Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix extra charge?

Options
  • 27-01-2014 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

I was looking at bank statement, and it had two charges under the name of NETFLIX.COM, one was 7.99, I was expecting this, but the other was 1.00, I asked about this one and customer service said it was probably statetax, but I have been googling it for almost an hour now and can't find anything about it. Does everyone else have this charge? I had it for a few months during the summer and this never happened.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Sometimes service providers test the validity of a credit card by putting a small charge on it (usually a Euro). This is usually refunded or given as account credit. I wonder if that's what's happened here.

However, I have a Netflix account and I've never seen this.

If Netflix can't explain it, then raise it with your credit card provider. It could be a tester for a fraudulent transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LisaNiChon

I plan on going into the bank to get more info on it tomorrow if I can't sort it out, I know it's just a euro but I want to know where my money is going.

I don't think it's a credit card thing, it came under a description NETFLIX.COM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Its a pre authorisation on the card. It shows that the card is active and money on it. No need to worry, you will get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,218 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I think it's a sepa test, would just contact Netflix if you don't get a refund in the next week, the bank won't have a clue. Seems to be a bit of it going on if that's it and not just netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LisaNiChon

I got in contact with some other customer service agent at Netflix, it was something I did not understand when they explained it but I didn't challenge it, they refunded the euro and the monthly charge as well [minus the tax that was included in that, so 6.95 of the 7.99]. Happy enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭paul71

I think it's a sepa test, would just contact Netflix if you don't get a refund in the next week, the bank won't have a clue. Seems to be a bit of it going on if that's it and not just netflix.

Exactly this.

SEPA tests are happening in a lot of companies at the moment. Most appear to write to their customers to inform them of it, but netflix don't keep postal address details, they only require email address and card number for signup so you could have an email in your inbox you have not spotted. The €1 charge should refunded fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i signed up during December 2013, and got that month free as advertised. They took for my first month yesterday, i was only charged 6.99, I was not charged anything else, not even a pre-authorisation.

I did receive an email from netflix last week, stating that there prices are going up to 7.99 for new customers, but that my bill will be unaffected as i signed up in December. Could they have mistakenly charged the OP an extra €1.

Advertisement