Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rename forum?

Options
  • 27-01-2014 9:52pm
    Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm proposing to rename this forum "Open Source Software". I keep having to move threads elsewhere on the site, because new (and sometimes, strangely, not so new) visitors don't know what "Open Source" means and assume that it means something like "Ask Me Anything".

Or something, I've still never quite figured out why it happens.

I thought about including the name "Free Software" for the Stallmanites, but that would just be a honeypot for the -as-in-beer types, so I'm not keen to go that route.

I'm conscious that we have occasional mention of open source hardware in here also, and I don't mean in any way to alienate discussion of such; just the title, ma'am.

What say ye?

Rename the forum to Open Source Software? 8 votes

Yup
    0% 0 votes
    Nope (please explain why below)
    100% 8 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Open source hardware wouldn't be covered?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Spear wrote: »
    Open source hardware wouldn't be covered?

It would. That might not be obvious from the proposed name, but I'd be more than happy for it still to have a home here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Open Source Computing?

It's not a busy forum, but all the threads started about cars are really annoying...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Grudaire wrote: »
    Open Source Computing?

It's not a busy forum, but all the threads started about cars are really annoying...

When I read the opening post, I thought something similar.... maybe Open Source Technogies - covering hardware, software, teleportation, hover boards, etc... (;))

But a change to open source software (or computing) is fine either.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

we do get an unusual number of post re cars & plumbing so the current name must not be clear.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

croo wrote: »
    we do get an unusual number of post re cars & plumbing so the current name must not be clear.

Rename it N&F2....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Open Source Computing would seem to cover both hardware and software.

Not sure what would do this and include free/libre .....

Libre & Open Source Computing?

Advertisement