Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin/Limerick daily commute ?

Options
  • 27-01-2014 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi,

As the title says.
    I'm interested in a degree course which is only available in UL.
    I would be going back as a mature student. Due to home/family commitments, I would need to go back to Dublin every day.
    Has anybody ever tried to commute there on a daily basis from Dublin ?
    There are several options available. Bus services both public/private and Train services.
    Any thoughts or is it just too hard a commute ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I know someone who tried to commute from Galway to Limerick every day for a one years masters (which is a considerably shorter journey than Dublin to Limerick). He lasted about 3 weeks before he found a place to rent near UL. More importantly, he was driving by car, if you were to rely on public transport that makes it even more difficult.

Realistically, in my opinion it would not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

You would be putting too much pressure on yourself. Its not feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Stuxnet wrote: »

Seconded. Even if you took car out of it (which would cost about 3-400 a week depending on car, and not even mentioning wear and tear etc), and looked at public transport, you're looking at leaving on the earliest train, getting a bus to UL, then bus back to station, another train ride.

Honestly, with family commitments, I understand, but really, 5 days renting and travelling up on a Friday and back down on Sunday evening would be much better. You'd spend less, you would be able to get more course work done, and you wouldn't be a cranky feicer over the weekend!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

The m7 express would mean 5 hours a day(at least) travelling for €100 a week..
    Thats an awful lot of both time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

And for 100 a week or 400 a month that you could spend on the M7 express you would be able to get a fairly decent House Share.

The M7 goes from city center or Red Cow directly to UL and only stops in Kildare Village on the way down. Question is then how much longer would you need to spend travelling to get to the bus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Beargrylls01

I know quite a few people who travel from the far side of limerick to dublin everyday for work by train, if you are determined enough, have simply no other choice, and don't make excuses for not pushing yourself, then you can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ZomB13 F1Sh

With all the time you'll spend travelling, doing your required outside the classroom work may prove to be very difficult I'd imagine. I'd honestly think this would be near impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭emmbaasee

Stuxnet wrote: »
    I agree.:(

Having considered my options and thought about what people have said here. I have come to the conclusion that it would be too stressfull to do.There are just not enough hours in the week to fit it all in.

Thanks for all the replies.
    It's a shame as UL looked like a great place to study.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Its not a realistic option.
    You would be spending 6 hours each day traveling, so say you had to be in for 9am and last lecture until 6, you would be away from home from 6am to 9pm.
    From a financial point of view, it wont work out for you either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

To go against the trend here; I know a few people who only have 2 or 3 days for their masters course, so commuting is possible, just you would not be enjoying university and I personally think your motivation would decrease as time goes on.

Also just doing some rough maths on a daily commute; getting up at 6am for a 9am lecture and finishing at 6pm at being at home for 9pm. If you need 8 hours of sleep everyday, you would be looking at spending 1 hour with your home/family commitments (also assuming you do all of your coursework on the travel home or weekends).

We need more information about what course you are thinking of doing before we can say. Contacting lecturers beforehand can make a huge difference. They might be able to tell you in advance or give you slides so you don't have to do a 3 hour trip for a 1 hour lecture or allow you to do multiple labs/tutorials at once.

• Advertisement
Advertisement