Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost Husky. Heatherview/Greenfort Area.

Options
  • 27-01-2014 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    Just posting this on behalf of a friend of a friend. Her Siberian husky ran away from the house of a friend who was looking after it for a few days. It has been missing a week and a half and she is distraught. She's had several reports that it was seen around the estates mentioned above, the Mace across from the GAA grounds and even the 24hr on Pearse road and that general area.
    The dog is grey and white with brown eyes (not the usual husky blue) and she is wearing a pale green collar. She's very timid and not likely to growl or bite.
    If you see her or even better, can catch her, there is a reward offered. I don't know the owner but have been looking around the area in question. Most recent report was yesterday afternoon.
    I don't have a picture of the dog or any contact details but I think there is info on the Go Strandhill Facebook page. Or post here. Anything would be helpful.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

You may be interested in this Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/All-Ireland-Siberian-Husky-Club/113462168397?ref=ts&fref=ts.
    They often post about huskys that have gone missing, or have been found.
    Hope you find the dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

To be honest at this stage I think everybody has heard about Kai. Plenty people searching for her and last spotted today at Heatherview at 1:30pm. Sligo Animal Rescue has kept abreast of updates and the Sligo Champion had her picture in last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    To be honest at this stage I think everybody has heard about Kai. Plenty people searching for her and last spotted today at Heatherview at 1:30pm. Sligo Animal Rescue has kept abreast of updates and the Sligo Champion had her picture in last week.

I know. They've made a huge effort. Just putting it out there more in hope than expectation really. As a husky owner myself I hate to think of her wandering around in this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

have been up every evening in the estates having a look but nothing so far. i suspect she's up in the woods and nipping into civilisation from time to time, if she's in the woods she would be very hard found. there's been a lot of sightings. hope she's found given the poor girls circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

Read about it on the paper, such a lovely, hope you find it soon.

• Advertisement

promethius wrote: »
    have been up every evening in the estates having a look but nothing so far. i suspect she's up in the woods and nipping into civilisation from time to time, if she's in the woods she would be very hard found. there's been a lot of sightings. hope she's found given the poor girls circumstances.

The woods behind Holy Well? Might be. I might try there tomorrow. Some poor hiker will think he's come across a wolf :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

il gatto wrote: »
    The woods behind Holy Well? Might be. I might try there tomorrow. Some poor hiker will think he's come across a wolf :)

lol. i meant the cairns hill woods but i guess they would extend down to the holy well alright. big woods hard to find a dog that doesn't want to be found or is scared etc.

promethius wrote: »
    lol. i meant the cairns hill woods but i guess they would extend down to the holy well alright. big woods hard to find a dog that doesn't want to be found or is scared etc.

Just thought of that after I posted. Will take a walk up by the waterworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Poor Kai, I really hope she found soon - her owner must be frantic too! Will take spin around the area tomorrow evening as am familiar enough with it- the more people looking the better the chance of her being spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

il gatto wrote: »
    Hi.
    Just posting this on behalf of a friend of a friend. Her Siberian husky ran away from the house of a friend who was looking after it for a few days.

My concern would be, did the dog actually run away (was it observed doing so) or was the dog taken? Now I know you mentioned reported sightings in the area, but more often than not these can be well intentioned but inaccurate. Again the worry would be the dog being taken. My reasons for this is based on the amount of people I know and have heard of having their Huskies taken from homes/gardens. Sadly they are a prime target for dogs thieves throughout the country. But if she did run off, I would suggest keeping an eye out for her outside of the geographical area mentioned. Dogs can cover quite a distance on their travels and the Husky more than most.

Another thing I would suggest is the owners house location and the person who was minding her's house location. With her the owner away, the dog could have freaked out with separation anxiety and fled. She could possibly be making her way back to her owners home. It wouldn't be the first time that a dog has done so. So I would suggest keeping an eye out if travelling the route between the owners home and the minders home. Anyway, the best of luck to ye and I hope there's a happy ending here.

• Advertisement

My concern would be, did the dog actually run away (was it observed doing so) or was the dog taken? Now I know you mentioned reported sightings in the area, but more often than not these can be well intentioned but inaccurate. Again the worry would be the dog being taken. My reasons for this is based on the amount of people I know and have heard of having their Huskies taken from homes/gardens. Sadly they are a prime target for dogs thieves throughout the country. But if she did run off, I would suggest keeping an eye out for her outside of the geographical area mentioned. Dogs can cover quite a distance on their travels and the Husky more than most.

Another thing I would suggest is the owners house location and the person who was minding her's house location. With her the owner away, the dog could have freaked out with separation anxiety and fled. She could possibly be making her way back to her owners home. It wouldn't be the first time that a dog has done so. So I would suggest keeping an eye out if travelling the route between the owners home and the minders home. Anyway, the best of luck to ye and I hope there's a happy ending here.

That was my first thoughts as well but apparently the sightings (some of them at least) were fairly certain. I've been keeping my eyes peeled everywhere though. Owning a husky I tend to notice them more than other breeds. One wandering around with no owner would be something I'd spot a mile off. I never let my guy off the lead out of the back garden. Their instinct is to run. By the time they stop and look for their owner, they've got themselves lost. They're a real family dog/pack animal. They don't like being alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Spotted today at 2pm around Heatherview. Definitive sighting with green collar. Hopefully she falls into the right hands before the bad weather expected hits at the weekend!

Advertisement