Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballymun or Glasnevin?

Options
  • 28-01-2014 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Right so I was sitting with a friend today and she was talking about where she was from which was Pappins Road in ........ and that's where we got stuck.

Technically, Pappin's Road is Glasnevin but.... It wasn't Glasnevin when she was born. Anyone from the area might remember that it was in fact Ballymun until the council or whoever threw a set of traffic lights up at Glasnevin Avenue which was Ballymun Avenue at the time, and called all that end Glasnevin.

We both say that she's from Ballymun and most people I know from Ballymun would say the same, some even go as far as saying 'Don't say you're from Glasnevin. Ballymun and Glasnevin are all the same'.

So what are you're opinions on it?

Is she from Glasnevin or is she from Ballymun?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I consider it Glasnevin myself.

The Eurospar at the end of it has (or at least used to have) a sign saying Eurospar Ballymun though interestingly enough.

Of course, it doesn't really matter

Edit: Worth mentioning I know people living on the road itself and they''ve always considered it Glasnevin

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Glasnevin.. I grew up in Ballymun and not one person I know would refer to it as Ballymun.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JordanG990

Every person from Ballymun that I know says that if you were born in that part of Glasnevin before it was changed over to Glasnevin then you are from Ballymun, even now while it is still technically Glasnevin, people refer to anyone from there as being from Ballymun and nearly 80 other people agree with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

As an southsider, I'm always a little confused... Where do people generally draw the boundaries with Glasnevin? It seems to me that the suburb creeps in all directions, with no proper centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JordanG990

Well in my opinion, Pappins Road, Dean Swift Road/Green, Maolbuille Road, Wadleai and Glasnevin Avenue (formally Ballymun Avenue) and the (close by) surrounding areas should be considered Ballymun because originally it was Ballymun.

The rest I feel is Glasnevin even though I understand that technically the whole lot is.

I've heard from people from the Maolbuille Road and Dean Swift Road who consider themselves Ballymun but I've also heard from a few people from Pappins Road and Maoilbuille who have said they are Glasnevin.

I suppose it will just be one of those arguments where nobody is right.

At the end of the day, if I was born in Ballymun and a few years later the council decided to extend Glasnevin and change my address, I'd still consider myself from Ballymun because that was originally my address. So it's all to do with opinions I guess :)

I've also just found out that the area even further than that known as Willow Park, Pinewood and Ceadarwood are also 'technically' Glasnevin but then I found out that it is actually Ballymun Ward F and Ballymun Ward E. So that is one example of how parts of Glasnevin is wrongly or mistakenly named.

I've also found this.

The Irish state is legally divided into Regions, Counties and then Electoral Divisions. There are also townlands but their legal weight is under dispute constantly, there were some landmark placename disputes in the past where the townland has come up as something thats "optional" especially in new urban areas.

So nobody will know but I would imagine that it would be quite awkward for people who are from the above places to explain to other people where they are from :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

As my father used to say...depends if you're buying or selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The berliner is what separates ballymun from glasnevin and santry if you're living on the city side of it then you're not from ballymun

If you dont know what the berliner is then don't be giving opinions on the matter :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I have a mate who lives in ballymun and he calls glasnevin the posh part of ballymun

still both kips though :L

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Aard wrote: »
    As an southsider, I'm always a little confused... Where do people generally draw the boundaries with Glasnevin? It seems to me that the suburb creeps in all directions, with no proper centre.

I think that most people would look on the "centre" of Glasnevin as being from the Met Office down to the entrance to the Botanic Gardens. That is where the school, church, shops, pubs, hospital & the Botanic Gardens enterance all are. It may or may not be the geographic centre, but its certainly Glasnevin's busiest street, with the most things on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

The whole "Glasnevin North" thing is an amalgamation of Ballymun "south" as listed and Finglas East. The people officially and unofficially changed their address because of a mix of snobbery and the reputed bad rep of the neighbouring suburbs. Glasnevn North will never be considered real Glasnevin, its bloody too far away from the real thing! :)

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    The berliner is what separates ballymun from glasnevin and santry if you're living on the city side of it then you're not from ballymun

If you dont know what the berliner is then don't be giving opinions on the matter :p

Ohhh, there's a proper old Ballymun'er for ya now!.. Don't be listening to the blow in's eh Bambi ;)

I have no idea what (or who) The Berliner is & I am from the area. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

I'm not from the area and even I know The Berliner.
    My aunt lives around that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

We recently moved into Clonmel Road (just off Maolbuile) and so far I've heard the area described as Glasnevin, Glasnevin North, Ballygall, Finglas East and Ballymun.

