Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT jobs in Sligo

Options
  • 28-01-2014 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

I am new to boards so excuse me if I am posting in the wrong section of the forum. Seeing as my topic relates to technology jobs in Sligo I assumed that this section would be the most appropriate.
    I am from Sligo town myself and I have been keeping an eye for out for jobs in the area of technology for the past year but to no avail.
    Currently I am employed in an IT company in Blackrock where I am a software tester for a medium sized company. I am employed there for the last 2 years but I am finding it hard to settle down in Dublin and would give anything to move back to Sligo.
    My situation is that I am a business IT graduate from NUIG with 2 years experience in the workplace but I am still brain bashing as to which career path would suit me best.
    Is there anybody out there who has been in a similar situation and found work back in Sligo in the IT sector? Or have experience in Software testing field and changed career path?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Slight deviation, but is Software Testing tough to get into?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

sounds like me a few years ago ... I worked in a software company in Blackrock and got an IT Job in Sligo .. but with the HSE ..been here about 10 years now ... have you tried Collins McNichol? the recruitment agency? they might have an IT job currently on their books ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 grahamG90

Slight deviation, but is Software Testing tough to get into?

Thats a hard question to answer! In my job a lot of the testing I do would be manual testing and I use little coding knowledge from college. Any business graduate would be capable of performing the work I do but it helps immensely the fact that I know even basic coding languages.
    In some other companies, software testing use more automated methods in tests which require a good background of coding to perform tests.
    As I use very little automation I would regard my skills of lesser value than if I were using automation, therefore concluding that it would be easier to get into manual testing roles rather than automated ones.

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    sounds like me a few years ago ... I worked in a software company in Blackrock and got an IT Job in Sligo .. but with the HSE ..been here about 10 years now ... have you tried Collins McNichol? the recruitment agency? they might have an IT job currently on their books ....

The only jobs I have seen on Collins McNicholl have been 3 .NET development jobs. As my programming capabilities have lacked somewhat since leaving college I don't see myself running into one of those roles any time soon.
    I could imagine myself in a Sales/business analyst/Project management role but it is impossible to know where I go from here to get into one of those positions within a company, let alone even Sligo :(
    Scarlet, were you a software tester in Dublin? In Sligo?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

I did some testing in Dublin .. but moved more into the Software Engineering side.. Was in Blackrock for about 4 years.. working now in SAP did some automation testing but mostly SAP support at the moment.

You could try giving them a call and see if they have anything thats not on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭scarlet43

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

When you see the like of Abbotts letting go staff then the rest of us better look out..

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

You should Try Pramerica in Letterkenny. I know one or two people in Sligo who work from home for them as software testers in a full time/professional capacity. They are large company similar to Abbott.

http://www.pramerica.ie/index.html

Advertisement