Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Interior retrim Landrover Defender

Options
  • 27-01-2014 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have just bought a 1984 land rover defender 90 whose interior is in need of some serious TLC

The Mrs. was on board with it and in fact chose the car but didnt quite realise how agricultural it would be.

She thought more chelsea tractor than safari machine.

Does any one have any suggestions for a good company i could get to sound proof, fit parking sensors, a reversing camera, decent stereo(incl screen for the camera), some seats and do an interior retrim?

if the budget stretches i'd love to also get it resprayed

we have put aside money to do the job properly but the reserves arent endless so any help or pointers to people who dont charge like it's pimp my ride would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

pretty much any seats will fit as they basically bolt to a flat box! exmoor trim do lovely interior stuff, dynamat or wright offroad for soundproofing, be far cheaper to do it yourself. oh and head over to www.4xforum.net i'm a moderator over there so if you want to sign up i'll approve you straight away. lots of lads with defenders over there!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Bmstuff on here should be able to do your stereo and camera and sensors if you give him a shout. If the foam on the seats is in good condition then call up to nolan auto care and ask about having them retrimmed in leather .

Mudstuff.co.uk do defender bits if you want to add more storage / switches etc.. To the dash.

As above dynamat is good soundproofing. If you want to modernise the exterior a new grille and some LED tail lights may be the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

We put sound matting in our 93 defender. Worked great.

The seats as said are bolt on/off and are very easily changed if needed. Put down the sound proofing before you go replacing the upholstry. I wouldn't go re-trimming the current seats, they're so cheap that you may as well get new ones.

You can get replacement seats like this and replce the center seat beside the gearstick with a little cubby box like this

You'll be needing decent speakers in the Defender, the sound proofing isn't the best even with the mats. We'd two 100w speakers in the front and there was acceptable sound out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭hairypigeon

Guys thats great I really appreciate the help!

@serious3 i just registered on the 4x4 forum so will probably spend the evening trawling through the pages.

as for doing the work myself i'd love to give it a shot, if i do the sound proofing if wont I have to glue it, if so will that all get ripped out for the repspray?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Superdedupity

I saw a defender that had been vinyl wrapped lately, and thought it looked great and it's cheaper than the respray:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Never mind the body panels. They don't really rust (well kinda) but look after the chassis/bulkhead and outriggers. Make sure they're sound. A coating of Waxol/Rust paint helps it last.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭hairypigeon

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Never mind the body panels. They don't really rust (well kinda) but look after the chassis/bulkhead and outriggers. Make sure they're sound. A coating of Waxol/Rust paint helps it last.

chassis is a new galvanised one and the whole thing was refurbed by liveridge mechanics in the uk last year so it flew through a mechanics inspection

thankfully because of that I can focus on the aesthetics and day to day liveability/driveability

I dont really want to do vinyl warp because it can come away and tbh t's still expensive enough for a large sticker that only hides the underlying crap paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

serious3 wrote: »
    pretty much any seats will fit as they basically bolt to a flat box! exmoor trim do lovely interior stuff, dynamat or wright offroad for soundproofing, be far cheaper to do it yourself. oh and head over to www.4xforum.net i'm a moderator over there so if you want to sign up i'll approve you straight away. lots of lads with defenders over there!

I registered there yesterday, but I am still waiting for admin approval on my account. Could you approve it for me please, I have the same username as here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

I registered there yesterday, but I am still waiting for admin approval on my account. Could you approve it for me please, I have the same username as here.

done!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭gtansey44

Sorry to high jack your thread but I have bought a td5. Engine, box, chassis all in great condition but the bodywork was a magnet for abuse.

I overlooked this as mileage and 'overall condition' was good. My plan is to have the defender completely resprayed. Windows out/interior stripped respray and of course all the bumps and niggles in the bodywork taken care of.

As I want to keep this car for the long term I want to do the best job possible, starting with the paint.

Complete clean including engine bay and under carriage, any niggles I may have missed to be remedied

Wax oiling or rust preventing paint underneath

Full respray in original colour

I have a set price in mind and I would like the work to be carried out in the one location.

Thanks in advance for any help

• Advertisement
Advertisement