Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robust laptop for heavy-handed oap

Options
  • 27-01-2014 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I'm looking to buy a new laptop for my Dad for his 70th. He tends to be a bit hard on things so I'm looking for something physically sturdy. Which brands / ranges should I explore? Any ideas what to avoid also? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,451 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Have you considered a desktop? If he's a heavy hitter on the keyboard, a desktop keyboard would a lot cheaper to replace than a laptop!

Otherwise the premium models like Lenovo 'T' series (the old IBM Thinkpad) would be a good (if expensive) bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Or a wireless KB and mouse might be an idea

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

I would suggest a Solid State Drive too.

Moving parts in a regular hard drive can cause problems if it gets rough treatment.

What is your budget.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

Lenovo has crap keyboards very weak

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I would suggest a wireless keyboard and mouse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Cicilulu

Thanks for your replies. He already has a desktop but he looks at my mam's laptop with envious eyes. He tends to be heavy handed and repeatedly pushes keys if there is a delay processing. He'll only use it for photographs, browsing and streaming movies and music. He won't be using any big hungry applications so I don't think it needs to be high spec. Around €400 -500 is our budget. Something with a chunkier keyboard would suit him. He uses a smartphone so he's not THAT bad. I just want to avoid getting something flimsy.

Advertisement