Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim options for trail cam?

Options
  • 27-01-2014 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

I have decided to buy a MMS/email messaging trail cam. I'm just wondering what the best sim option is? Also is it more economical to transmit emails rather than MMS?

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 no2broady

From my own experience, it depends if you're going to get a bill pay or pay as you go sim. I'd check coverage in the area you're going to use the cam too. 3mobile were doing all you can eat data for €20 a month on pay as you go, if you go down that route it wouldn't matter if you sent data by email or mms.

no2

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Using meteor in mine.Appx 20 cents per mms pic.Not a problem until a herd of ruddy goats decide to drop in at 4AM under the camera and set it off using up 20 quids worth of credit in 5 mins flat.Especially if it is going to your mobile.:P:P

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

Great thanks I've ordered the 3mobile sim. According to their website the coverage is good in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

If anyone gets the Sun Tec (€150 on e-bay) it seems impossible to get settings for other networks to work. I tried 3mobile and o2 from settings data available online but couldn't get the unit to work on anything other than Meteor.

The network settings are input on your PC via the software per the CD provided, also available on the SunTec website for download. When you have made your selection, you click save and point to the SD card. This creates a file on the card which the camera can read. The instructions are in pigeon English and neglect to mention you need to remove sim pin before operation...Grrrr! Apart from that I'm happy, amazing value! Importantly the leds are black flash and illuminate night time pictures very well.

Advertisement