Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lots in Cashel

Options
  • 27-01-2014 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

I wonder if anyone could explain the history and meaning of the placenames Wallers, Ashwells and Coopers Lots around Cashel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Maebhcon

tibruit wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone could explain the history and meaning of the placenames Wallers, Ashwells and Coopers Lots around Cashel?

Lots were parcels of land given to soldiers in return for service during successful campaigns. Waller, Ashwell and Cooper would have been the names of the soldiers who were given those areas to farm or sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

My granny used to tell the story of how the Devil flew over the mountain and took a chomp out of it. Then it got too heavy and he dropped it in Cashel. (Must have been heading to cork hmm)
    Then they decided to build a monastery on it.

Advertisement