Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing coins at Bank of Ireland branch

• 27-01-2014 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

The most ridiculous decision by Bank of Ireland must be to NOT allow the changing of bagged coins for notes as I found out today! Apparently you can only exchange coin for notes on Tuesday morning and on Friday

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Paula C

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]Hi Limclare,[/font]

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]Thank you for contacting us through Boards.[/font]

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]We are sorry to hear you are unhappy with our coin lodgement policy.[/font]

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]All of our branches now accept coin lodgements on Tuesdays from 10am until noon and all day Friday. The coin needs to be fully bagged and in the correct denominations.[/font]

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]As always we appreciate our customer’s feedback and will ensure to pass this on to our Branch Network for review.[/font]

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]Thanks,[/font]

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]Paula C[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 1 murphy_pul

Hi Paula C,

Why can a BANK not accept coin lodgements? Why did i have to break on a fifty euro note simply to lodge 152 euros into someone account? You have not answered why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

Hi murphy_pul,

Thank you for your post.

We are sorry to hear you are unhappy with the coin lodgements policy.

We do accept coin lodgements; however this service is available on Tuesdays from 10am until noon and all day Friday.

Regrettably, we are unable to discuss policy changes on a public forum.

As Paula mentioned previously we will certainly pass on your concerns and suggestions in relation to this branch policy and we thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback here on Boards. 

Thanks

Nicola

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dclaw

Just found out about this coin POLICY change after waiting in a queue for 15 mins. If you won't discuss policy can you discuss what you see the role of the bank as and why a very limited coin exchange is part of that role? Whatever the reason it's hugely annoying.

There's a link for changing banks whenever the arrogance gets too much on consumerhelp.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi Dclaw, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to Boards.ie. 

We are sorry to hear you were unaware of the Coin Lodgement policy until now. This policy was introduced and has been in practice in our branches since October 2013. 

As mentioned previously, we are unable to discuss the role of the bank in any policy changes on a public form. 

We appreciate all feedback and please be assured we will forward your comments to the relevant area. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Dclaw

Hi Dclaw, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to Boards.ie. 

We are sorry to hear you were unaware of the Coin Lodgement policy until now. This policy was introduced and has been in practice in our branches since October 2013. 

As mentioned previously, we are unable to discuss the role of the bank in any policy changes on a public form. 

We appreciate all feedback and please be assured we will forward your comments to the relevant area. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 
    Hi Elaine,

Thanks for the response.

I'm afraid your information campaign must have passed me by. I've certainly been in to the bank to exchange coins 3 or 4 times in the last year. I must have been lucky and hit the Friday and Tuesday windows. Or perhaps the staff themselves took the law into their own hands? Hurray for people.

I was actually asking what the role of the bank is since you're not willing to deal with standard cash transactions on a daily basis. From a customer perspective it strikes me as a primary function of a bank. To not be able to go into a bank during its opening hours and carry out a simple cash transaction is, at least for me, truly bizarre.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭fernandohierro

Hi just a quick query for you guys.

I have been collecting me loose change for the last few months. I'm going to cash this in shortly and change it to dollars.

Do you only accept full bags of coins?

Do the coin lodgment hours apply if its for currency exchange too?

If I have coins left over that don't fill a bag will they be accepted for currency exchange? If not what can I do with them?

Thanks

Hi Dclaw, 

Thanks for coming back to us. 

We are sorry that our coin lodgement policy has caused you annoyance. We are unable to discuss the role of the bank through public forms. 

If you would like to lodge a complaint regarding this policy please see here on our website for instructions on how to do so. 

Thank you, once again for your feedback and have a lovely weekend. 

Elaine 

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi fernandohierro, [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thank you for contacting us here on Boards.ie. [/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Our branches can only accept fully bagged coins. We are unable to accept loose coins. Coin lodgements can be made during the specified times i.e. Tuesday's from 10am till noon and all day Friday's. [/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Once lodged to your account you can then exchange the funds for dollars.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]We hope this helps and if we can assist you with anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us again. [/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks, [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Elaine [/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭fernandohierro

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi fernandohierro, [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thank you for contacting us here on Boards.ie. [/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Our branches can only accept fully bagged coins. We are unable to accept loose coins. Coin lodgements can be made during the specified times i.e. Tuesday's from 10am till noon and all day Friday's. [/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Once lodged to your account you can then exchange the funds for dollars.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]We hope this helps and if we can assist you with anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us again. [/font]

Hi Elaine,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I actually don't have a BOI account. Is this a problem?

Thanks

• Advertisement

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi fernandohierfo, [/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks for coming back to us. [/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Can I ask you to PM us with your name, telephone number and I will look into this further for you. [/font]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Just found this tread today from a Google search...

I'm just after sacrificing a lunch break to lodge >€1200 in BAGGED coins to a current account today at the Cork Airport branch and was hastily turned away. There were zero customers standing at the branch. What is that policy designed to do? What is the reasoning?

As a long term customer (>20 years) this is terrible non-flexible policy. 

