Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spraying my bike

• 27-01-2014 11:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Only toying with the idea with the moment but was hoping to spray paint the bike a matt black. There are a few different parts which would need doing; tank, front headlight cover and front mud guard so a mixture of metal and plastic needs to be done. The bike in question is a 09 hornet so don't want to a make a balls of it. Has anyone done this themselves before and how have they gone about it to make a proper job of it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭lego101

A few tips :
    make sure the surface is primed with a fine grit sand-paper and cleaned well.
    use LIGHT layers ! for a long lasting and drip free finish!
    finish off in a few layers of clear coat to protect from hairline scratches revealing the past paintjob!

also, use good quality spray paint! Personally I'd choose Montanna 94 personally :) Nice and cheap at about 4.25 a can from All-City Dublin, the stuff at B&Q for twice the price Isnt as good in my experience!

Take it slow and enjoy :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ktm

Just be aware that you could very well devalue your bike , what you like might not be to everyones taste, and people might be suspicious that the bike was down the road.

That said, me mate sprayed his hornet 600 matt black, looks very well, but he is very good at painting, has done helmets for people etc so knows what he is doing.

If youve never done it before maybe practice on something first, do your prep right, and dont rush it. Its a bit cold at the moment so if your in a cold shed things take longer to dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Cheers for the responses lads, I know its a dodgy thing to attempt but I reckon it would look savage in matt black. Regards prep work on the plastic parts does there need to be scouring done here or just priming!

Also regarding practising, would it be worthwhile trying it on an older tank first? I have an older bike for running around on which may be worthwhile attempting on first!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Big-Mac

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    Cheers for the responses lads, I know its a dodgy thing to attempt but I reckon it would look savage in matt black. Regards prep work on the plastic parts does there need to be scouring done here or just priming!

Also regarding practising, would it be worthwhile trying it on an older tank first? I have an older bike for running around on which may be worthwhile attempting on first!

Use some Matt black plasti dip, and when you are finished just peel it off! Great stuff and leaves a great finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Big-Mac wrote: »
    Use some Matt black plasti dip, and when you are finished just peel it off! Great stuff and leaves a great finish.

How does this work?
    Lash it on everything and whatever is not plastic it just peels off ie glass on lights?
    Where do get it?

• Advertisement

How does this work?
    Lash it on everything and whatever is not plastic it just peels off ie glass on lights?
    Where do get it?

Yes pretty much, it will apply to most surfaces not just plastic. When it's dry peel it off where you don't want it.

Check donedeal and adverts.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

For gods sake dont attempt to paint an 09 bike with rattle cans. You will destroy the bike and struggle to get a professional finish if you dont use 2k paint and a spraygun. Plastic parts are hardest, you need special primers to ensure paint sticks properly. If you are covering previous damage or the bike is bright pink and you *must* paint it then either get a pro to do it or get it vinyl wrapped.

'c

For gods sake dont attempt to paint an 09 bike with rattle cans. You will destroy the bike and struggle to get a professional finish if you dont use 2k paint and a spraygun. Plastic parts are hardest, you need special primers to ensure paint sticks properly. If you are covering previous damage or the bike is bright pink and you *must* paint it then either get a pro to do it or get it vinyl wrapped.

'c

The plasti dip is like a spray on vinyl wrap. You just peel it off if you don't like it.

Advertisement