Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Marley Park like as a venue

Options
  • 27-01-2014 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi all,

Unfortunately I was unable to go to EP last year and missed the Arctic Monkeys so would love to see them at Marley Park later this year.

While I can't imaging them drawing too much of a scummer crowd, I was wondering what the venue is like in general?

All feedback greatly appreciated!

Paul

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It's a field and it's a pain in the arse to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭generalmental

paulie13 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Unfortunately I was unable to go to EP last year and missed the Arctic Monkeys so would love to see them at Marley Park later this year.

While I can't imaging them drawing too much of a scummer crowd, I was wondering what the venue is like in general?

Paul

Hi I can only comment on the one gig I went to and that was fatboy slim I think 3 years back.

The gig itself was ok I wasn't too impressed with the sound but the bad thing for me was when we had to leave. Only one exit and it was a bottle neck. Not a a good experience but that could have changed by now

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

It's a grand field with no major sound issues. The Longitude setup in Marlay was nice last year with the full field not used, but I'd imagine the stage would be further back and the full field used for Arcade Fire and Arctic Monkeys.

Only issue of Marlay Park for me is the transport issues. It's not a great area for taxis or buses at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Been there a few times and it is a really poorly organised venue. A gang of us queued out early for Green Day back in 2010. They had us queuing in a random spot in a random grass patch. When it came to letting us in they let everyone go at once and basically resulted in a stampede of sorts through narrow pathways. Beyond idiotic.

The venue itself sound wise is hit and miss. Saw Metallica in 2008 and 2009 there. In 2008 I was at the sound desk and the sound did not travel well, but I could see everything. But in 2009 I was in the front/ 2nd row for the gig and it was unreal.

So I'd recommend turning up early enough to get a good spot as sound doesn't travel well, but be prepared for terrible organisation typical of all Irish gigs!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭colmufc

paulie13 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Paul

I'm surprised with all the negative feedback Marley gets cause it's a great venue , dublin bus runs a great service to it and if your driving it's just off the M50 I've never had bad sound at tye venue and I've been to at least 10 shows there over the last 10 years and the only time it's not been great was the first time but they have it sorted now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

They always do a pit area at marlay Park don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

No, not always. There wasn't one at The Who/Biffy Clyro and they could have done with one.
    More sedate fare like Peter Gabriel didn't have a pit either.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Saw Muse there in 2008 and really enjoyed it as a venue.

Pain in the hole to get out of mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

I love Arctic Monkeys and Arcade fire, but I'm giving these gigs a miss because of the venue.

My mind was made up at AC/DC @ Punchestown. 80,000 fans treated like animals.

Outdoor gigs in Ireland are shambolic.

Malahide Castle was the exception, but it's been overlooked in favour of Marley Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

poundhound wrote: »
    Outdoor gigs in Ireland are shambolic.

This X 1 billion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I thought the set up for Longitude was fairly well organised but they could've done with more space. In fairness, nobody could've predicted the great weather until a few days before and by then the site layout plan was probably set in stone. Getting out is a slight PITA with the long walk you have to go on after standing most of the day but that's all part of the festival experience.

Advertisement