Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland to ban E cigerettes for under 18s

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Happening in the uk shortly as well, step in the right direction, kids are smoking them that never smoked. That's a real problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

Whilst it seems pointless it makes sense to put down some ground work for the overall whatever the hell they are putting into force, whatever that may be.

drunkmonkey have you any proof that any single person, kids or adults, have started on these and have never smoked a day in their life or are you back with your usual trolling and hollow arguments?

drunkmonkey have you any proof that any single person, kids or adults, have started on these and have never smoked a day in their life or are you back with your usual trolling and hollow arguments?

Username is apt I'll give you that much.

Why do you think there bringing in the law brains.

They're bring it in to make it seem as if they are actually doing something productive, whilst everyone knows not to sell to people under 18 and most if not all of the sites have "not for sale to under 18's" or something very similar they still feel the need to bring in the law. Its like the blasphemy law they had a while ago, completely pointless but it makes it seem as if they are doing something to earn their pay check. And i can almost guarantee that if someone under 18 is using it they have smoked in the past.

I just dont see it being branded "cool" enough for someone under 18 to bother using it. If they're going to smoke then they wouldnt use something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭robbie02

i can see the sense in it but i hope it isnt a first step to a complete ban of them, alot of people are fearful of them, i get it all the time when i show them my device and tell them my story how they got me off the cigs. There are alot of media scaremongering going on recently in ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Username is apt I'll give you that much.

Why do you think there bringing in the law brains.

To safeguard against it possibly happening, not because they have evidence that it happens on a scale that warrants it.

I'm not against it either way, but thinking that legislation re:ecigs gets made for quantifiable reasons with scientific data backing it is laughable these days. Brains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Political posturing "Think of the children" complete waste of time tbh....young people are not taking up e-smoking in their droves if at all and a ban will only make them look edgy and cool to some which could result in a take-up....unlikely though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Happening in the uk shortly as well, step in the right direction, kids are smoking them that never smoked. That's a real problem.

Nobody is smoking anything, and there's no evidence to support this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I think this is a great idea, I was approached recently by a guy insisting that e-cigs were a great way to get into smoking without the harmful affects. He didn't check if I was 18 and had no problem approaching others that were most likely under 18.

E-cigs are still addictive and should be banned for those under 18.

Samba wrote: »
    Nobody is smoking anything, and there's no evidence to support this.

Jesus will you open your eyes the next time you pass some school kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

To be honest, I thought they were banned for under 18's already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

GarIT wrote: »
    I think this is a great idea, I was approached recently by a guy insisting that e-cigs were a great way to get into smoking without the harmful affects. He didn't check if I was 18 and had no problem approaching others that were most likely under 18.

One of the biggest problems with cigarettes is that young people are still taking them up, there is also a ban on selling cigarettes to u18s, surely they would be better taking up e-smoking instead of cigarettes?

To be honest, I thought they were banned for under 18's already.

So did I.

dePeatrick wrote: »
    One of the biggest problems with cigarettes is that young people are still taking them up, there is also a ban on selling cigarettes to u18s, surely they would be better taking up e-smoking instead of cigarettes?

You are narrowing the options down to less than there are neither is a much better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I fail to see how this is a bad idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

This helps to weaken the argument for too much regulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

I'm all for this but how can they enforce it with internet sales.

Jesus will you open your eyes the next time you pass some school kids.

Like I said, nobody smokes e-cigs.

As far as your assertions that kids who would have never smoked are picking them up are concerned, like I said, there's no evidence to suggest this. Anecdotal evidence doesn't count.

Are you trying to tell me that you personally stopped and asked each and every one how they got on to e-cigs, or why?

It's obviously a sensible law, nobody on here is going to dispute that.

Samba wrote: »
    Like I said, nobody smokes e-cigs.

The companies that sell them are trying to push them on children though. A group that have a stand in my local shopping centre are telling kids its a great way to start smoking. They usually ask if you smoke and then follow with now that there are non harmful cigarettes why dont you start.

The companies that sell them are trying to push them on children though. A group that have a stand in my local shopping centre are telling kids its a great way to start smoking. They usually ask if you smoke and then follow with now that there are non harmful cigarettes why dont you start.

Whats the Company?

• Advertisement

Whats the Company?

No idea of the name, they're at a pop up stall in Mannor Mills in Maynooth.

No idea of the name, they're at a pop up stall in Mannor Mills in Maynooth.

What you need to do then is find out who they are and then report them. No point in complaining about it online.

What you need to do then is find out who they are and then report them. No point in complaining about it online.

At the moment I don't think they are actually doing anything illegal are they?

That sounds like a bunch of shady cowboys operating a stand, not a company (I'd be surprised if they were paying tax!). There's always going to be a few bad apples in any emerging market that's unregulated.

I'd report them to the management of the shopping centre.

You'll find that all reputable e-cig companies in Ireland enforce a strict policy of over 18 only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Are nicorette products banned for underage kids too? It would be quite strange if they were legal for kids but were left out of this legislation.

At the moment I don't think they are actually doing anything illegal are they?

By offering nicotine products to under 18's no nothing illegal. By then selling e-cigarettes to under 18's at the moment no, not illegal.

Very frowned upon as it is a nicotine product though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Tbh, working in the industry, i HAVE seen kids trying to buy them. My company has an over 18 policy, but when I refuse to sell to kids, they go to another brand right next door and get them. Plenty of non smoking kids (ime) have tried to buy them. Hell, a couple of non smoking adults tried and I refused to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

That's bang on. All last year there was an e-cig stand outside of Euston Station in London with salespeople walking up to members of the public and trying to persuade them to try e-cigs.....some of them quite pushy. Thought that was pretty disgraceful tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

I'm 16 and I use E-Cigs to help me cut down, I have never seen or heard of anyone under 18 who doesn't smoke using them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Anyone who sells e-cigs to under 18's is a scumbag. There is not a vaper that I know of that would think other wise and would not be wholly supportive of this law. I have heard of a couple of under 18's using e-cigs but they had been smokers since their very early teens and wanted to either cut down or quit, do I agree with them using e-cigs, no of course I don't but I also don't agree with them using smokes, they shouldn't be able to access either.

Advertisement