Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reed trouble - again! Advice please

Options
  • 27-01-2014 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

I have a ewe who has just slightly put out her reed - about the size of fist or smaller.

I didn't see her pushing and there is no sign of water bag - I examined her and could only get four fingers in so she hasn't opened up.

My question is what should I do?

- Leave her and keep An eye on her!

- call the vet!

Any suggestions please

Thanks DK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Push it back in and put a prolapse harness on her, if you don't have a harness tie twine onto the wool on her hips and tie it across her butt , if it's out a small bit she'll start pushing again when she lies down , how near is she to lambing

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

I'd say fairly near as she has a milk....

I don't have a prolapse harness

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

DK man wrote: »
    I'd say fairly near as she has a milk....

I don't have a prolapse harness

Thanks

Do as tabby suggested - grab two handfuls of wool on each of her side, at her hips, tie twine onto them. Join the twine across behind her. If you wanted to, you could put two more piece of twine to make a kinda square around the prolapse to hold it in.

Or google homemade prolapse harness, I made one out of baler twine before which do the job ok (but a proper harness would be much beter am sure)

EDIT : if you do the above, you will need to watch her for lambing, as you will need to cut the twine when she is.

She's sprung - and very restless so I think there will be drama tonight!

I've managed to keep the wolf I mean vet from the door until now so here's hoping - but my limited experience of farming thus far have thought me to never count my chickens

Whose the patron saint of sheep! And I put a tenner in his/ her box if we can pull this one off : out

I'll keep u posted

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Wooly Admirer

I make up the homemade harness here and find it works very well. However I use rope - even with rope I find it can sometimes cut into/irritate the ewe, where the harness goes down between her legs. The lenght of time the harness is on the ewe will affect this also obviously. I would imagine twine would cut her pretty bad.

I would recommend anyone in the sheep game to get their hands on 'the veterinary book for sheep farmers' - http://www.easons.com/p-804554-the-veterinary-book-for-sheep-farmers.aspx#sthash.k0MZChf2.dpbs

It won't make you a vet, but its a great book and gives alot of great advice. Shows you how to make up the homemade harness also. Theres some amount of information packed into it.

• Advertisement

Great result! 2 lambs born this afternoon. Reed went back down by itself. I'm glad I isolated the remaining sheep and measured their feed as lambs weren't too big. First came out herself and second got a pull - I'm not sure if she would have managed without a pull as when I arrived I spotted a head and decided not to take any chances of allowing her a natural birth.....

Would u cull her when she has lambs rated or chance her for another year?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

cull her and her spawn..
    notch her ears so she does not escape by losing her tags or spray mark.

vet book(henderson)recommended above should be essential for anyone with sheep good no nonsense and practical,henderson actually worked as a shepherd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    cull her and her spawn..
    notch her ears so she does not escape by losing her tags or spray mark.

vet book(henderson)recommended above should be essential for anyone with sheep good no nonsense and practical,henderson actually worked as a shepherd.

+1

Nice pair of lambs. Pity as she is a nice looking ewe, but it's easier to be rid of her (having said that, some culls of mine got in young again this year, and one of them had prolapsed last year. But she will be getting the road thus year for definite)

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

Nice sized lambs. Cull her. Sentimentality will bite you on the ass.

Advertisement