Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comparision Kerosine Heating versus Electric Heating

Options
  • 27-01-2014 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

Because my kerosine boiler is due for renewal I consider switching to electric heating. My idea is that electricity powering my underfloor heating system (30ºC - 60ºC) is more suitable than a kerosine boiler system (60C - 90ºC).

According to the consumption of kerosine the last five years the usage for underfloor heating is 3.64 ltrs per 8 hours or 35.54 kWh. Costs for 8 hours use of kerosine = 3.64 @ €1 = €3.64
    Electric Ireland Night saver would scharge 35.54 x €0.1019 = €3.62
    So the difference is not that much but I like to achieve something for the lower temperature of the water the underfloor system needs.

Suppose I use 305 days heating per year, which is 35.54 x 305 = 10,840kWh.

The underfloor system takes 50ºC at its maximum out of the storage from the kerosine boiler which is at its lowest round 70ºC. When the electric boiler is installed I can adjust the thermostat to 50ºC.

Now the difference in standing charges between my existing day meter and the night saver meter.

DomesticTariff (Rural):
    Standing Charge: €0.51/day or €186.15/year
    PSIO levy: €4.05/month or €48.60
    Unit price:  €0.1931

Nicht Saver (Rural):
    Standing Charge NightSaver Rural €0.6648/day or €242.65/year
    PSIO levy: €4.05/month or €48.60 
    Unit price Day €0.2062
    Unit price Night €0.1019

Apart from the usage, the difference in Standing Charges is: €242.65 - €186.15 = €56.50/year. In unit price it is: €0.0131 x total usage: 10,840kWh (See above) = €142 Total €198.50

I like to know if my calculations are correct for my decision to proceed with the adjustment.

Thanks, Marbert.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Marbert,

Our rates, including VAT, are outlined on our price-plans page. See under "Standard electricity" (at the end of the page). There is also the option of having a 10% discount off units used, for having direct debit/online billing (see under "Electricity plans").

The day-night meter will save the customer money if they concentrate the majority of their usage between the NightSaver hours, which are 11pm to 8am in the winter, and midnight to 9am after the clocks go forward.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Marbert

Hi Marbert,

Our rates, including VAT, are outlined on our price-plans page. See under "Standard electricity" (at the end of the page). There is also the option of having a 10% discount off units used, for having direct debit/online billing (see under "Electricity plans").

The day-night meter will save the customer money if they concentrate the majority of their usage between the NightSaver hours, which are 11pm to 8am in the winter, and midnight to 9am after the clocks go forward.

Regards,
    Una
    Hi Una,

Thanks for your reply, but I know all of this already. 

What I like is your opinion as a qualified "Electric" person if my strategie is all right. Are all my parameters and is my assumption about changing to electric for heating in the right order. That's what I like to know from you as a form of advice.

I can assure you that I will never blaim you if the results after moving to electricity are not right.

Regards,Marbert.

Hi Marbert,

We would need to consult with one of our energy experts - so we are passing your query to them, and we will update you ASAP.

Regards,
    Una

Hi Marbert,

The Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland publishes a monthly fuel comparison chart. Here is the most recent one.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Marbert

Hi Marbert,

The Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland publishes a monthly fuel comparison chart. Here is the most recent one.

Regards,
    Una
    Thanks Una, this keeps me going for some time. Regards,Marbert.

• Advertisement

You're very welcome Marbert.

This week we also introduced our new price-plans, offering new customerse up to 15% off electricity. Details here on our website.

Kind regards,
    Una

Advertisement