Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gravel garden

• 27-01-2014 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hi,

Don't really know if this is the most appropriate place for this question, but anyway...

I have a simple back garden, approximately 35m2, and at the moment it just has grass, but it's crap grass and it's half dead, not to mention the yard has very poor drainage. I was looking to get it replaced with simple gravel.

So, I was wondering if anyone in Dublin could suggest a cheap handyman, or even landscaper that could do the job? I've been quoted 620 already, but I'd like to get a couple more quotes before I commit, as I have no idea if that's a good price or not!

Thanks in advance!
    Jonathan

Here's the garden, in case it helps:
    IMG_20140127_150604.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Jonathan

I would advise you to include resolving your drainage problem as part of any plans to change the garden.

Is there access to the garden? Apart from removing grass layer, does the price quoted include groundworks, ie excavating (minimum 200mm) and building up levels? If not then it doe seem high.

You will also require a permeable weed barrier to be fitted otherwise it is a very straightforward task.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Jonathanpbk

I would assume that price is for everything as the builder who gave me the quote is very decent and has just done a lot of work in my sisters house to a very high standard.

As far as the drainage issue goes, it's not really terribly bad, it just means that the ground stays a little more soggy than usual for a little longer. Not talking about a pond every time it rains. I would assume a layer of hardcore between the soil and gravel would help there. No?

There is some access from a lane at the back, through the structure at the back of the garden. Enough for barrow-loads of stone, but not for tonne bags to get put straight into the garden. Unless the delivery driver has a lift that could go over the office (unlikely, i'd imagine)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agree you should make sure the drainage is ok, and suggest also that you ensure that either the membrane is very good quality or you have hardcore down. I have hardcore in the front and membrane in the back (except the membrane is not best quality, just the stuff they sell in diy shops) and the hard core is better at keeping down the weeds. You will get a few weeds as they find little pockets of things like leaf-mold and grow in that, they are easy to pull out though.

Also suggest you get smallish gravel, (I have pea gravel and it is fine, others around have the big stone chips and they don't look so good after a while) and put in some stepping stones/path. I am very pleased with the job(s) I had done, the small bit of lawn is looking shaggy and unkempt after the winter, the pebbles look fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Jonathanpbk

Yeah, I have asked him to send me an itemised quote so I can see what's included. I'll discuss the drainage issue as well, but I'm honestly trying to get this done as cheaply as possible, so if it's not a serious issue, I'm probably not going to pay the extra. Maybe i'll regret it, who knows! :/

As far as decoration is concerned, I'm going to keep the stepping stones I have, and I'll probably add to it as time goes on, but as i said, for now, I'm going to keep it as cheap as possible!

How long have you had yours done? Have you needed to make any repairs to it or anything like that? Also, how much did it set you back? if you don't mind me asking of course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm not being evasive, but both jobs were part of larger jobs so I cannot say how much it cost. Have not had to make any repairs, but I would use better membrane if I were doing the back again. Even so its not a major issue. I used the common small pebbles (can't remember what they are called) which is way the cheapest way of doing it. I found a supplier with a delivery of brownish pebbles which were more attractive than the grey ones.

I think you would certainly have to have some of the soil removed, looking at the level of the door step. You could consider having a raised bed down one side of the garden and use the soil to fill it, removal costs can be the one of the more expensive parts of the job. You will almost certainly find that after 12 months you will need to put another layer of pebbles on it as they settle, but after that you are finished. You will have to work out how to keep the stepping stones in place so they do not go under the pebbles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 lavin.ie

To make the garden usable, I would advise using Niadagravel, it is a membrane that suppresses weeds and gives a solid surface to walk on.
    You will need to have the surface under the membrane dead level, you could use paving grit, but hardcore would be better. I would suggest laying mypex then the Nidagravel on top. Use Ballylusk 5mm which leaves a nice finish. Your garden would need about 1.5 -2 tonnes of chippings. (The chipping hold the membrane in place)
    The advantages are, a good surface to walk on, easy to install and free draining.

Nidagravel, it costs €14.00 per square meter wholesale for the membrane, stone would be about €180.00 or so. http://www.nidagravel.eu/IEEN/site/index.aspx

Regards lavin.ie

Advertisement