Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What now....Sanderson or Hobb??

• 27-01-2014 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Been reading The Wheel of Time series for the last two years or so.... absolutely LOVED every minute of it. .. feel so sad that is over, literally feel like I've lost a good friend :(

So what now. ..?
    Was thinking maybe some more Sanderson. .. I have Elantris or perhaps Hobb..??

Any recommendations? I love good traditional fantasy....!

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭iPink

iPink wrote: »
    Been reading The Wheel of Time series for the last two years or so.... absolutely LOVED every minute of it. .. feel so sad that is over, literally feel like I've lost a good friend :(

So what now. ..?
    Was thinking maybe some more Sanderson. .. I have Elantris or perhaps Hobb..??

Any recommendations? I love good traditional fantasy....!

Thanks in advance :)

I'm leaning towards Erikson now too... Malazan Book of The Fallen. ..??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Robin Hobb, Kate Elliott (Crown of Stars), George RR Martin, Glen Cook are probably my top picks in fantasy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Try Mistborn by Sanderson, very good trilogy + an excellent follow-up steampunk novel "Alloy of Law".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

resized_all_the_things.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'm leaning towards Erikson now too... Malazan Book of The Fallen. ..??
    Read the Book of the Fallen or I'll ban you :D

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »

Lol ok!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Lol ok!!
    In all seriousness, it's very different to Hobb. Hobb is much more in the traditional fantasy mould and very strong on characters but don't expect elaborate world building.

Sanderson's Mistborn series is great fun. It's got a good pace, plenty of neat twists, and an excellent magic system that lends itself well to the plot but also the action.

Erikson's Malazan series is on a different level. In terms of world building it's at an astonishing level with elements spread over multiple continents (and more) and spanning millennia. A massive cast and elaborate plots where Erikson refuses to spoon feed you and makes you work out the connections. It's a big under taking but well worth it. Just be warned it's a challenger but absolutely worth it in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭frenchmartini

I'm in the middle of Hobb's Farseer Trilogy and am loving it. Wonderful characters, great story. Highly recommend.

I'm going with Elantris by Sanderson just for now. .. only because I already had it on epub & audio & was desperate to start something last night!! I will defo get round to Hobb & Erikson next. .. Though the reviews on Erikson do scare me just a bit!!! Lol
    In terms of complexity. .. it's there anything you would compare it to (gunslinger, tolkien, sof&i)??? I tend to read at night when my brain isn't always at its best & listen when I'm doing other stuff like washing up... cleaning etc so am not always 100% attentive to what I'm listening to! If that makes any sense? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

I'm going with Elantris by Sanderson just for now. .. only because I already had it on epub & audio & was desperate to start something last night!! I will defo get round to Hobb & Erikson next. .. Though the reviews on Erikson do scare me just a bit!!! Lol
    In terms of complexity. .. it's there anything you would compare it to (gunslinger, tolkien, sof&i)??? I tend to read at night when my brain isn't always at its best & listen when I'm doing other stuff like washing up... cleaning etc so am not always 100% attentive to what I'm listening to! If that makes any sense? :)
    I'd rate it higher than asoiaf in terms of intricacy and challenge, for what it's worth. Forgot to mention it in my post, but heartily recommended by me too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

ixoy wrote: »

I bought it when someone mentioned it on here (when it was €1.49 in Dealz). Haven't started it yet. Once I start a series, I have to read them straight through. Did that last summer with Wheel of Time and just recently Sword of Truth. Don't know if I can go through that just yet, especially when you guys mentioned that there's a lot of characters. I will get to it and Hobb.

So many books, so little time.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

I would also recommend the sword of shadows series by JV Jones, its a really good read, the only downside is its 2 books from completion and she doesn't update on when books are likely to be released. I would place the series as her best and is up there with GRRM or Robert Jordan.

Advertisement