Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding houseplants

• 27-01-2014 5:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Does anyone know a good place in or near Dublin with a good range of houseplants for sale.
    I am on the lookout for Araucaria Excelsa (Its a large conifer-ish looking pot plant) also called the Norfolk Island Pine
    and also for a bit of Tolmeia
    The latter is never offered for sale because everyone just gives each other scraps, off the plantlets that form on the upper side of the leaves, -- hence its common name of "piggyback plant"
    But none of my friends has one right now!

All suggestions gratefully received

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm pretty sure you can get Norfolk Island Pine in Johnstown garden centre: johnstowngardencentre.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There's a blast from the past, I haven't seen a piggyback plant in years, used to be all the rage, those and the ones with fleshy leaves that grew little plantlets all round the edges of the leaves, can't remember what they were called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

looksee wrote: »
    and the ones with fleshy leaves that grew little plantlets all round the edges of the leaves, can't remember what they were called.

Bryophyllium daigremontianum
    Aka mexican hat plant, , mother of thousands , by chance!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Thanks for the contributions folks

@looksee, that's the one! But it is also known popularly as "Devil's Backbone" while the nickname "Mother of thousands" is given to several other plants: principally Saxifraga Sarmentosa, that one with the plantlets dangling on tiny threads like baby spiders

NB If anybody has one of those, I'd love a couple of those babies, too! The tricolor form is charming and the plant is really pretty and useful as an easy trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 findersteve

They have it on their online gardenstore for €59.95
    http://www.dyg.ie/garden-blog?page=1

• Advertisement
Advertisement