FWIW.. we found some old letters and invoices in the house when we moved in and they were addressed to Ballymun in the 60's, Glasnevin North in the 80's and now it's just Glasnevin.

Hopefully that clears it up :P

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I have no idea what (or who) The Berliner is & I am from the area. :D

The Berliner, or 'The Berlin Wall' was/is a wall & fence separating Glasnevin and Santry (old) from Ballymun.. It more or less ran from the top of Sillogue Road across to the four stories in Shangan Ave.

During the 70's and 80's residents from Ballymun (north of the wall) couldn't send their children to schools in Glasnevin, or join the credit union (when we'd none of our own).. There used to be a kids disco in Victories school which we weren't welcome to, and if a few of us ventured into Glasnevin it wasn't uncommon for adults or the Guards to turn us around and send us back into Ballymun.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ohhh, there's a proper old Ballymun'er for ya now!.. Don't be listening to the blow in's eh Bambi ;)

I don't listen to most of the shams who've lived here all their life either :pac:

The Berliner, or 'The Berlin Wall' was/is a wall & fence separating Glasnevin and Santry (old) from Ballymun.. It more or less ran from the top of Sillogue Road across to the four stories in Shangan Ave.

During the 70's and 80's residents from Ballymun (north of the wall) couldn't send their children to schools in Glasnevin, or join the credit union (when we'd none of our own).. There used to be a kids disco in Victories school which we weren't welcome to, and if a few of us ventured into Glasnevin it wasn't uncommon for adults or the Guards to turn us around and send us back into Ballymun.

Oh ok. I understand now. I think. Ich bin ein Berliner and all that....:D

I didn't go to school in the area, so I guess a lot of that stuff just went over my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Well according to this I didn't know about the Berliner, and neither did my aunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    I have a mate who lives in ballymun and he calls glasnevin the posh part of ballymun

Get up the yard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Maybe your friend should take a trip to Iona or cremore and ask one of the solicitors or doctors who lives there what's it like living in ballymum? Most of glasnevin is red brick houses built before the 1940s for wealthy Protestant's that didn't want to live in the city as places like cremore were farm land until the 1960s but were linked with trams to the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭harry999

Anybody know a good class ? what time takes place ? what cost ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

The area around cedarwood etc is called old ballymun. According to bono at least. The glasnevin north label is just snobbery. Pappins road, benevin and wadelai area are often called called finglas east by locals

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The area around cedarwood etc is called old ballymun. According to bono at least. The glasnevin north label is just snobbery. Pappins road, benevin and wadelai area are often called called finglas east by locals

When cedar wood was originally built and many of the surrounding streets, the developer marketed the houses as Poppintree.

I had the original sales flyer with original pricing, but stupid me lost it a year or 2 ago!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Ballymun proper (the original high rise flats and adjoining low rise social housing estates) was built between 1966 and 1975, with the flats themselves built between 1966 and 1969 and then Poppintree built in the 1970s and early 80s.

I think Wadelai dates from the 1950s, and Glasnevin Avenue (which was called Ballymun Avenue until about 1976) and adjoining estates were built in the early to mid 60s, just before Ballymun itself was started. I’ve always considered the area as Glasnevin myself, as does a mate who is from Willow Park but when they were first built and sold they might have been marketed as Ballymun as the area didn’t get its negative reputation until the 1970s.

“Old” Glasnevin is the original village near the Met Office, St Mobhi Road, Iona Road, Cremore and the immediate vicinity which was developed between 1905 and 1940. Old Glasnevin is a lovely area. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

How is glasnevin a kip?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

How is glasnevin a kip?

He called it a kip 4 years ago. Maybe he has changed his mind since.

And, are you calling Ballymun a kip? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

He called it a kip 4 years ago. Maybe he has changed his mind since.

And, are you calling Ballymun a kip? :)

Ooops and no. :pac:

Advertisement