Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Routine - want to vary sets/ranges

• 27-01-2014 11:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭

Here is my routine which I'm starting this week:

Workout 1
    Squat
    Straight Leg Deadlift
    Leg Press
    Calf Raise

Workout 2
    Flat/Incline Bench Press
    Incline/Flat dumbbell Press
    Dumbbell/Cable Flyes
    Skullcrushers
    Tricep Extensions

Workout 3
    Deadlift
    Military Press
    Dumbbell Shrugs
    Cable/Barbell Row

Workout 4
    Squat (low weight, high reps)
    Barbell Bicep Curl
    Bicep Concentration Curl

Lateral dumbbell raise
    Front Dumbbell raise
    Rear Delt Raise

What way should I structure my reps/ranges for stimulating muscle growth?

My Deadlift has dropped significantly as I have switched to an overhand grip on advice from a PT.

The second set of squats in workout 4 is primarily to stimulate the growth hormones and to practice/ensure correct form and depth in the exercise. I know this should also apply to Monday, but I can get to parallel with a reasonable weight so want to keep continuing and hope that I can maintain my form.

Any advice would be appreciated. I thought about mixing in pyramids, dropsets, partials (esp for bench & DL), rest-pause.

Do I only do these for the large compound exercises or would it be done too for the smaller isolation type exercises?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Calorie surplus and some GVT and you'll be on your way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

My Deadlift has dropped significantly as I have switched to an overhand grip on advice from a PT.

What was his reason behind this advice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Risk of bicep tear and imbalance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you do it right, bicep tearage shouldn't be a risk.

Swicth grip for each set if you're worried about imbalances. Or just go with mixed grip for your top set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I never really understood the whole imbalance thing with mixed grips. The arms aren't working, only the grip -and both should be equal anyway.

Bicep tears happen when you
    Lift it incorrectly, not from mixed grip itself

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies. I'll speak to him about it.

In terms or reps/ranges for pyramids, dropsets, partials (esp for bench & DL), rest-pause what should I be looking at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Thanks for the replies. I'll speak to him about it.

In terms or reps/ranges for pyramids, dropsets, partials (esp for bench & DL), rest-pause what should I be looking at?

You should be looking at a mix of heavy weight-low reps, medium weight-medium reps and LIGHT WEIGHT-high reps.

Any advice would be appreciated. I thought about mixing in pyramids, dropsets, partials (esp for bench & DL), rest-pause.

Do I only do these for the large compound exercises or would it be done too for the smaller isolation type exercises?

Hi again,

Thanks - just wondering if anyone can help me with the reps/ranges here please? I would like to add these in for variety, but am unsure what the correct way to do this is.

Advertisement