Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fibre supplements

• 27-01-2014 7:33pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm finding it really hard to get enough fibre in my diet at the moment. Can anyone recommend a fibre supplement?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Linseed hands down, seeds are cheap enough, you just need a "coffee grinder". You can probably buy them ready ground but they seem better just ground. Can add it to soups, stews or you can even use it as a flour replacement to make pancakes for breakfast but they do smell a bit in the pan, so added to a soup for lunch is about the easiest way I can think of using it.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Psyllium husk is cheap and easy to use. I throw it into a shake or porridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

2 spoon fulls in a glass of water every morning. Works a treat and is cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

I use fibe tablets I follow a high protein and very low carb diet, I find them great! That and my cucumber/kale/spinach/ broccoli juice I make every morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Emilyjane14

silverharp wrote: »
    Linseed hands down, seeds are cheap enough, you just need a "coffee grinder". You can probably buy them ready ground but they seem better just ground. Can add it to soups, stews or you can even use it as a flour replacement to make pancakes for breakfast but they do smell a bit in the pan, so added to a soup for lunch is about the easiest way I can think of using it.

If you have IBS or Diverticulitis would you be able to consume linsed?

Are wholegrain breads and bran flakes a good choice for increasing fibre in the diet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Are wholegrain breads and bran flakes a good choice for increasing fibre in the diet.

ground they should be fine but check online, I'd say linseed mixed with oatmeal is healthier than bran flakes as a breakfast option.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

Would you try Chia seeds, I find them great. I add 15g of whole chia seeds to a big glass of water. I leave for 20 mins and come back and drink. You could also buy them milled but it's cheaper to buy them whole. They are expensive little things though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I don't think you can have seeds with Diverticulitis. Not certain though.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Emilyjane14

Would you try Chia seeds, I find them great. I add 15g of whole chia seeds to a big glass of water. I leave for 20 mins and come back and drink. You could also buy them milled but it's cheaper to buy them whole. They are expensive little things though!

Do they taste nice or are they just good for your health?

I find some of these healthy options difficult to take on board.

I'll give these Chia seeds a try. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

Do they taste nice or are they just good for your health?

I find some of these healthy options difficult to take on board.

I'll give these Chia seeds a try. Thanks.

If you add the Chia seeds to your cereal/soup/casserole/stir fry/smoothie I don't think you would notice the difference at all. They don't taste of anything in particular.

When I add them to my glass of water they seem to dissolve and form a gel. There's loads of info about chia seeds on the net. I find them great for getting my fibre.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

What type of fibre? There are lots of kinds, soluble, insoluble etc.

I would minimise insoluble grain fibre personally, it's very harsh on the gut and binds minerals in food.

'Good' fibre is generally fruit and veg fibre. Great sources of soluble fibre include:

Onions
    Artichokes
    Asparagus
    Cabbage
    Brocolli
    Avocado

Soluble fibre is great because it feeds the good gut bacteria, probiotics have NOTHING on soluble fibre for improving and promoting a healthy gut.

Other good sources of insoluble veg fibre are:

Raw carrots (great 'mindless' eating snack)
    Raw sugar snap peas

Basically half your dinner plate should be veg and then you'll definitely get enough fibre.

Advertisement