Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unemployed :(

Options
  • 27-01-2014 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Sorry just venting here I was let go 6 weeks ago decrease in demand or something , been working in a factory for 2 years and I have no idea what to do next ,another factory job? which i did an interview for but i have heard nothing since thats 2 weeks now, take a stab at a completely different job?,do a work placement (work for nothing), get a job with my business degree which i never used its 4 going on 5 years now cant remember a thing from it, a IT course I looked on springboard but you need to wait and do interviews i think ,was looking at a IT course online but there expensive nd kind of dodgy or go out foreign but id **** meself at even moving to dublin haha,or a fas course , jus really afraid il bollock around on the farm again which is going to my brother anyway , im 28 hitting 30 soon i suffer from social anxiety which is worse with no routine ,just have no idea what road to go, i live on my own so socially wise its not good either, its getting bad cus my friends are all busy with work,being abroad and kids,also i always wanted to travel but i dont think i have the nerves to go but time seems to be ticking ,any body have advice please ,sorry for spelling and the rambling just wired today :)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Would you not go back and do a 1 year Masters as a continuation on you Business Degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dennynua

I did consider it but it was 10,000 euro to do at the time and also i barely scraped a 2:1 so i thought i wouldn't be able for it and I have been out of the studying thing for so long now I don't know if i could go straight into a masters now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Frack

Hey there

I'm 29 and was in a similar situation last year, I went and did some volunteering in Portugal - I lived on 300e a month all in while surfing and getting my head together. The work was enjoyable, I just built stuff and maintained a campsite. Check out helpx.net, lots of cool stuff to do out there!

Sorry… to finish, I came out better the other end, made a few contacts and got a bit of perspective on my life - Ireland is tough going at the moment and it was nice to step away for a while...

Frack wrote: »
    Hey there

I'm 29 and was in a similar situation last year, I went and did some volunteering in Portugal - I lived on 300e a month all in while surfing and getting my head together. The work was enjoyable, I just built stuff and maintained a campsite. Check out helpx.net, lots of cool stuff to do out there!

sounds cool i always wanted to travel but have social anxiety trying to get rid of it though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Melanoma

dennynua wrote: »
    I did consider it but it was 10,000 euro to do at the time and also i barely scraped a 2:1 so i thought i wouldn't be able for it and I have been out of the studying thing for so long now I don't know if i could go straight into a masters now ?

I graduated in 1995 and worked until 1998. I started a master with a 2.2 though very close to a 2.1 in a very hard level 8 degree. I only got a pass level in the exams.

You needed to program and I did not know before I did it how to.

One idea for computers is just to download software like java and this takes some work to do and then get a online programming book. There are tons of resources online and free too though you have to search a bit.

Computers/IT is doing well.

Using your business degree might be a good idea though with 5 years break it would be hard. Volunteering to work for charity might mean your not allowed the dole not sure.

I'd say you might have wasted time in a factory job but then again you learned stuff doing it also.

Just remember that the job, partner, etc are external things that make little difference to your happiness. Money is required but its also a burden.

Maybe consider also looking up some quotes from Buddhist teaching to help centre your focus on being at peace within yourself.

Then also try to keep up some training. Your young not very young like 18 but you've years in which to meet someone. Though sooner is always better what you bring to that will be experience and many other things.

Intentionality, focus, direction and being sure of yourself dont come to many 20 somethings or for that matter 30 somethings.

Many married people are struggling in ways that are much harder.

So what am I saying the job thing sure I'd advise ditching this country for where you can do more. Social anxiety is a tricky one an being abroad your more likely to be lonley even if there are lots of other young irish with you.

You'd miss familly and home. You'd manage though and with a business degree you could do quite well.

You could travel to korea and teach English as a foreign language though be weary to get the right pay package.

In any case I'm sorry I know what being laid off is like you go to watch the money and its an awful time of year to be out of work. I worried so muh about money before, now yea I'm a numbers guy but I'm far more concerned with trying to be a better person and to live with love in my heart regardless. Its the only way to be happy that regardless if I have nothing, no money no other stuff I have the ability to be happy because I am free to love in the way I want to. To be confident to walk tall because being grounded in truth you can never be wrong.

Good luck,

p.

sounds cool i always wanted to travel but have social anxiety trying to get rid of it though

Sorry, that must be really tough. I have a touch of anxiety but nothing too serious, I came across this website www.social-anxiety-community.org and they have members who have found volunteering very beneficial, good luck with everything

I'm interested in getting a job in IT but it is so broad from web design to software programming what is the best area to get into?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Melanoma

Maybe try http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/develop.xml as a page to look up java stuff.

