Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

28W 2D lamps failing

Options
  • 27-01-2014 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Lamps only last about 8 months. I have tried several different manufacturers over the years. Controlled by PIR so subjected to many swithching cycles daily - could this be the reason ? I wonder should I investigate using a LED substitute, if available ? Would welcome any suggestions. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

Set timer on pir to above 15 mins see does it make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Thanks for the suggestion. It is set for 2 minutes. I'll increase it to 15 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

If they start going black at the end of the tube, this is caused by the number of times that they are switched on and off.

So beanie10 said, try a longer cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

I find they last about 2 years even with normal use. I recall seeing these bulbs for 16 euro in woodies and then I got them for 4 euro in a wholesaler!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

here you go.........i found this out the hard way.....robus have much the same on there website some where

http://www.tamlite.co.uk/lab
    then go to downloads
    then open 2d lamp life pdf.........i cant link it directly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

LED "2D" maybe ?

Options: Microwave Sensor

http://www.zetaled.co.uk/led-2d-lamps.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

are the 4pin high frequency fittings affected the same way by short-on-times

or are the older type ballast/starter fittings worse?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

gctest50 wrote: »
    LED "2D" maybe ?

Yes, that is what I was thinking.

2011 wrote: »
    Yes, that is what I was thinking.

will be expensive..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

are the 4pin high frequency fittings affected the same way by short-on-times

or are the older type ballast/starter fittings worse?

They fail just as often,the endless on/off cycles caused by PIR's kills both lamps and fittings. We maintain large apartment complexes and have changed hundreds of these every year in each complex.

PIR's should never be put on fluorescent lighting,any saving in electricity consumption is lost replacing lamps and fittings,and then some.

Most are starting to replace them with LED 2D's now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 John Electrician

Superg is there any particular LED 2D fitting you recommend - are the LED type with built in PIR good.

Would it not be better to just replace with downlights & 4watt LED bulbs

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

will be expensive..
    It may be cheaper in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Have a problem like this is my local sports club. 4ft twin enclosed fluresents switched with PIR's are failing or bulbs going a lot. What fittings would ye think would last longer?

Superg is there any particular LED 2D fitting you recommend - are the LED type with built in PIR good.

Would it not be better to just replace with downlights & 4watt LED bulbs

I can't think of the brand they use right now mate but i'd never heard of it before. They got them in bulk on the cheap.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Have a problem like this is my local sports club. 4ft twin enclosed fluresents switched with PIR's are failing or bulbs going a lot. What fittings would ye think would last longer?

All fluro's fittings are going to have this problem. Switch to LED or get rid of the PIR's. There's no savings with PIR's its a con,you just end up replacing lamps and fittings more often which cost you more than the lamp being left on ever would.

It's a pet hate of mine.The very nature of fluro's means high inrush current each time they startup which puts a strain on the lamp plus the fitting and costs you more in electricity.Turn them on and leave them on or put them on a timer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭LeBash

PIR with zero point switching will help. They switch at 0 deg point of the waveform and lower the impact on the ballast. There are 2 i know of that have this.

The lamp cathode is a little different. Put longer times to stop the number of times it switches but the bill will increase. There will be busy switching times several times a day and the 2 min delay will cause an issue in any common area.

Removing the PIR is throwing the baby out with the bathwater IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

superg wrote: »
    All fluro's fittings are going to have this problem. Switch to LED or get rid of the PIR's. There's no savings with PIR's its a con,you just end up replacing lamps and fittings more often which cost you more than the lamp being left on ever would.

It's a pet hate of mine.The very nature of fluro's means high inrush current each time they startup which puts a strain on the lamp plus the fitting and costs you more in electricity.Turn them on and leave them on or put them on a timer.

+1 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Imo the hf lamps last a lot longer than standard lamps on PIRs

The problem with these in apartments is once again Imo, due to the emergency packs, the emergency 2D fittings on PIRs is a nightmare. A huge ppercentage of the 2Ds used in apartments are set up for emergency use, in or around 50% if they are being used in the corridors and stairwell as we've all seen in the countless budget apartment projects carried out over the past 20 years.

The most cost effective method would be hf 2D with recessed or surface standalone emergency fittings.
    If possible never buy a combined standard / emergency fitting again unless it is a standalone internal unit like the new LEDs that are recessed into fittings.

All that said 2Ds are over used and a bit poxy.
    But a decent HF fitting from a decent manufacturer will work better and last longer than a standard control gear fitting and a fitting converted to emergency use.

Some of the wholesalers have a 2D with a standalone LED emergency lamp, I think they are around 90euro.
    Ive seen a few LED versions of 2D fittings they are competitive enough but they look like Chinese unbranded units so the data supplied is dodgy.

I've also seen guys sell a 2D body but with no control gear, just a standard BC holder fitted into it so you can pop in a CFL, bit of fast one, Imo, looked like a child put it together, once someone pops in a 75W bulb the bodies will melt.

ya...i was thinking the HF would operate much better on PIR

http://www.meteorelectrical.com/lighting-lamps_led-lamps-lighting_led-lamps_2d-led-lamps.html

meteor has a range of gadgets for conversion to led:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

We had the same problem where I work,constant switching of the 2 d fittings in stairwells,at least 3 fires started from the capacitors popping and melting the plastic covers,

We swapped them all out to led,light output is great and there is zero heat!

• Advertisement

We also got a sample led alternative to 36w fluros,excellent but expensive!

The apartments we do are all HF. Both emergency and normal fitting.The all blow lamps or die altogether with monotonous regularity.Still,keeps me in a job.I would agree the EM go more often,but not much more often.

Advertisement