If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Path

Options
  • 27-01-2014 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

Hi, 
       I was wondering if you could help me. I have a Yamaha RX-V765 receiver and a set of Jamo S426 floorstanders and Jamo S420 surrounds. I have this set about 4 years the problem is i never really got the surround sound experience with this setup. Maybe the positioning of my speakers is not great, I have no Sub woofer.
       I expect the problem is with my speakers as they were not very expensive, what speakers would go well with the Receiver. I have a small enough room and i really am looking to experiance a deep surround sound for watching movies, TV and the occasional PS4 game.

What are your toughts.

P.S. if i was to sell my speaker set on Adverts what do you think would be a reasonable price, they are in perfect condition and have never been driven hard.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Irishder, thanks for the post.

If you have a Yamaha RXV765 receiver then I would definitely suggest something better to match up with that receiver and the subwoofer makes a huge difference when it comes to movies and the overall depth of the system.

I have to admit that I'm not overly familiar with your speakers as we didn't sell these and there are very few Jamo dealers around so I haven't heard them. Unfortunately I wouldn't like to guess at the second hand value. 

If you have a small room then going for in-expensive floorstanders like these is usually the wrong way to go and a speaker package would tend to work better in that environment.

It really depends on the budget but I would suggest :

Wharfedale DX1 - 5 * What Hifi award winner and a very decent package - I would reckon this would have a better balance to it compared to what you have. A decent upgrade but not huge.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/wharfedale/dx1-hcp/whar-dx1

Cambridge Minx 21 - A system made for movies and TV but not so much for music. Another award winner and seriously stylish and compact. A good upgrade to what you have.

http://www.richersounds.com/package/speakers/speaker-packages/pah01469

The package that I would put with this receiver is the Monitor Audio Mass package. The 765 shines with this pack and this package works brilliantly for movies/tv/games and music. It's the What Hifi best package under £1000 for 2012 and is now reduced to £699.95 from £799.95 when it won the award. I genuinely haven't heard a better package that's less than about £1200. The beauty of this package is the open sound is produces and Yamaha have that type of sound, so the 2 combined is a real marriage.

http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=&Mode=0&CategoryID=5&SUB=100&ProductID=1314

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/mass/#/reviews

This is a long term package and one that would not need changed for quite some time.

Hope that helps but let me know what you think.

ATB

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Thanks for getting back to me, plenty to mull over. How much is shipping to Waterford?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Irish, at the most, it would be £12.99 but we'll see what we can do, depending on what way you decide to go. :)

ATB

Dave

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.