There are threads on Boards.ie more dedicated to your question on IT already so look them up and you might get an idea. I'm an engineer not a business head so might steer you wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭galwayhillbilly

Sorry to hear about your job loss and your anxiety, I came through a lot of this in 1995 still have a certain amount of social anxiety but not as bad. I did a FAS course after graduating that got me into another FAS course which got me a six week work placement in a Mediterranean country:) It didn't cure my social anxiety but I got a nice tan and a lot of sideways glances from females when I came back. like you I would have been very anxious about travelling, but as this was structured and part of a course and I had time to get to know the other people on the course before hand it made it much easier. The biggest thing for me though was staying involved as a volunteer, I had someplace to go once or twice a week, It gave me a reason to keep in touch with friends,(I wouldn't have been confident enough to ring them up and ask them to go for a pint or call to their house) It gave me a sense of confidence and achievement climbing the ladder in the organisation and gave me a talking point on my cv and several well respected people to get references off.

If you are into IT the most obvious thing is to take advantage of the free courses that are going now, if there is a time lag try and do something else like a FAS course in the interim. The FAS course will get you back into the learning frame of mind and for someone with a degree unless you take on a course that is very technical you will not find the subject matter overly challenging, this again will improve your confidence, with social anxiety it is very important that you have something that gets you out and gets structure into your life. If you want to volunteer just get a form from social welfare that you fill out with the organisation you are volunteering for, as long as it doesn't stop you from applying for jobs and attending interviews, you are sound.

When you have taken 1 or 2 baby steps then you might want to look at getting some specific help with the social anxiety, the good thing about being unemployed is that there is a lot of free or low cost help out there. You could go to your local Family Resource Centre they usually have a free or low cost counselling service attached to them.
    Everyone's solution is different but I think the big thing is to keep yourself out there in some format or other even if it is only an indoor soccer match once a week a game of cards on a Friday night.
    You also asked a question about masters degree, there are many masters degrees out there that don't require 2.1 or1.1 depends on the area maybe you do a grad dip in something first to qualify.

I am looking at some of the courses on offer out there and I cant afford to go on them as I would have to pay for it. if I was made redundant in the morning I'd go straight into the bank and see if I could negotiate my finances for a year or 2 and get myself on a free course.

These things can be looked at as opportunities

Those are my ideas anyway hope they help

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear about your job loss and your anxiety, I came through a lot of this in 1995 still have a certain amount of social anxiety but not as bad. I did a FAS course after graduating that got me into another FAS course which got me a six week work placement in a Mediterranean country:) It didn't cure my social anxiety but I got a nice tan and a lot of sideways glances from females when I came back. like you I would have been very anxious about travelling, but as this was structured and part of a course and I had time to get to know the other people on the course before hand it made it much easier. The biggest thing for me though was staying involved as a volunteer, I had someplace to go once or twice a week, It gave me a reason to keep in touch with friends,(I wouldn't have been confident enough to ring them up and ask them to go for a pint or call to their house) It gave me a sense of confidence and achievement climbing the ladder in the organisation and gave me a talking point on my cv and several well respected people to get references off.

If you are into IT the most obvious thing is to take advantage of the free courses that are going now, if there is a time lag try and do something else like a FAS course in the interim. The FAS course will get you back into the learning frame of mind and for someone with a degree unless you take on a course that is very technical you will not find the subject matter overly challenging, this again will improve your confidence, with social anxiety it is very important that you have something that gets you out and gets structure into your life. If you want to volunteer just get a form from social welfare that you fill out with the organisation you are volunteering for, as long as it doesn't stop you from applying for jobs and attending interviews, you are sound.

When you have taken 1 or 2 baby steps then you might want to look at getting some specific help with the social anxiety, the good thing about being unemployed is that there is a lot of free or low cost help out there. You could go to your local Family Resource Centre they usually have a free or low cost counselling service attached to them.
    Everyone's solution is different but I think the big thing is to keep yourself out there in some format or other even if it is only an indoor soccer match once a week a game of cards on a Friday night.
    You also asked a question about masters degree, there are many masters degrees out there that don't require 2.1 or1.1 depends on the area maybe you do a grad dip in something first to qualify.

I am looking at some of the courses on offer out there and I cant afford to go on them as I would have to pay for it. if I was made redundant in the morning I'd go straight into the bank and see if I could negotiate my finances for a year or 2 and get myself on a free course.

These things can be looked at as opportunities

Those are my ideas anyway hope they help

how would you go about going out foreign on a fas course ?? , i'm looking at a springboard course and things like that and my brains fried i really just have to take a stab at something because i really dont know what to do now i cant make up my mind ,any ideas on what to volunteer for preferable with people my age 28 or is it with companies you mean ? , or what area did you go into just to get ideas

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 detective monkfish

how would you go about going out foreign on a fas course ?? , i'm looking at a springboard course and things like that and my brains fried i really just have to take a stab at something because i really dont know what to do now i cant make up my mind ,any ideas on what to volunteer for preferable with people my age 28 or is it with companies you mean ? , or what area did you go into just to get ideas

Foreign fas course?

Foreign fas course?

no i think you do the fas course in Ireland and do the work placement out foreign is that right ?, I have done a fas course before and all the guys didnt even leave the town to get jobs haha

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭galwayhillbilly

Mine was work experience on the course, just depends on the course really you would need to look them up to find out which ones have a foreign work experience element, usually courses involving second European languages and ones that are eu funded

does anybody have a job in the area of business systems analyisis what is it like ?

Advertisement