Maybe it's time to just move on to PTSB.. they accept coins up to 15:00h every day!  :)

https://twitter.com/askpermanenttsb/status/450564085080662016

All the best/.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭Liamalone

lol this is a joke, a bank not doing bank stuff for the majority of the week. I thought my former bank was awful when they decided that they would only accept five bags per day lol. I soon made my feelings clear and then jumped ship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Tazio wrote: »
    Just found this tread today from a Google search...

I'm just after sacrificing a lunch break to lodge >€1200 in BAGGED coins to a current account today at the Cork Airport branch and was hastily turned away. There were zero customers standing at the branch. What is that policy designed to do? What is the reasoning?

As a long term customer (>20 years) this is terrible non-flexible policy. 

Maybe it's time to just move on to PTSB.. they accept coins up to 15:00h every day!  :)

https://twitter.com/askpermanenttsb/status/450564085080662016

All the best/.
    Hi Tazio

Sorry to hear you are unhappy with the coin policy. This has been introduced in all branches since late 2013. 

Branches can accept fully bagged coins at certain times and days, majority of our branches accept coin Tuesday 10 am- 12 pm and all day Friday. Some exceptions to the times and days here

Although we're not in a position to discuss the coin policy here in detail, we will pass on your concerns to our Branch Network Team. 

If we can be of help with other banking queries, please feel free to ask. 

Thanks
    Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭robwen

Can I ask is this coin policy still in place (Tuesday mornings & all day Friday) or has it changed since?

Also do I have to lodge the amount to my account or can I just get the cash direct over the counter?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

robwen wrote: »
    Can I ask is this coin policy still in place (Tuesday mornings & all day Friday) or has it changed since?

Also do I have to lodge the amount to my account or can I just get the cash direct over the counter?

Thanks
    Hi robwen, 

Thanks for your post here.

Personal customers can lodge fully bagged coins every day that counter services are offered in the specific branch. You can check on our Branch Locator for the counter service times of your local branch here. Business customers can lodge coins all day on Mondays and Fridays and also between 10am to 12pm on Tuesdays. You will need to lodge the coins to your account. 

Please let us know if we can help with any other query. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 6 joekdp

Hi,
    just wondering where can I buy rolls of 2016 Irish euro coins, all denominations, one or two rolls of each. or is it even possible?

thanks joekdp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara P

joekdp wrote: »
    Hi,
    just wondering where can I buy rolls of 2016 Irish euro coins, all denominations, one or two rolls of each. or is it even possible?

thanks joekdp
    Hi Joe, 

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards.ie. 

You can order coin for collection at your local branch via link here.

Regrettably we'd be unable to guarantee the year of the coin, 

Thanks, 
    Tara C

• Registered Users Posts: 1 FAzpiazu

Hi! 

I'm moving back to my country and I want to deposit 307.52€ in coins into my account in Bank of Ireland.

I've seen the policy about Tuesday/Friday but I'm not sure about what you mean with "fully bagged coins". Do I need special bags? If I bring them separated by coin sizes in different normal bags would that be acceptable?

Thanks,
    Fernando

• Registered Users Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

FAzpiazu wrote: »
    Hi! 

I'm moving back to my country and I want to deposit 307.52€ in coins into my account in Bank of Ireland.

I've seen the policy about Tuesday/Friday but I'm not sure about what you mean with "fully bagged coins". Do I need special bags? If I bring them separated by coin sizes in different normal bags would that be acceptable?

Thanks,
    Fernando
    I don't think they'll take that. You'll have to call in and ask for the official bags, in advance. My advice is that it isn't worth the hassle. Go to Tesco and use their counters instead. No bags needed

• Advertisement

FAzpiazu wrote: »
    Hi! 

Thanks,
    Fernando
    Good Morning FAzpiazu, 

Thank you for getting in touch with us and welcome to Boards.ie. 

If you hold a personal account you can lodge fully bagged coins every day where counter service is available. You can check your own branches specific times here on our website. When lodging coins you would need to use the specific coin bags available in most Bank of Ireland branch. These bags indicate the correct denominations, for example €1 in 1c coins. You would need to ensure that all your coins and the correct amounts are in the appropriate bags. Our branches can not accept loose coin. 

I hope this helps and if you need anything else, please let me know. 

Thank you, 
    Elaine 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Hi, how do I get these bags? Do I need to order them and come back a second time to collect the bags? How does this work? I have a 5 liter bottle full of coins. I need a large amount of coin bags, 1c 2c 5c 10c 20c 50c 1e 2e

thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara P

Poncke wrote: »
    Hi, how do I get these bags? Do I need to order them and come back a second time to collect the bags? How does this work? I have a 5 liter bottle full of coins. I need a large amount of coin bags, 1c 2c 5c 10c 20c 50c 1e 2e

thanks again

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us here on Boards.ie.

If you to branch they can provide you with coin bags.

If you hold a personal account you can lodge fully bagged coins every day where counter service is available.

See here to check counter service at your local branch.

Thanks,

Tara C

Advertisement