Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding work in toronto

Options
  • 27-01-2014 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CBCB2

This post has been deleted.

Try looking online at:
    www.eluta.ca
    www.monster.ca
    www.workopolis.com

Or if you're looking for a government job try:
    http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Search.aspx?Language=English

I moved here in June last year. I'm in the Niagara Region so not in the city but here's my experience anyway... I had been looking online and applying before I left. To be honest I didn't get many job calls when I got here despite applying for many. I'm currently working in the government and I found the job on the government website.

I am trying for another job at the minute. I found the same with recruitment agents you go to them and they promise you the world and then radio silence. You have to keep on top of them but even then they can be hard to pin down.

Another thing I would do is look around for companies you think you might like to work for and look them up online. They may have jobs on their websites. I know posting on the main jobsites can be expensive so some companies just post on their own.

Sorry I can't be any more help. Best of luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 deccdn

I would recommend using an Employment Ontario service provider. Toronto would have many options. They are a free service, and will assist with resume writing, interview skills etc... They are not a temp agency and do not guarantee employment, but they can be a huge help and will assist with job search etc.... I'm an Employment Counsellor in Ontario for an agency funded through Employment Ontario. Toronto would also have more resources for newcomers... my area does not have as many since we're small.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! Good luck and welcome to Canada! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭celt2005

Dec,

Maybe you can help me.

I am looking to emigrate to Canada, but am not eligible for the IEC (am over 35).

Do you know, or can you point me in the right direction.

1. I was informed at a jobs fair, the best route for me was to get an employer to sponsor me into Canada. From successful interview to commencement of post would take six months, as Canadian government query whether employer could hire Canadian Citizen instead.

From this point, after 18 months you become a Canadian citizen with the option of gaining passport at later date.

Am I correct in this assumption?

I work in IT, do you know is it normal for employers to hire employees from foreign countries ... I.E. is there a skills shortage for IT staff in Toronto?

Thanks in advance Dec

Hi Celt,

As far as I know, the 18 month time frame is incorrect. I have had clients waiting years to finally become a permanent resident, let alone a citizen. I just saw on the news last night that the government is looking into changing immigration policies as well, including a clause that would require someone to be in the country for 6 years before being eligible to become a citizen. Along with being fluent in one of the official languages (English or French), have knowledge about the country, and no criminal record.

As for the employer sponsorship, I believe you would need an employer to sponsor you, if you weren't eligible for a working visa. I think this will be difficult as the employer would basically become responsible for you while you were in Canada, and yes, they would need to attempt to fill it with a Canadian citizen or someone authorized to work in Canada. If you work for a company that has offices in Canada, then it may be easier to come here.

It's definitely not an easy process, and I've had clients who are married to Canadians that experience lengthy wait times while their applications are being processed and issues regarding securing work when they do come here.

If you are really interested in coming, start job searching in your field, get an idea of companies and what their requirements are.

Hope that helps!

Dec,

Appreciate your response. My apologies, I meant 18 months to get permanent visa, allowing you to work freely.

Would be grateful if you had answers for other questions.

1. What are costs to employers for sponsoring employees in?

2. What is a more realistic timeframe to get permanent visa .I.E , when can you leave employer, and have freedom to get other employment?

3. What is a realistic timeframe between employer giving you job, and getting the OK from Canadian government to work?

• Advertisement

Sorry for the delay Celt,

I'm not exactly sure of time frames and costs involved for employers re: sponsorship. Try this link as it may provide more insight.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/hire/

That should give you some more concrete answers. If you're in a field where Canada has a shortage, and the fact that you speak english will be an advantage. The shortages of skilled workers will also vary depending on where in Canada you'd want to be. Prairie and Western provinces are booming (Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta) for construction and oil sands. There is a bit of a boom in Newfoundland as well. The far north (Yukon, North West Territories and Nunavut) always seems to be in need of skilled workers. Those provinces actually give tax breaks to Canadians who are willing to move to those provinces to work. It's damn cold, and very, very remote though, so it's not for everyone.

Good luck!

Thanks Dec,

Work in IT, and am looking to go to Toronto .... will keep you in touch.

Advertisement