Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girl's secondary school Sligo

Options
  • 27-01-2014 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

My daughter is in 6th class in Primary School and now we have to choose a secondary school. Was wondering which is the better school Mercy or Ursuline?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Best thing is to go and check them out for yourself. Keep in mind the type of subjects your daughter wants to study and see how the school has them broken up into groups ie. science may be taught at the same time as french so it may be difficult to both at school.

Ask about the policies regarding bullying, sickness, what's available within the school to eat, any projects alongside of other schools, sports available, extra-curricular activities on site. What resources are available in school and how modern are they?

Both schools do open days for prospective students which I suggest both you and your daughter attend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Both very good schools. It all depends which would best suit your daughter.

The open days for prospective students and parents will give both you and your daughter a good feel as to what to expect, atmosphere, ethos, etc.
    Your daughter will probably be able to tell you which one she prefers after a visit. So keep your powder dry.

The only 2 observations that I would offer is that the Mercy is a lot smaller class size, so that might suit some better than others and that the Ursuline is very big on sport.

But from a general point of view, they are both very good schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

The Ursuline is known as the best girls school in Sligo.

mewe wrote: »
    The Ursuline is known as the best girls school in Sligo.

So this is what AH's refer to as "Popcorn time"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Kettleson wrote: »
    So this is what AH's refer to as "Popcorn time"?

Do you think that's controversial or something?

It's better academically and would have lots of extra curricular opportunities.

mewe wrote: »
    Do you think that's controversial or something?

It's better academically and would have lots of extra curricular opportunities.

I was anticipating that many will take exception to your comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Take into account which is most convenient to get to and from as well. Seems petty but it's worth considering as an aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Katebourke1

Well she's 12 going on 30 and has loads of friends both inside and outside school. She's also big into extra curricular stuff. I guess my personal preference would drift towards the Ursuline but Mercy are hosting a taster day tomorrow , I feel this will push her that way...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sligeachgirl

Well she's 12 going on 30 and has loads of friends both inside and outside school. She's also big into extra curricular stuff. I guess my personal preference would drift towards the Ursuline but Mercy are hosting a taster day tomorrow , I feel this will push her that way...

Was just wondering how you got on at the open days. I have a daughter in 5th class at the moment and will have this decision to make next year. Any information would be great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement