its weight in gold!

tyview wrote: »
    This situation sounds exactly like my sisters dog who is also a bishon. Hes 9. He only does it with my dad too. I minded him in their house when they were away and not one night did he try it. I'm always giving out to him (my dad) for getting up to him because it is totally just habit for him.

Jeepers, ya I think persistence is the key. There's always an easy target in a house for a dog to take advantage of, now as I write this she's, if only I could describe the sound she's making, it's funny but she's doing that moaning sound as if to say how could you not feed me, your the worst person in the world kind of sound, she was well fed today so I won't give in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭tyview

Jeepers, ya I think persistence is the key. There's always an easy target in a house for a dog to take advantage of, now as I write this she's, if only I could describe the sound she's making, it's funny but she's doing that moaning sound as if to say how could you not feed me, your the worst person in the world kind of sound, she was well fed today so I won't give in.

Couldnt agree more. They will try anything/everything once and if it gets them what they want, well it will be used forever more

DBB wrote: »
    Oooh... she'd be heading for Time-Out-ville in my house if she did that!
    I'd suggest that your dad gets up, puts her back in her bed, and goes back to his own bed. If she gets up, he puts her back in her bed. And so on, until she realises that getting up is a waste of time. A crate could be worth its weight in gold!

Ok, I'll pass on the information, hopfully I'll get him to do what you say and stick at it and hopefully it won't take too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

My dogs have my husband wrapped around their paws! If he is working at home, and Im out, they will PLAGUE him - howling piteously :rolleyes: - until he takes them for a walk.
    They have been known to howl/pester him for a biscuit/treat too.
    The would NEVER behave like this to me.
    They wait for their afternoon walk when its me - not a peep/complaint!
    Hubby loves them to bits, and hes such a softie.
    Tell your dad, he has to steel his heart for a few nights!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭FlowerGarden

I have two bichons who find it hard to hold it all night if I don't bring them out last thing and make sure that they go. If they do go just before bed they never wake up but if they don't go they wake up without fail.Since its just your Dad they do it to make sure he is bringing him out last thing at night. That way he won't feel guilty about not letting him out.

Advertisement