Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Chemistry Olympiad

Options
  • 27-01-2014 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Good day. My teacher asked me to join the chemistry Olympiad on the 15th of February. Has anyone of you have any ideas what kind of questions will be given? Is it just about Chemistry topics that we study in school or do I need to have knowledge about advance chemistry as well? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

I did that about 10 years ago now... I can't imagine it will have changed too much.

In my day there were two parts to it, exam one was relatively simple chemistry - things like organic - name that functional group (although more than just the LC ones) and so on...

The second part was much harder, involved solving puzzles to do with chemistry but really a lot of it boiled down to being able to analyse problems and solve them rationally even if you didn't understand everything that was going on in the question.

In short, if you don't know that basics you haven't a hope but you also need to be able to solve puzzles.

So I'd say go for it, I really enjoyed it when I did it so I'd recommend going for it. Put in a bit of effort and try your best and you never know...

Also, if you are looking for problems to practice (these are hard examples so don't worry if you struggle and remember the basics are really important...) try some of these ones http://www.35icho.uoa.gr/ichol_eng/index_eng.htm or you can look up any other year they should have sample questions and actual questions too...

(I chose that one cause I got to go to it...)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Riashin

Thanks! Congratulations for qualifying to ICHO. (even tho it's 10 years ago) :D

I looked at the examples you linked to me. They're really hard omg :O

I'll definitely go and try that Olympiad but I won't be able to study that much for it cos I have my mocks starting on Monday. My teacher told me about it just yesterday too. But it will be a good experience. Thank you again!

Advertisement