Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gas boiler repair question

• 27-01-2014 4:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭

We have a small water leak at the boiler. Been advised that the safety valve is faulty and needs replaced. I was also informed that there should be a connection from the valve brought to the outside. This will involve drilling etc. Is it absolutely necessary to have this pipe fitted? The boiler is an 'Ideal Classic' wall mounted type. Any advise appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

The reason for the safety valve is to release excess pressure that has built up in the boiler so as to protect the boiler and the heating system.
    This excess pressure usually builds up when the system is very hot. The reason for the pipe to outside is in case of a sudden release of very hot water from the boiler it has somewhere safe to go so as not to cause damage to property or injury to a person.
    The safety valve needs to be changed, this can only be done by an RGI, but what has caused the valve to let water pass also needs to be investigated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

I replaced an ideal classic last week because there was a big hole in the casing on top of the boiler from the pressure relief valve leaking on it because it wasnt piped to out side I have a pic in my phone will try post it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

anthonyos wrote: »
    I replaced an ideal classic last week because there was a big hole in the casing on top of the boiler from the pressure relief valve leaking on it because it wasnt piped to out side I have a pic in my phone will try post it

+1 Between that and the pump valves leaking I've seen a lot of them destroyed

As for the need for the pipe, apart from the safety issue , I was in an apartment in portlaoise before christmas with a ferroli combi, prv on dhw side had lifted fully when vessel went flat and mains pressure was flying out, tenant didn't know how to stop the water. Like a swimming pool in the kitchen and it wrecked the apartment below aswell . So , yes , the pipe is important!

Advertisement